Just bought a new RG520!!! Opinions here. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a new RG520!!! Opinions here.

Hey guys, I just bought a new transparent blue RG520QS!!! Hell yeah! I'm really excited for it to come ...Anyway,who plays one of these things? Could you state some of your opinions of this? I think I'll definitely like the sound of the stock pu's(especially when I get that new tube amp ),but I might end up changing em out for the JPM pu's. Anyway guys, any opinions would be appreciated. Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:33 PM

I got 3 of them,love the mahogony.Tz in one,evo's in the others.Great guitars.You will like.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I just posted in another thread about your RG520 lol. Did you like the stock pu's in it before you put the DiMarzio in it? So, you like this more than a JEM,eh? Sweetness...I'm quite excited to get this,then start to build my kick arse rig !
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:59 PM

The stocks were not bad sounding.I am just used to the extra kick the dz give my triaxis.I just picked up a rg3120 in red.I am very impressed with this guitar also.I am real into mahogony lately.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:58 AM

mahagony inclined? count me in however, my current fav squeeze is my S540, that slick body simply kills!! haven't found a mahagony RG that i like- yet...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 07:49 AM

Ibanez NEEDS (and I mean wow needs) more mahogany bodied RGs. Especially a nice mid-range fixed bridge with full binding and baritone scale....hehehe I need a few of those!!

Just so I add something to the topic, the 520 , must be a nice guitar. Never played it before...But you know how I feel about RGs and.....mahogany...Ooo....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I also think it has to be a real nice guitar. I mean, it has the super shredable Wizard neck,best trem bridge in the world(side by side with the lo pro), looks, and sound to match! I'm totally digging this guitar!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:31 PM
RGN

For the money this is one of the best guitars period. A tremendous bargin. Musicians Friend is running these for $499 now! I have nicer guitars (ESP custom shop, Jem 7VWH, Charvels, etc..) but still use this one about 30% of the time. Mine is wired really cool. It can sound like a tele, strat or really anything. I wanted this guitar to be flexible.

In the bridge it has Duncan Custom Custom and in the neck a Alinco Pro II. I never tried the stock picups. It has a three position switch versus the stock 5 (my guitar tech's idea) because I only use three positions anyway. Both the volume and tone are pull-pots. When I pull-up the volume it lowers the output to sound like the coils are split- with this I can get a really cool strat tone or push in the pot to get that classic humbucker sound. The coils aren't really split so I don't get noise. When I pull up on the tone pot my pickups go out of phase with each other. Sounds cool for some things but I don't really use it that much. I like the guitar's neck and looks. I hear people say RG's don't stay in tune that well
when gigging and rehersing. This guitar lived in a studio for two years and was subject to some pretty heavy use and I never experienced any tuning problems.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 04:42 PM

Used to own one... Pretty guitar, the only electric i've ever owned that my dad thought was attractive. Top wasn't all i hoped it'd be, though (an ibanez quilt, especially a comparatively cheap one, isn't going to be as pronounced as a PRS 10-top, for instance, and the stain was a little dark to properly show it off), and i found the Wizard neck a little too thin for my hands (it was screwing up my wrist), so when i got a shot at a 7620 at a good price, i let it go. I still go back to the store i sold it to every once and a while and play it, although it always makes me want to cry- i'd chipped the finish quite a bit in the few months i'd owned it, but there's no excuse for the amount of additional abuse it's gone through since i sold it to them- there's a few more chips on the back,. the neck is filthy (as are the strings), and there's scratches all over the top. Not to mention a horrific setup (the bridge went back into thje body quite a bit- the dude who set it up saw the bridge was starting to rise, so he simply popped another spring in the back. I wanted to shoot him, because it played damned well when i sold it.)... I even offered to re-set it up for free, but they didn't let me.

And the kicker is, they're still asking $450. *shakes head* Hell of a player, but that guitar is trashed, cosmetically... I'd offer them two hundred tops, and then get it professionally refinished.

-Drew
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:10 PM

i second the proposal for the 3-way switch. some of us simply has no use for a split tone, IMO, the best single coil tone comes from a single coil equipped guitar- the reason why i bought a fender. BUT ibanez is still top on my list... anyway, the current RG620 is dual humbuckered & has a 3-way switch.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the 520 is a great bang for the buck. i recommend leaving the 5-way, unless you prefer a more limited sounding guitar. pickups are a personal thing, so choose whatever ones you like if the stock PUs are insufficient ...glen
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm so happy to see positive opinions of this guitar! I'm still looking towards replacing the pu's with the JPM setup, but am still excited to hear the stock ones
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Vendor

It was always my pick as best bang, then they raised the price. But now that they're on blowout they're a no brainer as best best bang for buck
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Vendor

BTW Glen, you been slackin, check the post count
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
hehe... i saw that... gotta get my fingers moving

Tags
custom shop , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , guitar tech , humbucker sound , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , strat tone , tube amp , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode