Jet King - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Jet King

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2538071809

I just won this on Ebay and am actually REALLY jazzed about getting it for a good hard tail for alternate tunings, I'll post my review as soon as it arrives and I have some quality time with it.

These guitars seem to be either loved or hated as far as the appearence goes, but I LOVE it ! It has that early 70's oddball noname vibe to it.

price-wise, noone around here will go lower than $300.00 and then there is the 7.75% sales tax on top. Sometimes you DO find deals online...

Bamm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:26 PM

Congrats

I've never seen any of those before. Kinda odd, but quite good looking.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 05:35 PM

I've played some several times at a local store. It's a surprisingly fun guitar to play .. and even shred on. Pretty decent quality and playability wise - definitely not a guitar you're going to regret getting.

~A
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 07:55 PM

awesome man, looks rad! ive played one exactly like that, really fun cool guitar. lucky!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Got her today, brand new in all the original packing un touched, un opened by anyone since the factory.
The humidity here wreaks havoc on wood tho, much back bow when I tested her out. A small adjustment to release some tension and off we go.
I have only played her through my Korg Pandora and some headphones as the wife and boy were sleeping, but I like what I hear !
The coil taps are the 2 black rocker switches near the lower horn and the pickup config is controlled by the 3-way toggle near the volume and tone knobs. It has a decent output from the stock pups in full on hum mode and obviously twangier in single mode, noisy also, but I also know that some was caused by some lighting fixtures nearby. at anyrate, basswood body, maple necka dn rosewood fretboard are the materials and her tone is solid in all the positions w and w/out coil tapping. you can get the scooped "quack" tone of a strat using the middle position and the taps or full on grind with the hums running normally. I was quickly able to dial in a nice "woman tone" as well as a decent tool-esque dissonance with some good distinction of notes.

The guitar is made in Indonesia and overall the quality is pretty good.
I found one dink from either something loose in the box or a careless worker that dinged her near the upper bout/ horn maybe 0.5mm across.
at any rate, the frets are fully dressed and the neck feels GREAT ! espcially with the satin finish provided (my fave)

Overall WELL WELL worth the $279.00 I paid shipped to my door, I think its probably one of the better deals I've ever found on a new piece of gear. I would recommend trying one out if you have a need for a hard tail 6 sting. mine is to be used for general duty as well as alternate tunings which I have been playing around in lately.

TRY IT... YOU'LL LIIIIKE IT !

top is the Ibanez JTK-1 in butterscotch, bottom is my '63 Gibson Melody Maker, retro and retro-trashy...me LIKES !

BAMM !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Welp, I didn't even remember mentioning the back bow in my previous post, but there it is. Anyway, the back bow got bad enough to where with the rod completely loosened it was still unplayable. I shipped her out last week for a warranty repair. I was told by the rep that they won't just swap necks, but I'll end up with a brand new guitar. I hope so, as I was hoping to use it in a project I started. I was told that I can expect anywhere from 10 days to a month for a replacement to show up.

I'll follow up once I get the full scoop on what Ibanez does.

Bamm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

*update*
I got a call back from the Ibanez authorized repair rep that my Ibanez was replaced with a brand new one, I pick it up today.
Hopefully I'll have something that can be adjusted and set up.

Took nearly 2 mos total, about 4 weeks JUST to get the freaking RMA # to ship it to Chesbro and another 3 to get the new one.
P.I.T.A. but it is done now.

More later,

Bamm
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Welp, got her...well.. IT back..
Whole different 'new' guitar.
Found a few flaws, but I guess for $279.00 I can't complain much.
The neck adjusts and it plays VERY nicely.
Although they said I'd get a new JTK-1 this one seems like a refurb. found some silly lil flaws but aain, I don't know what I shgould expect fo the $$, She's solid and plays NICELY.
I'll post a vid soon of her and I playing.
Anyway, I'm loaded and need to crash...

Bamm-a-lamm-a-ding-dong !

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , basswood body , coil tap , coil tapping , maple neck , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode