just bought an EJ strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

just bought an EJ strat

Even tho Im not his biggest fan, I respect the mans opinion on guitars and gear in general to the highest degree. Im not a traditional strat player either in the sense that im a jazz player. but this guitar is SICK. comparing it to historic gibsons and custom shop strats, it was still the best sounding/playing/feeling guitar in the store (larry morgan's in dallas, tx). plus it was $1000 cheaper than most of the other custom shop strats and no string tree (thank god, for that and the tone on the bridge pup instead of middle).

This guitar is NUTS. if you havent played one yet, go try it out, you wont be disappointed.

Ill post pics later today.

oh yea, forgot the reason i posted this. i had a klein on order (great guitars but...). i called the guy every day from mid july to yesterday to see where my guitar was and he was unreachable by both phone and email. so i got salty and since the guitar was already 3 months late, REALLY wanted my axe. so yesterday, im THIS close to buying the EJ strat and i call again to see if maybe ill get thru, and I actually get him on the phone. i asked him when my guitar would be finished, he said another 3 months which would put him 6 months late and 18 months in total. considering i had $1500 already invested in the guitar and another $2400 due ($3900 total). and as a college student, that was too long to wait for something i cant play. so i got my refund and bought the strat. makes you think it was meant to be.

Last edited by spencer096; 10-26-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:54 PM

Re: just bought an EJ strat

Nice! Pics wanted of course. This EJ strat has been the first Fender I liked in a long time.

Could you elaborate why you don't like string trees?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

they dont let the string vibrate naturally. they alter the tone and mess with the tuning ease and stability. this is in my experience. then again fender made great guitars with string trees too, so i cant totally knock them. but i just prefer guitars without them.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Congrats man,
I've been waiting for mine since July.
I'm not happy about it, but I got a great deal and other guitars to keep me busy.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:03 PM

I've never seen the point in string trees and neither has EJ
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Congratz .

Regards

André

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:46 PM

cangratz, Pics!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Hey Spencer, Congrats man! I know from before that your not his biggest fan, but at least you respect his taste in guitars. I'd like to see pics too.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM

What color did you get.
I have a feeling almost everyone (myself included) will have to 2 tone sunburst.
I almost went with the red one, but the sunburst is so nice I couldn't.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM

The sunburst is the nicest finish IMO.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Yeah, Fender's 2TSB is one of my all time favorite finishes, especially on a strat
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer096
they dont let the string vibrate naturally. they alter the tone and mess with the tuning ease and stability. this is in my experience. then again fender made great guitars with string trees too, so i cant totally knock them. but i just prefer guitars without them.
Lets be honest too, everyone worth their salt would agree that Leo Fender used string trees to avoid the *expense* of angling the headstock properly.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

digi camera decided to be Hitler for the time being so pics will come prolly tomorrow.

its 2-tone sunburst btw with some subtle flame on the neck.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Lets be honest too, everyone worth their salt would agree that Leo Fender used string trees to avoid the *expense* of angling the headstock properly.
well.... I think the reason Leo went with the non-angle headstock was probably from observing that Gibsons break at the point between the headstock and the neck, and because they get dropped and take a blow on the headstock - next thing - two piece Gibbo. Fenders were pretty much designed as an indestructible, and easily repairable axe (Leo was, after all, an engineer), so make the neck as strong as possible, and as easy to repair/replace as possible - even Ibanez guitars with maple necks seem prone to this headstock breaking problem, although Maple generally breaks very cleanly, and is consequently much easier to repair well.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 PM

Wait for the nitro finish to yellow to add that vintage vibe!

Tags
bridge pup , custom shop , david mccarroll , graphite nut , ibanez guitars , input jacks , john mayer , leo fender , locking tuners , maple neck , maple necks , mexican strat , rosewood board , rosewood boards , srv strat , string tension , string tree , string trees , vintage style trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode