JPM Necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy JPM Necks

I've got a JPM P1 and a USRG10, both of which I love for different reasons, but the main question i can't get an answer to is.........

Every website i visit says the dimensions of the neck are identical to within 1mm, so why do they feel completely different in thickness when the palm of my hand is wrapped around them?! Am I not getting one dimension that shows how thick they are when you look at them in profile (when you've got it strapped round your neck and you look straight down) because you can see there's an obvious difference.

My other question is whether I could get a JPM neck to fit on my USRG10 without any problems, or is there an RG out there with neck that'll feel like the the JPM in the palm of my hand? (not too bothered with width, it's just it feels chunky like a les paul, ergo comfortable)

I just want THAT neck on my hardtail, H-H configured USRG and I don't know how to do it! (Don't even know what models have been made/are available with a hardtail, apart from the cheapy ones. Not even going there cos I have a definate preference to pickups being screwed INTO the body, not having rings around them; ugly and caused no end of problems on another guitar!)

Any help would be most appreciated as i'm tearing my hair out and have pretty much resolved myself to the fact it can't be done.

Cheers,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Re: JPM Necks

The JPM neck should fit your USRG10 body with no problem.

I think the JPM necks are based off of the Ultra necks. The back of the neck is more rounded than a Wizard or Wizard II. I guess if you want that neck profile on your USRG you could either get another JPM neck, or try and find an AANJ Ultra profile neck. On the home page, check out the necks on the Ibanez and other guitar info link. --Jason
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

What model guitars would I find an Ultra neck on??
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 PM

I have a JPM100-P1 (recently acquired) and I read somewhere that the neck profile is called the "viper" profile. Not sure what Ibanez makes these days that is similar to that, but I can tell you that my '04 Jem neck feels pretty damnn close to the JPM in terms of profile.

In fact, to my fingers/hands, the biggest difference I feel between them is the fretwire. The Jem with the 6105 fretwire and the JPM with a slightly wider, but not quite super jumbo fretwire.

BTW, I just had my JPM re-fretted by a master luthier here locally and it is simply awesome. He did such a fantastic job, and matched the original wire size with an impeccable fret end finish over the binding. The guitar itself is in such excellent condition for it's age and the tremolo has little to no bubbling or bumps... this thing is probably about as close to having a brand new one as is possible.

RR
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspaven
What model guitars would I find an Ultra neck on??
I know Ultra necks were used on USA Customs, but I'm not sure which other models had them. Maybe none. I'll do some looking and see if I can find any other 24 fret'ers. --Jason
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:01 PM

If you like chunky necks try the neck on some of the J-Customs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: JPM Necks

If possible i'd like to keep as close to the original look as possible, although i've always liked the Tree of Life inlay, just never been a huge JEM fan. (it's the monkey grip the lions claw behing the trem and the scalloped frets that put me off!)

My neck is a bit of an anomoly in that it's the standard offset markers like the JPM and other USRG's but it's got a bound edge and matching colour headstock, although the guy at PBC said they never made them. Only the translucent purple ones seem to have this cos it was normally restricted to the the USRG30, although it can't be one off of those cos it's got a bone/plastic nut, not a locking nut. The USRG10TP on www.ibanezregister.com is exactly the same.

If JEM neck would feel the same in the flat of my hand, that's a bit more than I knew before.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 PM

I didn't have any luck finding any other models that have 24 fret Ultra necks. The closest I found was the Viper profile 24 fret necks that were on the RT series. I'm pretty sure they used the old square neck bolt pattern instead of the AANJ though. If that's the case, they won't do you any good either. --Jason
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:26 PM

Based on the measurements found at http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

The 2002 RG760FM have the same dimensions as JPMs, have AANJ, and the offset dot inlays - also have binding. I own a trans gray 760FM and like it a lot. I have never played a JPM so I cant make a feel comparison.

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/prest...0fm/index.html for the neck dimensions and specs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

That's partly what's doing my head in cos the dimensions for a wizard II neck look almost identical, but there's a massive difference in feel. However, It doesn't say what the dimensions are for a PBC built USRG, and the tension free neck they built may be radically different to anything else in the ibanez range.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:52 AM

I think the USRG necks were susposed to based off the Wizard Profile. My USRG30 definitely has the feel of an original Wizard, and my USRG10 has a slightly thicker Wizard II feel. Neither of them has a rounded, Ultra feel though. I don't think a Wizard II, or Jem profile, neck is going to give you the chunky, rounded feel that you want. --Jason
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

So ultra is the way to go. If i can find one!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:13 PM

I have another suggestion. Why not email or call Bunker Guitars and see if they will make you a new neck? The way those tension free necks are designed, all they would have to do is make a new shell, and just insert your existing headstock/bar assembly. That way you'd have original looks, but with the profile you want. You could even opt for a different fingerboard material or inlay if you wanted a change. (I'd love to have a maple fingerboard with offset abalone dot position markers for my USRG10.) It probably wouldn't be any more expensive than finding an Ultra neck, and possibly cheaper. It would be worth looking into anyway. --Jason
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Possibly, i've already sent a few e-mails to them and heard bugger all back so far...

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , fret neck , fret necks , jem neck , jpm neck , les paul , locking nut , maple fingerboard , monkey grip , neck dimensions , offset dot inlays , scalloped frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode