A Jem kit for the DIY folks! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
A Jem kit for the DIY folks!

I wasn't quite sure which area to post this in, so here it is. You know I'm all about some good DIY projects, whether it's painting, customizing, building, etc. One of the sites I visit frequently is byoguitar.com
They've got some decent parts and cool DIY guitar kits. Well, I just stopped by today, and there it was--a brand new kit added to their inventory--a Jem kit complete with monkey grip, lion's claw, and vine inlay. I'm sure the trem is crap, but the rest doesn't look too bad. For the DIY folks that are building their contest-losing Jems, this might be your starting point.
Here's the link to the kit:
http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Ele...__BYO-JEM.aspx

A pic of the kit:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: A Jem kit for the DIY folks!

Unless this is an officially licensed product as Fender does for Warmoth, surely that's a trademark violation or something?!?!?
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Unless this is an officially licensed product as Fender does for Warmoth, surely that's a trademark violation or something?!?!?
Rich once told me that it's infringement if it has the vine inlays AND an Ibanez logo--that's how those Galveston knock-offs don't get removed from eBay, as they have the monkey grip, lion's claw, vine inlays, but no Ibanez logo like the Chibanez junk. Still, I'm curious about the quality. Body is basswood and looks about right--the jack location can always be doweled and moved to the correct spot. Pickguard seems to line up about right. Pickups and hardware can always be swapped. But i just wonder about that neck...

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 AM

Hopefully the trem cavity would accept an Edge.

If it only accepts Floyds, then there you go, no copyrights...

Wonder who built the bodies.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 AM

I would have to agree with AlaskaBat on this one. If the neck is crap, then none of it is worth the second hand scrap wood it's made of. From the looks of it the neck appears to be a softer wood.....jesus, what is that, pine, lol!?!
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

For $200.00, it's almost tempting to get one just to find out if it's playable and able to accept proper trem replacement.

post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Reviews: 39

We sold BYO strat kits (the $99 ones before they got upgrades) at my store and I wanted to buy one to do a field test but we kept selling them too fast and couldn't stock anymore. The neck radius and fretwork definitely felt like a $99 guitar. I would be very willing to say this is no different. A $50 3 piece neck, $50 tremolo, $50 sounding electronics and some basswood. Think an Gio with Floyd and vines and Squier bullet fretwork.
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
We sold BYO strat kits (the $99 ones before they got upgrades) at my store and I wanted to buy one to do a field test but we kept selling them too fast and couldn't stock anymore. The neck radius and fretwork definitely felt like a $99 guitar. I would be very willing to say this is no different. A $50 3 piece neck, $50 tremolo, $50 sounding electronics and some basswood. Think an Gio with Floyd and vines and Squier bullet fretwork.
That's pretty much what i was thinking, too! It would cost pretty much to get that thing to a decent level. It would be better to buy an old 550 or 570 and cut your own grip and claw. It doesn't cost much to get a cnc vine or pyramid routed fretboard and inlay kit either--plus that's an easy job.

post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 4

Hahaha, it's sold out!
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM

i know that one i am presently moding/hot roding this kit.mine came prepainted white.my kit has a bit of a neck dif.maple with spanish scarf joint (a la 87-90's)its also flat for neck shape.frettting looks promissing.def lots of tweaking though.
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM

im new here if i can figure out how to post picks i will... kit 1-jem 7v ish...lol! kit-2 jem 777 ish they actually look pretty good and not much investment.i actually own a small collection of old rg's 570,550 neon purple and such but this is for fun...
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM

BYOGuitar here

Hi Everyone, I own BYOGuitar.com and would be happy to answer any questions people have about our kits.

Last edited by BYOGuitar; 01-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: BYOGuitar here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYOGuitar View Post
Hi Everyone, I own BYOGuitar.com and would be happy to answer any qeustions people have about our kits.
Would you be up for sending me a kit to review? I am a senior reviewer here, and I've got my own blog too. I'd be up for giving this an unbiased review for everyone here.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Vendor

These look like unfinished Chinese parts to me......

You realize you are now advertising for the same companies that slap the Ibanez logo on the painted headstock?
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Reviews: 25

No logo doesn't mean its not infringing. I'm pretty sure the headstock shape is also a no no to copy... So explain that ....

Tags
diy guitar , guitar kit , jem , kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode