Just got my first J-custom...... - .....Worried about Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Just got my first J-custom...... - .....Worried about Ibanez

Thanks Glen for sorting out the glitches.

Anyway, just bought my 3rd Ibanez electric....the Rg1680TW.
The transaction went smoothly with Ishibashi & the guitar is a real beauty.
Much, much better than the pics I've seen of it.

However I am a bit concerned about QC at Ibanez.
Upon closer inspection,the nut was slightly askewed. There was a slight but clearly noticeable gap between the nut and the fretboard near the lower strings.
The nut was also displaced about 0.5-0.75mm in the direction of the lower string.

After tuning it up and adjusting the bridge, the *lower 4 strings were still buzzing from the 1st(open string included!!) till the 6th fret.
I had to add a shim to raise the nut, *then proceeded to adjust the allignment of the nut.
I have tried to put a bow on it. Will check on the buzzing and clearance again tomorrow. *I think that the thicker ultra neck may need more time before it bows.

I have been anticipating this purchase for a long time and frankly am dissappointed with Ibanez for allowing this problem in a J-custom to slip through QC. I am a big fan of Ibanez guitars (to the point of *obsession) but I don't think I'll ever purchase another guitar without inspecting it thoroughly first.

Having said that, I'll forgive Ibanez if the buzzing is gone tomorrow..........; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 09:25 AM

Just got my first J-custom......

[quote]I am a big fan of Ibanez guitars (to the point of *obsession)

Welcome to the club. Being obsessive is the only way to go
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

congrats on the guitar

Ibanez QC, fit and finish is what it is. You might have read the J-Custom Overview and F.A.Q. here.

Considering also the guitar shipped from Japan to you, with no setup in between (from a distributor or dealer here in the USA) this is probably no great surprise. Let it sit a WEEK before doing any fine-tuning to setup. Good luck... glen

(waiting for Kev to come huffing and puffing on in)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:54 PM

*huff*
*puff*
...and back to looking at big azz houses in Dallas.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:59 PM

lesson nš1 play the guitar then buy it. unless of course you're a collector and the thing will live in its case.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Kevan on 12:54 pm on Mar. 2, 2002
*huff*
*puff*
...and back to looking at big azz houses in Dallas.
The entile Cowboys football team could live in one of them big azz Dallas houses, try looking for a small azz house. Remember, EVERYTHING in Texas is BIG!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 02:45 PM

Glad to hear you finally got the guitar!

You know, I'd totally forgotten about it until now, but when I got my 1680, the nuts on two of the tuners were loose, and one of the screws that holds the locking nut down was also loose. *I was also surprised by this on a guitar from Ibanez' 'flagship' line. *But tht guitar's been my favorite ever since I got it, so much so that I hadn't even thought about those minor issues until now.

I think it's also important to consider these guitars, while being some of Ibanez' best, come in well under the price of, say, the cheapest PRS. *And I had to mod my PRS to get it to a point where I even liked it. (new tuners)

I guess what I'm saying is, if they're going to get something wrong, at least it's the easily-correctable stuff. *It does suck to have to tweak a brand new guitar of that caliber, but at least you'll still have a guitar you can love for a long time afterwards.

Man, that must be one SWEET looking guitar! *The pics they sent you looked damn good, so if it's better, it must really be something!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Vendor

*Loose* parts are normal, you never have any idea how long that guitar has been sitting there shrinking, and all wood to metal contacts should be checked every 3 months. This does not include pad bolts which should always be tight, especially during shipping.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 03:42 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems...hope simple adjustments make it happen for you. *Did Ishibashi send you pics of the guitar before you placed your order?
Greg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Glen, I'll take your advice.....the guitar's already slightly better today.
Probably will be fine in one week.

Caprille, I don't know about Chile but in many parts of the world there is no way one can try or see the guitar one wants before purchasing it. I guess I knew the risks and I knew that I HAD to take it.

Greg, the guitar is gorgeous.....did I already say that?
I suppose having the guitar not properly set up is to be expected. Many of the screws on my guitar were loose(no problem). I was just surprised that the guitar had bad open string buzzing. Didn't expect that.
And as you've said, it is the CORRECTABLE stuff. Everything else *is perfect : )

Rich, wish that buying my next guitars from you were an option.
Unfortunately, shipping would kill me.
P.S love your section on the used guitar primer.

Ishibashi did send me 5 pics, 3 of which were very poorly focussed. I asked for pics mainly to confirm the finish as I have not heard of another TW RG1680.Was ecstatic to see that it was indeed twilight blue...one of my fav colours.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:44 AM

Last edited by SHREDlamode; 01-11-2007 at 10:09 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 03:15 AM

it is a shame when you get a new guitar, specifically an expensive one, and the set up is ick, but then, it sux when a entry level guitar is set up bad too, I know people who quit playing because they didn't know their guitar could be set up better than what it was. *
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

* * Glad to say that after three weeks the neck has bowed to perfection and the setup is exactly what I want it to be...to my relief. *

I'll try to post some pics soon if I can get hold of a cam. * * *

Tags
ibanez guitars , locking nut , lower strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode