JEM Hunt - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

JEM Hunt

Guys, I am TOTALLY TORN... Finally I am planning to take the plunge and get a JEM... and now I'm debating on getting one or another Prestige model. Here's the lowdown....

I was planning to get the Jem7DBK and I could "manage" it in my budget.. the white one is a bit too pricey for me now.. and I prefer the look of the black "finish." Anyways, I am working with a store in the Northeast and while they inquire about the availability of the JEM7DBK and pricing for me.. they have a few RG3120 prestiges that are CLEAN and "used." The guy bought some (several I'm told) and brought them all back 1 or 2 days later. Anyways, I'm torn because the 3120's are CHEAP and supposedly a KICK ASS guitar (both looks, sound, and playability).. and the JEM is well.... about $400 MORE (new also) and well.. it's a JEM! =) (Prices estimated: JEM7DBK about $1200, Prestige 3120 $700)

Argh!!! I've heard great reviews on BOTH guitars. Although I originally started this "JEM hunt" to get a JEM... and now I'm wondering if the 3120 wouldn't be a better guitar. I'm into instrumental guitar stuff (Vai, Satch, Malmsteen) so a versatile sound would be nice. I already have a Jackson and a BC Rich so I really don't NEED another guitar... but you know.. I have GAS =)

Any comments, suggestions, anecdotes about similar "battles" would be most appreciated.

THanks

Pete

PS: This is my first ever post on JEMSITE. I'm new.. and HOPEFULLY will have an IBANEZ very soon. Meanwhile.. SHRED ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:41 PM

they're probably equally as good in terms of build quality. So I suggest that you play them and find out which one feels and sounds better. my personaly preference is the 3120.

EDIT: of course you NEED another guitar, everyone needs another guitar. To suggest otherwise is asinine
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:37 PM

Welcome to the forum...

Those are two pretty different guitars. Basswood with breed pickups vs. maple capped mahogany with tone zone and a paf pro. I have played both A/B'ing them to make my own judgement and I liked the 3120 better, hands down. It felt much better and sounded much smoother overall to my ears, plus I like the flame maple much better than the bubbly asphault type appearance of the DBK.

Even if they were evenly priced, I would lean towards the 3120, but at the price difference you're talking about, it's a no brainer for me.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Banned

yep yep! i would say either save more for a vwh or get the 3120
the 3120 truly rocks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys... after much thinking I think I might go with the Prestige 3120 instead of the 7DBK=( Sorry. The 7DBK was an easy way into Jem-dom but my favorite JEM's are really the BSB and the older DY and Floral's Maybe I'll find those online somewhere. =) Meanwhile, the deal I'm being offered for the 3120 is too hard to pass up for such a nice playing axe.

Thanks for all the input.

Pete
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 04:38 PM

One of the reasons why I would go for the RG3120 is the following:
On every signature guitar you pay a bit because of the artists infliction, so if you have a signature guitar and another guitar who are the same price, the non-sig is probably the better guitar. That doesn't mean signature guitars can't be great axes, but you'll allways pay a bit because of the name on the headstock

You won't go really wrong with either guitar, but I am leaning much more towards mahogany guitars than basswood ones, mahogany gives a tone with much more uhhhhh tone It's hard to put into words, but I like the warm full tone of mahogany better than the tight but thinner basswood tone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM

I recommend deciding what you want and buying that one. Play both if at all possible, and decide. If you decide you want the RG. Great. But if you really want to get into the Jem-line, I wouldn't suggest buying an RG.

Tags
flame maple , mahogany guitars , paf pro , signature guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode