JB-Jazz in a RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

JB-Jazz in a RG

Hi all

Wondering if any of you replaced your pickups with duncans, specifically the JB-Jazz. Picked up the RG 655 Prestige, really like how it plays, a super nice guitar IMO... but... not wild about the Dimarzios. Don't get me wrong, they are a good quality pickup, but I'm used to the JB-Jazz sound. The Dimarzios are just WAY too hot and boarderline fizzy for what I'm looking for. Lowered them about as far as I can, I'm just not digging them. My other guitars have duncans, but they are alder, not sure how they will sound in this basswood RG... anyone out there make the swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Re: JB-Jazz in a RG

Hi Milli :-)
I have a SH-2N Jazz in the neck position of my trusty old RG570. Paired with a TZ in the bridge and an Area 67 in the middle, this is now my favorite pickup combination...its killer!
The Jazz has a nice rich smooth tone and doesnt get too muffled. Sounds great for fast legato passages.
I cant comment on the exact pickup you mentioned or even in the bridge position but Ive been pleasantly surprised with this pickup so far. So I would give it a shot and see what happens.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks a lot, I appreciate the positive feedback... Yeah, my other guitars have a jazz in the neck and a duncan jb at the bridge, so I think I will go ahead and make the switch....now, to figure out what to do with that center pickup LOL
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM

I put the JB/Jazz combo in my RGA121 and it really brought it to life. I know that's quite different from the RG655 though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, cool thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Dimarzios are a lot more *popular* in Ibanez guitars than Duncans, whereas you tend to see Duncans more often in Jacksons. But, I don't know if that's because Dimarzios are better in basswood, or if it's just because Ibanez endorsers tend to overlap pretty heavily with Dimarzio endorsers.

It's definitely worth a shot - barring that, a Dimarzio AT1 might be a good bridge pickup for you to check out, with maybe a PAF Pro in the neck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Dimarzios are a lot more *popular* in Ibanez guitars than Duncans, whereas you tend to see Duncans more often in Jacksons. But, I don't know if that's because Dimarzios are better in basswood, or if it's just because Ibanez endorsers tend to overlap pretty heavily with Dimarzio endorsers.

It's definitely worth a shot - barring that, a Dimarzio AT1 might be a good bridge pickup for you to check out, with maybe a PAF Pro in the neck.

Yeah, I didn't want to say it (being new here and all) but my other guitars are jacksons and charvel, all have duncans. I probably just got used to the sound. Will look into that AT1 though, thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milli vanilli View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to say it (being new here and all) but my other guitars are jacksons and charvel, all have duncans. I probably just got used to the sound. Will look into that AT1 though, thanks!
As I recall, Timmons was using a vintage JB at the time he signed with Dimarzio, so it's probably reminiscent - at the very least, the Wolfetone seven string JB rewind where Wolfe was trying to cut the output back down to a vintage-spec JB reminded me a LOT of an AT1, which for me is a good thing. The AT1 has a very thick, vocal midrange, and a smooth high end with a lot of harmonic overtones. The bass isn't particularly powerful or punchy, so for fast technical rhythm playing it's probably not the way to go, but it's a KILLER bridge pickup for soloing.

Tags
duncan , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode