JCRG21B any info???? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Smile JCRG21B any info????

Hello all! This is my first post on this awesome site, loads of info here!!! Im a recent Ibanez convert, having owned a Jackson, BC Rich and ESP (all now sold!!) I saw the light and bought a J Custom from Rockers in Denmark St, London. This guitar is incredible and plays beautifully!

Here is a link to pictures of a 21B on Rich's site:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/rg21b.jpg

I will post some pics of mine as soon as i work out how!!!

I am trying to find out as much as i can about this guitar, so anyone who knows anything, I would love to hear from You!!
So far I have found out:

Rockers sourced it from a buying trip to Japan (they also brought back a UV777GR 7string in great condition, and a JEM prototype owned by Vai!!)
I think it was made in 1991
Maple and Bubinga thru-neck (5 piece)
Ebony fretboard
DiMarzio PAF pickups & Roland GK
Lo-Pro Edge trem
Cosmo White hardware

Quite unusual features on this J Custom are the midi conectivity: has the GK pickup, output, patch change buttons, midi/mix/guitar switch, synth volume knob. Also it has a grille between the p/ups cut out of the top (don't know what wood this cap is) so you can see the thru-neck from the front, and gives a slight acoustic chamber.

I would really like to know how many were made and confirmation of when and where!!! I can only find info on the JCRG21A, which is similar (same 12th fret inlay, and MIDI) but it is coloured (black) with a quilt top, and with less midi controls. Also it doesnt seem to have body binding like the 21B. I assume mine is the later model (or maybe they made both types at the same time).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, and anyone else on Jemsite got one???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Pics of my actual JCRG21B

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

A couple more pics of my J Custom.

This is a link to the JCRG21A:

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...001/index.html

And the JCS21:

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_j...001/index.html

All 3 guitars share the same inlay and 21 in the name, so i assume they were made together, or at a similar time. Anyone got any of these??
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM

Re: JCRG21B any info????

Congratulations! I've always been looking for one of those. Specially the black one but yours seems mighty fine as well. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 AM

the only info that is have, is that it's absolutely beautiful!

Congratz! that's a really nice score mate!

now go and clean that fretboard
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:32 AM

Got mine not too long ago, thanks to this site: https://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51791 - it's the one Rich had before I picked it up.

It's a very "special" guitar indeed. I think the RG-21A and B were made for NAMM 2001 (I was kinda hoping mine would be the only 21B in Europe.. damn), with allegedly the B being a bit more rare. Don't think anyone really knows the actual production numbers.

Yours looks somewhat played and the strings look heavy too. I think Rich mentioned they were something like .12s originally? Understandable for a hollowed jazz box type guitar, but strange considering the razor thin Wizard neck
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Got mine not too long ago

Esmo,
cheers for the link to the pics of ur 21b, very nice!!

Ive got 10's on mine at the mo, so not too heavy!! Yes mine has a couple of scratches ( im never that bothered by this as i like guitars to be played and not just looked at, after all they are tools, although some are beautiful tools!! ), but the photos make it look worse than it really does, bad camera, bad lighting, and it had been through several days of jamming with my drummer b4 the photos were taken!!

I already have a 1970's Les Paul which i fitted a GK-3 MIDI pickup to, and use a Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth. This is why i had to by this ibanez, it just seemed made for me! I was looking for an Ibanez, and found this one midi enabled!!

You've probably found out by now, but just in case: the switch is for selecting guitar out/midi guitar mix out/midi out. And the knob near the switch is for midi velocity (volume).

Have you tried yours with a synth yet??? Its good fun! Ive been using a guitar synth for a couple of years now, so if u need any advice, i'll see if i can help. Its still a very underground world shunned by most!!!!

Interesting to hear Rich said they shipped with 12's, this must be due to the fact that you get a better midi response with heavier strings, but ive had no massive problems with 10's on either of my midi guitars, and i play much more without midi anyway, so i would not want to go that far to make it better at the expence of playabillity.

Sorry ur not the only owner in europe anymore!!
Ship em all this way!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 17

ah you bought it from rockers lol, when i first went there i wanted to try a JEM .......they wouldnt let me .......maybe cos i'm 15....., anyway wicked guitar i think i saw it 5 days ago when i went there , oh and that steve vai owned ibanez is weird :S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Indeed, I didn't mean that it looked played in a bad way at all. Although a bit of an annoying feature on the 21B seems to be that at least I scratch and wear the finish on the body below the pickups quite easily (since I rest my ring/pinky fingers on the body when picking, and the finish wears really easily). Not a huge deal, but it's a bit of a bummer to scratch such a nice instrument. Mind if I ask how much you paid for yours? I've seen prices all over the place for this particular model.

Yeah, I did figure out that switch - but still (like I mentioned in the other thread), it does affect the output of the magnetic pickups a bit. Which really only adds to the tonal versatility, so I'm fine with it I still haven't tried the guitar synth thing, but will eventually. Looking for a cheap GI-20 at the moment.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

esmo,
i know, ive found the top is not 2wearing, but there u go! i know what u mean, these guitars should look as perfect as they play!

i paid £1400 for this one, they origionally had it up 4 £1700, but they had problems selling it til i walked in! seems lts a bit of an odd-ball and as a pro price instrument there weren't that many people interested. id seen it in rockers 4a couple of months, but it took me a while 2make up my mind between this and the new UV777 universe.

i think i made the right choice!!

how much was rich charging 4 yours?

Last edited by Lizod; 11-19-2006 at 07:44 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Here is a link to a video of this guitar in action with my progressive rock band Isurus:

http://www.youtube.com/isurusband#p/a/u/0/lyFtKQQPY6k

Tags
dimarzio paf , ebony fretboard , edge trem , fret inlay , les paul , magnetic pickups , pro edge , pro edge trem , steve vai , thin wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode