jazz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

jazz

I haven't heard this talked about yet. What would you guys recommend as a jazz guitar? I've been looking at everything, from Gibson to Ibanez to Gretsch, and I just don't really know. I've always liked Gibson jazz guitars but I really like the Gretsch White Falcon and I even like the Ibanez AK85, the one with the wooden bridge. I just want something that will give that fat jazzy punch and look cool at the same time. Let's hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:01 PM

Wow, how much are you looking to spend? There are hundreds of guitars that fit the jazz bill. You should also check out rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz for their insights, as they live and breathe it.

For what it's worth, I have a 70's Ibanez archtop and a tele-like RG580 I use for jazz boxes. The most important aspect of getting the jazz sound down isn't the instrument though, it's the lessons. Consider not buying a guitar at all and spending your money on a jazz teacher instead; it's a far better investment. (And you can always just set your tone knob to 1 anyway )

jim
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:05 PM

I recently got an Ibanez Ak85 and LOVE it. I had some struggles getting used to it at first because it is just so different from the solid bodies that I play regularly. But now that I've spent some time with her, she's a keeper! For that price range it can't be beat.

For a little more I think that the Epiphone hollow bodies are nice - the Joe Pass models that I played were very good.

Got more cash to spend? The Hofners are exceptional as are the new reissue D'Angelico New Yorkers. I've played both and they are fabulous. My dream jazz box has to be the Gibson L5 though. Ridiculously expensive but so gorgeous.........
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:09 PM

I have an Ibanez RG1077XL. It is a rock guitar, but I can play Jazz with it better than with any Gibson I know of. It all depends on what works best for you and what you are comfortable with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 PM

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

well, Jim has a point of course, you should learn to play jazz before getting a jazz guitar! Lol. But really, I was just looking for a guitar to get the jazz kind of sound, not necessarily the actual playing skills that jazz guitarists have. I mean, being like George Benson, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, or Stanley Jordan is just like trying to be like Steve Vai. It's like a specialty area, and I must say, I bet some of the best jazz guitarists are just as fast as (and better sounding than) Vai himself. They're all absolute masters of their instrument, and it takes a lot of chops to play real jazz. Try playing some old Django Reinhardt...even the more basic ones are freaking hard. If you ever get ahold of his song called, "Paris Blues" (a universal jazz song for many instruments), you would be absolutely amazed at how well he handles his electric guitar, and we're talking one the size of an acoustic and a half with only three fingers. That guys was great. But like I said before, I'm just looking for the overall sound I can get from a jazz box. So the AK85 is a nice guitar, huh? Because I was looking for an old school-looking archtop like it, and it looks as though it may be a good candidate. Either than or I'd like to check out one of the Gretsch Electromatics because those are all old school jazz guitars. all very helpful stuff.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

speaking of George Benson and John Scofield, how are their signature models, anyone try them? I'd sure like to check both of them out.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:13 PM

Ibanez John Scofield model, RULES!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 08:42 PM

I have the Pat Metheny PM120 which plays and sounds like a dream. I also played the George Benson model a lot, but found it a bit too robust for my taste.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
and we're talking one the size of an acoustic and a half with only three fingers.
Two and 1/3...

The Artcores are fairly impressive for the money, I must say.

Gretsches are fantastic, but I'm not too impressed with the modern Gibsons. They cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for the quality you get, compared to what you could have built for the same money. Try www.victorbaker.com or www.laguitarfactory.com (soon to be www.lehtelaguitarcraft.com) for phenomenal custom guitars in the range of most of Gibson's entry solid wood archtops. Oh! The Epi Elitist Broadway is worth a look, too!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:20 AM

I've been drooling over the Gibson Johnny A. signature model since i saw him playing at a show earlier this year. The only thing stopping me from buying one of these beauties is about $3500. If you haven't heard him, you're missing some great music.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 12:03 PM

[quote="ScreamJem7"]I've been drooling over the Gibson Johnny A. signature model since i saw him playing at a show earlier this year. The only thing stopping me from buying one of these beauties is about $3500. If you haven't heard him, you're missing some great music.

I'll second this on both the guitar and Johnny A.'s music. Incredible stuff.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , electric guitar , george benson , john scofield , pat metheny , stanley jordan , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode