jem VS j custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

jem VS j custom

would u rather have a j custom or a 7VWh? explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 PM

Depends on the J-custom...

I have a VWH and an JCRG-Art, I love them both. The Art has a tone that is more what I'm after than the VWH, but they "feel" different. The Jem has those inbetween tones that I can't get with the Art, but the Art also gets this killer bluesy tone that I can't get with any other guitar I own...something about the Tonezone and air norton in combination is just smoking. Tonally, I'm more drawn to basswood guitars than any other tonewood, the alder of the jem may just be a tad bright in some cases. You'd think the thick maple on the Art and the maple fretboard would make it too bright, but you'd be totally wrong...at least with respect to mine...it sound fantastic, extremely even and balanced.

My Jem is in pretty much player condition, it's a '95 and has been around a few blocks and has been my main guitar. The Art I bought because I think they are incredible looking and really hard to come by, so I jumped when I had the chance....not knowing that it would be at the top of my best sounding guitars list. It's a tight race between the Art and the JPM P4 as my best 6 strings. Smoother pickups in the Jem would pull it into the fight tonewise. Playability is just about equal across the board even though all three have pretty different neck profiles.

If I didn't have a Jem or a J-Custom...I'd probably say jump on the J-Custom. VWH's will always be in great supply, finding one is not hard at all. The good JCs are uncommon and difficult to obtain, if you find a good one...don't blink or it'll be in someone else's hands. They are for the most part great guitars.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 AM

I've had (6) J-Customs (5 different models) and a couple of dozen JEMS. The only thing that really seemed comparable at all is the build quality. They're really VERY different guitars and comparing them in a "this vs. that" thread is ridiculous (and a waste of time).

The earlier, more unique J-Customs such as the ART, GEAR, METAL, etc. were designed to all be very different. Different combonations of woods and electronics than ANY JEM has ever been available with. The result has been, naturally, guitars that sounded very different from any stock JEM.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Well surely they are comparable since the are both made of wood, metal and plastic, have strings and a whammy-in fact they're both guitars!

People often make comparisons between different cars, pizza topping or whatever. So surely J-Custom and a Jem aren't so far removed that comparison is impossible and unenlightening?

I'd agree if you said that it is impossible to say which is the best, but comparison is a valid thing to do!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

if it was to compare a jem to a les paul, it is pointless
but... i've always think that jem, pgm, j-customs... etc are in the same group. they are Ibanez, RG-style, DiMarzio pickups.... etc.
no offence to anyone, it's just my thoughts
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 12:53 PM

It doesn't matter if they're the same body style. Comparing a JEM7VWH to an RG-GEAR is like comparing a regular Les Paul Standard to a Custom Shop one-off. They're different, period. They're all good guitars, but there's a LOT more work that goes into making the original J-Customs "special." I'm not talking about the current lame group of J-Customs, which are little more than the Prestige models we see in the US, but with different finishes and pickup combos.

Threads like this are pointless. There is nothing to be gained from attempting such a "comparison."

It reminds me of a quote: "Talking about music is like dancing about art". I think the same holds true when trying to put different types of guitars in a "vs." type of situation. Unless you have both in your hands, you'll never really know the difference. You can ask people all you want, but all that you'll get is their opinions. You won't actually gain anything from it. There are just some things that can't adequately be explained in words.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Vendor

But he didn't ask to compare a Jem to an Art, he asked if you'd rather have a Jem or a JC [non-descript]
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
...You can ask people all you want, but all that you'll get is their opinions. You won't actually gain anything from it...
While I agree that every guitar is different, I think you actually gain a lot from other people's opinions, specially considering that most of these guitars are bought without trying them first. Evidently, something like 'the Jem is better' is useless, but a more detailed opinion like 'I prefer the wider neck on this one, and the tone is a little bassier because of X body wood' would be very helpful.

Of course, that's just MY opinion
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
But he didn't ask to compare a Jem to an Art, he asked if you'd rather have a Jem or a JC [non-descript]
Once again, the voice of reason.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 04:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The problem w/ saying "J-Custom" is there are many dozens of models, even though they're a pretty limited variety (s body or RG body essentially). So to compare to a specific JEM7VWH to "J-Custom" is pretty vague, but not pointless IMHO.

Styling issues aside, the nuts/bolts of the J-Customs are VERY similar to the JEM series. To believe otherwise is just being pretty silly ...glen

ps - generally speaking i'd take the VWH more often than not... better availability & pricing (new and used), better warranty (for USA shoppers), better & faster resale-lability, less fear of tweaking it, etc.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

im glad you guys are telling "the moderators" what i really mean and explaining it in "easier" more understandable terms for incompetent people.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitario
im glad you guys are telling "the moderators" what i really mean and explaining it in "easier" more understandable terms for incompetent people.
Here's a novel idea...why don't YOU explain what you "really" mean?

If you clarify your questions and avoid being so vague, you might actually get some useful information.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
A thread attempting to compare a JEM to a J-Custom is almost as utterly stupid as the countless threads comparing a JEM to a JS, a JS to a JPM, a PRS to a Les Paul, a Strat to a JEM, etc.

It's pointless. They're different- that's all that needs to be said.
Have to say Chris, that as this is a forum where folks (used to?) come to discuss guitars, I think that's entirely the point of the whole message board !!!

Having said that, and getting back to the initial question, which would I rather have. The answer for me is a JEM, I like a thicker neck these days, and I also like a scratchplate, whether or not the pickups are actually attached to it. I've not seen a J-Custom with both of those features yet.

I'll also say that I'm not really into fancy wood tops all that much so the current "production" J-customs don't really have anything for me aesthetically.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:48 PM

Discussing guitars is great, but asking such vague questions is useless. If you want to actually LEARN something, you need to be more specific.

Somebody doesn't seem to understand that there are dozens of models of J-Customs. I guess the fact that he refers to himself as "incompetent" lets him off the hook.

Of course, the question is still ridiculously vague: "a j custom or a 7VWH?"

WHICH J-custom? They're not all the same, whereas there is only one set of specs for a JEM7VWH. Saying that all J-Customs are alike is like saying that a JEM is just another RG. They may share a body style, but there is a lot more to a guitar than just the shape.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Vendor

He wasn't refferringto himself
Closed Thread

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , custom shop , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , les paul , les paul standard , maple fret , maple fretboard , pickup combo , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode