Just bought this online, RG655-CBM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Just bought this online, RG655-CBM

I was looking to buy a Prestige guitar and everywhere has these for sale for around 1100ish, so I saw this and thought it must be an error so I called them and they gave me all the right answers and just said its been on the shelf a while, so anyways thought I couldn't really go wrong so clicked and bought it, for 800 I thought it seemed a bargain as there is second hand ones for sale for this on eBay. (Sorry I don't know conversion rates to dollars).

https://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/pro...-blue-metallic

Anything I should be looking out for when it arrives, seems too good to be true?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Re: Just bought this online, RG655-CBM

800 quid is a fantastic price for it. I have the same model in black and it's fantastic. Love the bridge, neck, finish, everything. I got it used cheaper than 800 used but looks like that one is new.

Nothing special to look out for I don't think, but if it's been in the shop for a bit it's probably a slightly older one, like a 2015 model. Those retailed for a bit under a thousand pound I think. As far as I can tell they haven't changed it at all, just kept it in the catalogue for a few years, changing colours and whatnot.

The newer versions have been getting steadily more expensive, but I think its because either the pound is tanking, or they realise its amazing value and can raise price a bit. The rosewood/bubinga treaty thing may increase the price too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I saw they do a rh655m with maple fretboard, much difference? I wasnt about to pay 300 more for it though lol
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:20 AM

One of the reasons your guitar was sitting on the shelf for awhile was probably because it had been sitting on the shelf for awhile. It is a weird consumer psychology thing. People think "if no one else has bought it there must be a problem with it so I am not going to buy it." Shops will then discount the guitar in an effort to move it. Ironically, this can make it harder to sell because people will consciously think "something IS wrong with it if they are selling it that cheap."

If something seems to good to be true, ask the right questions (like you did) and if you get the right answers, take advantage of the opportunity if you feel inclined. Congrats on being wiser than the average guitar buyer and your new guitar!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:27 AM

That price is the 'old' price, I just bought the RG655-GK for a similar price yesterday, very happy with it.

I'd imagine that your guitar has been on display for a while, so check it for wear and tear, clearcote pick swirls, buckle rash, neck pocket cracks etc.

Oh and dents down the side of the fretboard where its been chucked into a stand! (Speaking from experience)

Last edited by chris101; 02-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Really happy with my purchase, really digging the colour too

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 10

very nice - great score! congratulations!!!

Tags
rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode