Jem7VWH vs J Custom 8570NT - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Jem7VWH vs J Custom 8570NT

I have the option of trading my Jem7VWH for a J Custom 8570NT. Now, I've wanted a J Custom for some time and though the 8570 doesnt have a vine inlay, the natural finish appeals to me, as does the fact it has a Wizard neck which is also suits me better than the Jems profile. My Jem is in slightly better condition.

What also appeals is the idea of having it stained a special colour by a luthier at some point. Although I might just leave it as is.

Anyway, I have never played a J custom before but I've done my research and I think this guitar is for me. I also like the fact its not a signature guitar.

But do you guys think this a good trade? And does anybody have any experience with this particular model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 AM

Re: Jem7VWH vs J Custom 8570NT

if it was me, i'd go for it, although i would spend hours making sure the j custom is in full functioning order etc.

i don't ever plan on owning a jem. i'm with you on the whole "signature guitar" issue. might sound pig headed or egotistical, but i don't want to play steve vai's guitar. and i think the j custom looks nicer anyway.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Well, its hard to fault the Jem 7VWH. It really is a superb instrument. It stands comfortably alongside my Jackson USA's and ESP's and so on. But I can shred a whole lot easier on the RG's I have. The Jem necks are designed for Vai's hands and he has hands like a facehugger from Alien. I have big hands but they're more like Juggernauts from X Men. I find the Wizard profile better.

I mean, 10 minutes on the Jem is no problem. But 20 minutes is. By comparison, I can play my other guitars all day long. I've never liked the stupid grip either but its just part of a Jem. You have to accept it.

What you said isnt egotistical either. I understand why people would want a replica of Vai's guitar (even though it isnt, really) but as a musician you want your own identity.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 AM

well yeah, quality wise, they're almost identical, except the j custom will have the rolled fretboard ends and nicely done up fret ends. interesting what you said about being able to play on a jem neck.

so, i think it basically comes down to a matter of personal preference...or something. i'm sure you can figure out which you want.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm hoping the fact that J Customs are assembled by Samurai masters means they'll be a notch above Jem's in build quality although I'm not even sure how that is possible.

The other issue is variation. I dont have a Mahogany guitar at the moment but several Basswood, Alder and Poplar...etc.
I love the dynamics Mahogany and Maple give you.

I'm having a custom guitar built with Korina and Spalted maple in the summer so the J Custom will have to do until then.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Are you sure the RG8570 has a Wizard neck? According to http://jcustom.web.fc2.com/rg8570.htm, it's got a J-Custom neck, ie. 19.5mm at the first and 21.5mm at the 12th fret.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

The description I saw said Super Wizard (whatever that is). I suppose its not a Wizard as such but much closer to a Wizard than a Jem.

Admittedly, I'm not all that clued up on J Customs. It does say Wizard neck type in the link you posted though.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Oh, indeed it does. As far as I know, the Super Wizard is a neck built to the original Wizard's dimensions, but with modern construction to prevent neck warpages that some of the original Wizards experienced.

Anyway, now I'm confused. Most places seem to describe the original Wizard as 17mm first fret and 19-20mm at the 12th. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

If all goes well, I'll be getting an RG8570 myself!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Cool and the gang. I'll post pics if/when I get mine.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Yeah the 8570 neck is actually .5 thicker than the Jem on all frets,sorry not a super wizard.
However a higher quality instrument over all and much more desirable,collectable and better looking.GRAB IT!!

J custom are the best of Ibanez period.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM

The original wizard is the same as a super wizard, 17mm @ 1st 19mm @ 12th fret.
That was my major concern when I was shopping for my jc. I ended up getting an 8470Z.
I've had it for almost 2 months now, I just cant let go. For me it is the best guitar i've touched by far. But I think that the 8570 is not a super wizard... But non the less these guitars definitely stand up to their reputation, they are the pride of Ibanez. Too bad they are so hard to come across, for people to be able to witness the greatness of these guitars first hand.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayle View Post
Oh, indeed it does. As far as I know, the Super Wizard is a neck built to the original Wizard's dimensions, but with modern construction to prevent neck warpages that some of the original Wizards experienced.

Anyway, now I'm confused. Most places seem to describe the original Wizard as 17mm first fret and 19-20mm at the 12th. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

If all goes well, I'll be getting an RG8570 myself!

You are correct, Original wizard 17mm/20mm
Super wizard 17mm/19mm (3 or 5 piece construction).

Best necks ever!! IMHO! I love them.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Apparently, "the Super Wizard is an exact reproduction of the original RG550 Wizard neck from 1987 (17mm/19mm at 1st/12th fret). The strength and stability of this legendary neck has been improved due to the new 5-ply construction". I copied that from the Jap site.

So there you go. You're quite correct.
Its exactly what I want anyway.
Something the same size and shape as the already near perfect RG550 but with better materials and electronics.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Then again, I have a chance at trading for a really nice early UCEW.

I'm torn.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM

How about between an RG20071 HBK and a J-custom Rg-Paint4..? Is it a good idea to sell my limited edition prestige for an older J-Custom? I have a chance to buy 1 of those RG-Paint4īs, but to afford i have to get rid of my Prestige, wich is a really cool guitar. Do you think, is the RG-Paint4 better instrument? Please write some wise things in few words!

Regards!

Tags
8570nt , j custom , jem , trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode