JBM100 (Jake Bowen) - I'm confused about the locking tuners... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

JBM100 (Jake Bowen) - I'm confused about the locking tuners...

So, I love the Jake Bowen model (and will buy one if they ever release a 7-str version), but there's 1 feature that has me totally perplexed:

The locking tuners.

I just don't understand the benefit of having these with a locking nut. Jake has said in the Ibanez video that the locking is "because Periphery uses a lot of alternate tunings" yadda yadda.

BUT, even if Jake WAS down-tuning on-the-fly, it would throw the trem angle out of whack, so that argument doesn't hold up.

And really, at this point in Jakes career, I highly doubt he's having to do any on-the-fly tuning changes himself. I'm sure he has dozens of guitars on tour that are already setup accordingly, and his tech just swaps them as needed.

Thoughts?

Last edited by webmaestro; 11-06-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Re: JBM100 (Jake Bowen) - I'm confused about the locking tuners...

Really the only advantage to locking tuners on edge would be the speed at which you can change a string.

Though if you decided to block the bridge from going down you could unlock the nut and still have fairly good tuning stability. But I'd bet not the purpose intended for Jake.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Yeah it is odd that he chose locking tuners over and above the locking nut which takes the place of locking tuners in general terms...I mean once the nut is locked tightly even if you play with the tuners, those strings ain't gonna feel it...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think Jake uses a tremel-no and the tuners are just for ease of string changes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Locking tuners are great for floating bridges. Makes life so much easier. My Carvin has em and my string changes go so much more smoothly.

Tags
jake bowen , jbm100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode