Just bought this mystery Radius... any help ID'ing it? [Pics!] - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Just bought this mystery Radius... any help ID'ing it? [Pics!]

Here's part of the item description from the 'bay:

"The body looks like what I believe is called a "RADIUS". I can't find a serial number on it anywhere, and it appears the headstock has been re-logoed with a cool mirror-like type. It has also been refinished. The refinish isn't professional. It isn't a mirror-like finish, and has not been clear-coated. Kind of a satin finish, but it looks pretty decent. It has what I think is called an AANJ, or "all-access neck joint" that makes for a smooth transition between the body and the neck. It has an Ibanez Lo-TRS Floyd Rose, and Grover tuners, dual humbucker pickups with a three-way switch, one volume, and one tone. There is a Floyd Rose style nut on it, but it does not have the locknuts."

So I am curious if this is an original Radius that was customized, or if this was something slapped together with random parts. Definitely looks like a Radius body, but what about the neck? I suppose I will be able to tell whether or not its a Radius neck by looking at the curvature down the middle. As for the lack of a serial number...another clue that it could be made from parts, but those stickers have been known to fall off over the years.

If anyone notices any clues from the pics I'd love to hear what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radius.JPG (51.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Radius2.JPG (41.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Re: Just bought this mystery Radius... any help ID'ing it? [Pics!]

Judging by the placement of the volume and tone knobs I would say it is a refinished JS. The Lo-TRS hints that it is one of the cheaper models, perhaps a JS100.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 AM

I'd seen that one on that auction site - a friend of mine was giving serious consideration to buying it, but never did. Looks pretty cool. Lanze is probably right. If you're really digging it and the trem isn't exactly what you want, should be easy enough to upgrade it. If I remember the price on it - definitely seemed like a pretty good buy. Congrats! Post updates if you decide to do anything to it!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 AM

i saw it too.i gues its a radius.that was the same as the JS later.i dont like the trem.what are you going to do with it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM

The listing said it has an AANJ -- is that correct or did he confuse AANJ with the usual JS/Radius sculpted neck joint?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM

I'd like to see a picture of the back, and the output jack. The jack placement will tell you definitively whether it's a JS or Radius HH. The trem route does suggest it's a JS100, but I'd have to see more of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
The listing said it has an AANJ -- is that correct or did he confuse AANJ with the usual JS/Radius sculpted neck joint?
I think the seller just doesn't have his Ibanez terminology down. Isn't the AANJ on Jems and RG's? That's definitely incorrect for this guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
i saw it too.i gues its a radius.that was the same as the JS later.i dont like the trem.what are you going to do with it?
It should prove to be a half-decent backup to my JS-1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
I'd like to see a picture of the back, and the output jack. The jack placement will tell you definitively whether it's a JS or Radius HH. The trem route does suggest it's a JS100, but I'd have to see more of it.
It should arrive on Monday, so I will take more pics then so we can solve this mystery.

Its probably not a JS-100 neck because every JS-100 I've ever seen has "Joe Satriani" written at the 21st fret. It could be the body of a JS-100 though.

Also, every JS-100 I've ever seen has the shiny silver Lo-TRS II bridge. On the other hand, if this was actually a Radius body, wouldn't they have had to re-route to downgrade from the Edge bridge? The bridge really makes this whole thing pretty confusing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode