Jem Prestige - Real or Fake? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Is this a real Prestige Jem? I’m thinking of purchasing it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGbH37bBAPrD22vRA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uVGhHyLCrBthmAyC6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3MJFeyhU693bYDSJA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SfJz3vxqQFvA27H69

Last edited by StratlockHolmes; 08-23-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Vendor

Re: Jem Prestige - Real or Fake?

Usually you'd need more than one shot but it's fake.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Usually you'd need more than one shot but it's fake.
Thanks for the quick reply. I added three more pic links - I’m new to the forum so glad to see my links work. A pawn shop is marketing this guitar for sale - asking $750 but down to $600 but action is like a violin. Missing locking tuner but at headstock and backplate. I took photo of serial number that they didn’t have listed on listing
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Vendor

All I needed was the first.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logo’d as a option? I’d like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-24-2019, 12:08 AM
Vendor

The simple answer is everything. Go on reverb and look at real guitars and pay attention to details, all the details. These were made with 3 different trems, and over the years slight details have changed like what is printed on a tuner. But fakes are ridiculously bad, if you can't spot that you shouldn't be shopping. But then, we're always here.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratlockHolmes View Post
Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logod as a option? Id like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.
Headstock shape is wrong and the way the wood is glued on the neck is wrong, J-craft logo is terrible. Tuners are fake/wrong (go check out Gotoh sealed tuners and compare), yes they can have an Ibanez logo on some older models but they are still the same Gotoh tuners and these are obviously fake. Bridge is wrong (compare to an Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge-Pro via google), golden volume/tone knobs are wrong (7V has white top plastic knobs), scratchplate is the wrong shape, the handle in the body is the wrong shape/size. The pickups are also wrong, go compare them closely to some Dimarzio Evolutions.

It's one of the obvious chinese fakes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-25-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratlockHolmes View Post
Tale tele signs to look for? As for a Jem are tuners always the Gotoh tuners or can they be Ibanez logod as a option? Id like to try to find one similar to this apparent fake but need to know what red flags there are on this model style.
You've got the resident expert telling you that it is illegitimate, I would heed his advice. Also, if it helps, I've got more Jems and Umiverses than I do fingers and toes, and your example is 100% counterfeit.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-25-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I informed the pawn shop thats selling this one on offerup app in Vancouver Wa that its a guaranteed fake and someone will be really upset if they purchase with it being sold as a genuine Ibanez prestige jem.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM

Among so many commented items, I add that the original pickguard has 10 screws, the FAKE has 9 screws. Best regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in