Just got my BC Rich 7 String Warlock! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Just got my BC Rich 7 String Warlock!

Hey everyone just got my BC Rich Platinum Pro 7 String Warlock! *pelvic thrust*

should be here by wednesday, I cant wait! Anyone else got one of these?

Anyone got any complaints or good notes about this guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:06 AM

i played a 6string warlock a while ago, and couldnt stand how it sounded.
tell me if yours is made of wood and not plywood
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:52 AM

I used to have one of the original Warlocks by B.C.Rich,,, that was before they started the series game,,, n.j., platinum etc.... Back in the early 80's the quality was comparable to Jackson and esp. The sound was amazing!
Hey do they still offer the 7's with the ports? They were hollowing out the top portion of the warlocks and Bich's making a sound port to better improve the sound of the low B.

You know what you should have it swirled! You should also look and see if it is real wood or ply wood.
~A
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:35 PM

I use to have the NJ 7 string warlock. Not a bad guitar for the price IMHO. Just needs the usual pickup swap.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Nah its not plywood! cant remember what wood it is, agathis/chesswood I think. Ive heard that agathis is a cheap wood but sounds like mahogany, with a hint of alder and has loads of sustain, can anyone verify this?

I might get it swirled in a nice blue white and black colour or change the pickups.

Should i stick with the stocks or go with two emg 707's or an evo 7 in the bridge? havent got loads o' cash but want a good meshuggah sound so the lundgren pickup is out of the question! And loads of harmonics and heavy palm mutes!

Anyone got any suggestions?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:10 PM

double tone zone 7
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:38 PM

That really looks good, I think. I really like the flat black finish. As far as pickups, I wouldn't reccommend EMGs unless you want to sound like everyone else, and give up any good clean tones the guitar might have in it. I haven't played one, but you might check out a 7 string Duncan Distortion. The sample on their site sounds good, and it's got a nice looking EQ curve. It ramps up with the treble dominating. Another pup that I can say sounds good is the Invader. I used to have a 6 string version of it. Obviously the 7 string version will sound a bit different, but should sound similar. I also agree with sam about the Tone Zone being a good choice, though I'm not sure about it being in the neck, it's alreay got so much bass and mids. Just get a pickup with really good tone, then if you want more output from it, just invest in an EMG Afterburner. In my opinion, this is probably the best and worst product they've ever made. Best in the sense that it's a great product, and can take your favorite pickup and give it output comparable to EMG's active pickups, and worst in the sense that it, in my opinion, renders the rest of their product line inferior. If you can have a passive pickup with great sound, personality, AND active output, then why would you go for an active pickup that sounds sterile?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM

By the way, you mentioned that you didn't have the cash for a Lundgren but were considering getting two EMG 707s. Well, I've got news for you: EMG's ain't cheap. Especially the 707, since they have to be custom ordered and made. And if you have enough for two, then you'll definitely have enough for one Lundgren.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Good points about the emg's, one question about the invader and duncan distortion do they both have a good tone and not just a lifeless distortion sound? Ive heard that the invader just had sick amounts of output and feeded back quite alot is this true?

Also some one mentioned in these forums that the tone zone 7 was a really good rock pickup but it couldnt be used for over the top panterra stlye sounds coz it sounded like it had the volume/tone rolled back a bit?

Would anyone recomend getting an evo 7? remember harmonics and chunky MF paml mutes are a must!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:18 AM

do you really think paul gilbert's riff sound is weak, or with the tone knob rolled back to zero?
i mean, if you EQ your amp correctly, you can have the thing to crunch and chunk!

i cant remember wether it was Wound or TwoHands that had a TZ in a 2027 and sounded like Godsmack. So wtf?

but seriously, if you really want to sound good, do yourself that favour, get the lundgren!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

ok ill guess ill have to save up for a lundgren! - but thanks for all the help and advice guys!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:41 AM

no prob, but i honestly think its the best solution
i mean, when you really want a special thing, dont just get something approaching if you can have the original with a little of patience

oh, and as we're talking about pickups, anyone knows what could help me get near that gambale neck p-u tone on my 2027? the man uses a hot rail. air norton 7? blaze bridge in the neck? hmm
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:59 AM

That was me with the 2027/TZ7 combo, and the Godsmack sound. It CAN sound like the tone is rolled off, esp. in mahogany, but! Here's the caveat... this can be muddy, IF you're not careful. However, the mids of the TZ7 can actually bring UP clarity. You just have to watch your EQ settings. Having alot of mids before you hit the preamp can give you some mega crunch, (BTW, the TZ works extremely well IMHO in a band setting. Like most, I like a more 'scooped' sound, and that's great for bedroom jamming. But in a band, I'm always ADDING mids. Brings the sound out, and fits in the mix better. At high volumes, bass EQ is for the bass guitar. The guitar itself needs to be solidly mid-heavy to cut. Just an aside.)

So, at any rate, with lots of mids, you just shape the EQ at the amp. I use a semi-parametic EQ, and for my rhythm sound I like to cut the low mids around 600Hz or so, and boost the upper mids at aroun 2.5Kz, give or take. You can get a great, bone-jarring crunch with the TZ7 like this, and it has a LOT of bit and cut (I also usually boost the treble a bit.) With high gain, the TZ7's treble can come right back and bite you, so, I guess it all depends how you do it. For lead settings, gimmie mids I say. 1-2K boost all over the place.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 01:07 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
Having alot of mids before you hit the preamp can give you some mega crunch, (BTW, the TZ works extremely well IMHO in a band setting. Like most, I like a more 'scooped' sound, and that's great for bedroom jamming. But in a band, I'm always ADDING mids. Brings the sound out, and fits in the mix better. At high volumes, bass EQ is for the bass guitar. The guitar itself needs to be solidly mid-heavy to cut. Just an aside.)
he aint wrong
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so alot of mids before hitting the amp is a good thing from what im hearing. But what if someone ( me ) wants to go for a really scooped slipknot / slayer / anthrax sound, shouldnt I be using pickups which have less mids in them?

Now alot of you are saying that the mid reduction should be done on the amp and not on the pickups, but the mids are gonna get scooped anyway so what the point of having loads a mids on a pickup, when an amp can add loads but cant scoop enough of them out?

Also one more question does having active eq's enable you to add/scoop the sound more? If so should i just save for a new amp or get a active eq pedal or sumthing? - remember no cash here -

Tags
air norton , bass response , blaze bridge , bridge pickup , clean tone , darren wilson , duncan distortion , gauge strings , neck pickup , output pickup , palm mute , paul gilbert , power amp , preamp tube , scooped mids , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode