just bought an ibanez RG08 ltd - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

just bought an ibanez RG08 ltd

this one

Just a couple of questions to anyone who might know, i paid £300 for it, but it has v7 and v8 pick ups (usuauly on higher priced ibanez's) , and cool glittery paint, i was curious why its so cheap? most ibanez in that price range tend to not be so good, ie 2xx or 3xx series.

Also how limited is it? for £300 i cant imagine its very limited or they would have charged more for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Re: just bought an ibanez RG08 ltd

im useless with things like whats good wood etc on guitars or the diff between an edge 3 bridge or edge 2 (whats better?), so here are the specs if anyone can help

* Enchanting Sakura Blast styled RG with hard, cutting heavy rock and metal tones
* 3pc Wizard II Maple Neck
* Basswood body
* Rosewood Fingerboard With Dot Inlays
* Scale: 648mm/25.5 inch
* Width at Nut: 43mm
* 24 Jumbo frets
* Edge III Tremolo Bridge, stability and strength under the most demanding playing conditions
* Gold Hardware
* 'Cherry Blossom' carving pickguard design
* V7 (H) Neck Pickup
* V8 (H) Bridge Pickup
* 5-Way Pickup Switching
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 21

There's a general stigma against the RG350, which this guitar is designed after. The Edge3 is considered a sub-standard trem, but IMO this is somewhat of a bad rap. Set up correctly, the Edge 3 is a solid trem. The only questionable pars of this guitar IMO is the quality of the metal used. Typical troubles, from my experience, are from stripped screws as a result of the metal. These are simple to replace if they become a problem.
The guitar is cheaper because it's likely made in Indonesia, China, or Korea where labor is cheaper. Japanese RG's are more expensive and of better quality.
That said, I'd very much like to own that guitar myself. Nice score!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

its awesome, ive been playing it for hours now, and the store i bought only had one in stock and no other stores had it in my area, hmm, nothing against the 3xx series i just dont like shark tooth inlays lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:52 PM

If you're happy with it, that's great. Can you post more pics of the thing, showing binding, etc...?

Can you also make some recordings?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

im working in an hour, so tommorow i will post pics and a ill record a video and post it on youtube really sweet guitar thus far
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 AM

Classy looking axe my friend. Enjoy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 4

Very good looking!
Now, we all want photos!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm also considering getting one of these at the moment. It's either that or a preowned RGT42, but i'm not decided yet. Currently have an RG370, but the blades on the tremolo have worn down quite a lot and she no longer returns to pitch. Given the cost of a new Edge trem system, i figured i'd treat myself to a new Ibanez instead

Interested to hear your thoughts and see a few pics
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Reviews: 13

I have tested a couple of RG's 350 and 370, Korea/Indonesia made (we have tons of those here in Brazil, looks like every 16 yo boy has one). Welp, the quality depends of your luck; I've seen some great axes, that when set up properly, played very well, even reminding me some high level Prestiges; in the other hand, I've seen some ones that was nothing but a piece of crap, wood for fireplace, unplayable even after hours of careful setup. Incredibly, guitars from the same batch, close serial numbers!

My advice is test before you buy. Test not only one, test many, you are more likely to pick up a good one.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsquirrel View Post
I'm also considering getting one of these at the moment. It's either that or a preowned RGT42, but i'm not decided yet. Currently have an RG370, but the blades on the tremolo have worn down quite a lot and she no longer returns to pitch. Given the cost of a new Edge trem system, i figured i'd treat myself to a new Ibanez instead

Interested to hear your thoughts and see a few pics
Slap an OFR or Gotoh floyd in there and thats it... a new ibanez in that price range will come with a trem like the one you worn out in terms of quality, and for the the prices youre talking you can upgrade the trem and both pickups with solid stuff, and still have change for a couple six packs
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM

I'm probably going for the RGT42DX, as it's gonna be a generally better all round build quality. Unfortunately i'm on a rather tight budget (student) so can't afford much in the way of upgrades etc at the moment.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM

Reviews: 3

I just saw this one on the ibanez Taiwan site, looks special!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsquirrel View Post
I'm probably going for the RGT42DX, as it's gonna be a generally better all round build quality. Unfortunately i'm on a rather tight budget (student) so can't afford much in the way of upgrades etc at the moment.
You can buy a pack of replacement knife edges from Rich for not much. Or you can file the existing ones. Both are cheaper and better options than a new guitar, and both are explained in ibanezrules.com (Rich's site.)

Edit: Also, it would STILL be cheaper for you to just buy a new tremolo unit and replace it. You could liklely put in an oiginal Edge for the money we're talking about here. Original edge = £150, 2 new humbuckers = £70 each including shipping from Axiomatic Music, depending on the model. A good tech to put all that in for you would be 30/40 on the electronics + whatever routing is needed if any, for the edge. If you're buying the same bridge again though, you could just do it all yourself with a soldering iron and some allen keys.

From where I'm sat at least, buying a new guitar of the same quality, just because one part of your old one (Which can be fixed) has gone off a bit... well thats just a waste of money.
----------------
Now playing: Escaflowne - Shadow of Doubt
via FoxyTunes

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 08-15-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Tags
basswood body , bridge pickup , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge iii trem , jumbo frets , maple neck , neck pickup , pickup switch , pickup switching , rosewood fingerboard , shark tooth inlays , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode