Just got a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string!(Questions,comments - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Just got a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string!(Questions,comments

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, but I've been reading the posts here for close to a year. I've been interested in 7-string guitars for quite a while, I've done my research, played an Ibanez UV and AX7221, nice guitars, but I had no money at the time, lol.

Anyway, just this morning, I went to a local pawn shop, thinking there was no way there would be a 7-string there, and much to my surprise, hanging on the wall (along with a shocking amount of cool guitars) was a Conklin GTG-7. Well, to make a long story even longer, I got it for $200 US dollars. That seems to be a good deal, there's nothing wrong with it, I'm gonna polish it up, change the strings, etc., and it'll basically be brand new. The truss rod cover is missing (neck is straight, the truss rod nut seems to be fine).

The only problem is the pickups are kinda weak. I've been reading about pickups, but I would prefer advice from the apparently very experienced and talented people on here (no, I'm not buttering you up )

OK, so, the body is Cherry, neck is 5 piece Purpleheart/Maple, fretboard is Rosewood. I would very much appreciate any suggestions. I play mainly hard rock, I suppose, dabbling in metal, texas-bluesy stuff, some jazzy stuff. EMG's and Lungren's are probably out of the question, a bit too expensive for me. So, Duncan's or DiMarzio's seem the way to go.

On a side note, I highly recommend this guitar for a beginning/intermediate 7-string player. The neck is the most comfortable of the 7-strings I've played.

I still can't believe it was 200 bucks.

Take care, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 PM

Sounds like an awesome deal man...congrats!

I've never really tried Dimarzios, but I do have Seymour Duncan JB and 59, they r awesome! They go really well together as well, in my oppinion anyway.

Kim
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 03:40 PM

a tone zone in the bridge to add this crap some bottom end and midrange chunk, and an air norton in the neck to have a cappucino-sweet sound when shredding!

i really need to get one myself, but they are a a bit too pricey here in france.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:57 PM

200 bucks! Wow, great deal! Hope the axe treats you well. Once you go seven, it's the next best thing to heaven! (LOL... corny, I know. )

As far as pickups, I second sam666. I have the TZ7 and AN7 (Tone Zone 7 and Air Norton 7) and love 'em. But, I've only heard good things about Dimarzio's EVO7, and lots of good stuff about the Blazes and Blaze Custom. The PAF7's, I personally like. It's Korn's sound from 'Untouchables', and I love that album, and thier guitar sound.

As for SD's, the JB and '59... wow. Those pickups rock, man. Also heard good things about the Invader, the Custom, and the Jazz. (All come in 7-string varieties. Now if only they made a Screamin' Demon 7! Besides paying out the a$$ for a custom shop version, that is. Oh well. Maybe someday.)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
As far as pickups, I second sam666.
669 please! come on, who's the real evil here, who has a low Gb strung over there?!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's Korn's sound from 'Untouchables', and I love that album, and thier guitar sound.
I only know a few Korn songs, but one of the first things I played when I got my GTG-7 home was "Blind". With my DigiTech RP200 on the "Scoop" preset, I nailed the tone, and with the stock pickups! Once I get some top-quality p-ups in there, it's gonna be a monster.

On a side note, that pawn shop I got it from will cut some amazing deals, next time I have some cash, I'm headin' back. I could have gotten a BC Rich 6-string Warlock in great shape with dual EMG's (81 & 85) for $200, as well.

Thanks for all your help, guys, I really appreciate it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:25 AM

hey, if you browse digitech's artists patches pages, you could find some i've done.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
Quote:
As far as pickups, I second sam666.
669 please! come on, who's the real evil here, who has a low Gb strung over there?!
To quote Homer Simpson,

WHOOPSY!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
hey, if you browse digitech's artists patches pages, you could find some i've done.
I don't think I have the right cables and whatnot for that, but as soon as I do, I'll check it out for sure

Well, the consensus seems to be either:

1. TZ7(B) & Air Norton 7(N)

or

2. JB-7(B) & '59-7(N)

I think I'll be able to get the DiMarzio's for a better price, so that's gonna play into the decision...

Does anyone have any wiring suggestions? Right now, the GTG-7 has a 3 way switch, but that can be replaced, of course.

Hmm...Bright blue humbuckers on a black guitar...

Later!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBaba
Quote:
I don't think I have the right cables and whatnot for that, but as soon as I do, I'll check it out for sure
you don't need cables, just surf the users' artists patches page, and you'll find mine Mr "x"
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 11:11 AM

Well, with a 3-way switch, you could have it wired like Petrucci...
1) Bridge humbucker
2) Inside coils, both humbuckers (Quack sound)
3) Neck humbucker

Probably (maybe?) would need a different 3-way switch, however. The TZ7 and AN7 sound real sweet, and very Strat-like in the split coil position.

Or, you could get a 5-way mega switch, and wire it up like my 2027...
1) Bridge humbucker
2) Inside coils, both humbuckers (Quack sound)
3) Both humbuckers, series
4) Neck humbucker, parallel
5) Neck humbucker

VERY versatile sound arrangement, and switching is simplicity itself.

Plus, you could keep the stock 3-way, and install push/pull or push/push pots (tone and volume) to get coil taps, series/parallel switches, etc.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Sam669: Remind me never to talk before I know what I'm talking about . When I actually looked at the site, I understood.

Wordwolf: Thanks for breaking it down like that! Very helpful.

The strings that come on the guitar were VERY worn, so, after changing them, I realize the pickups aren't as bad as I originally thought. Still likely going the replace them.

I'm just amazed how easily I've adjusted to 7-strings. I always thought I'd have to fight the guitar, but it plays real smooth and fast.

Later!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:06 PM

what ibanez 7s have you played, and how does the neck on the gtg compares to them?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: Just got a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string!(Questions,comm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBaba
I've done my research, played an Ibanez UV and AX7221, nice guitars,
From my first post, hehe.

The Conklin is much more comfortable, I would say. The Ibanez guitar necks have that "flat in the middle" thing that can be disconcerting. However, I didn't get to play the Ibanez's for more than a couple minutes, I might've been able to handle them.

My GTG-7 has a soft, thin "C" profile, with something like a 15" or 20" radius. Very flat.

As an aside, I think I'm going to go with medium to low output pickups, my style doesn't really require the TZ7's 385(!!!!!) milivolt output. Maybe a PAF7(n) & Air Norton7(b)?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:54 PM

That "flat-in-the-middle" feel is exactly why i don't like most RG necks, and especially the RG7 necks. Just doesn't work with my hand size and shape.

Tags
air norton , body shape , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil tap , custom shop , neck humbucker , output pickup , pickup combination , seymour duncan , string guitars , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode