Just got a USRG20 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Just got a USRG20

I picked up a used USRG 20 on Ech-Bay. I've been curious to see how a tension-free neck feels and sounds, and this looked like a good way to do it ($510 didn't seem too out of line).

I did a forum search and didn't find many posts on them. I have an idea how the neck works, but would be scared to try to make any adjustments as most of what I've heard is "don't touch that hole!" (sounds like a punchline for a prison joke).

Also, the differences between the 20 vs. 30noted in the tech/spec section shows AAA top and bound neck for the 30 vs AA top & unbound neck on the 20 - it should also be noted that the 30 has a matching flame headstock, while the 20 only sports a black headstock (wa hoo).

Anyone care to comment on the pros & cons of the tension-free neck?

Typical fashion for me to BUY the friggin thing first, and THEN ask questions.

I just had such a jones for a different guitar since my JEM DSY is out of commission due to a crappy fret-job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:48 AM

I was going to buy a USRG-30 off ebay, but something seemed strange about the bidding, one guy kept bidding against himself, making the price higher so i said screw it and bought a RG 3120 instead...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think I saw that one. The RG3120 is a great guitar (I have a TW). In fact, the USRG20 is basically the 3120 with a TFN.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:37 PM

Yeah, how's the neck, is it like the regular wizard? Post some pics when you get a chance...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNICKCD
Yeah, how's the neck, is it like the regular wizard? Post some pics when you get a chance...
Exactly... although I most likely won't be able to tell from pics. Does the USRG series REALLY use a Wizard neck, or is it the bogus Wizard that the 3120 uses? I prefer the early '90's Wizard neck... it's not nearly as wide as the one on the 3120.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Does the USRG series REALLY use a Wizard neck
Well... it simply says "tension-free" in the specs. I'm not quite sure you can say the dimensions are relative to a "Wizard". The USRG necks were thicker than most (19mm to 21mm at 12th) likely to accomodate the steel support for the neck?

You know, to me a mm or two of THICKNESS doesn't make a difference in playing comfort - I always notice the width and prefer a wider neck. Even then, it's not like I can't play it as well, it's just slight preference.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 02:54 PM

I took delivery of my 30 not long ago and it's becoming a fav. The feel immediately hit me...that's the stiffest neck I've ever felt. Not that other necks ever seemed flimsy, but I noticed quite a difference. I've not touched the adjustment, since it seems to be fine as is. The only "con" might be the added weight, and perhaps the unusual headstock connection (which could be a "pro"). Hope it works out for you...if not, there's an auction spot waiting.
Greg
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliderJeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNICKCD
Exactly... although I most likely won't be able to tell from pics. Does the USRG series REALLY use a Wizard neck, or is it the bogus Wizard that the 3120 uses? I prefer the early '90's Wizard neck... it's not nearly as wide as the one on the 3120.

Thanks,
Jeff
Whats different between the 90's wizard neck and the one on the 3120?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

CDNICKCD - how's the neck on what? The 3120 or USRG20?

Got the USRG today - I'm very happy with it! What a neat idea the TFN is. Wonder why Ibanez didn't continue a line with it? I think PBC went out of business, but...

The guitar literally "rings" and it cleaned up nicely. Has a wide feeling neck becasue it's more of a "D" shape (Like a JEM) and doesn't really seem to be a Wizard shape, and the headstock doesn't tilt back - it's level with the board.

That it came on my 16th anniversary, and my wife was happy for me having it is also a treat.

I wouldn't trade her for a DNA.

That JPM Swiss camo 7 string that Rich has, maybe, but not much else.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:39 PM

Hey Mark DY: Have you ever been to the House of Guitars in Rochester,NY? I was going to ask you when you were looking around for US Customs...

Sorry for going off topic boys...proceed.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

You better believe it! Prolly once every month or so I check in to see what's up from the "basement".

That's where I got my UCMD snake. I love that place!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:10 AM

>>> You better believe it! Prolly once every month or so I check in to see >>> what's up from the "basement".

Yeah, I figured that's where you got it from. I saw the snake there plus a couple more: Lizzard, Silver Pea****, Leopard. Man, you would not believe the guitars that they are rumored to have in the basement. NO ONE except the "brothers" are allowed down there. No other human has gone done there and returned alive. I heard there's a NOS Jem GMC down there but I haven't been able to confirm it. You just can't ASK "can you go down in the basement and located a Jem GMC" - I don't think there is any artificial light down there anyways. They'll look at you like you're nuts.
Reportedly, one of the brothers - Blaine, knows where everything is down there. I remember when I bought my VWH there and wanted a UV1000 case. They guy helping me brought up a different Ibanez case with white letters "Ibanez" on it. I said, "no this is not a UV1000 - it has pink letters". He told me he couldn't find any case like that. Well, Blaine overheard the conversation, went down to the crypt and brought up I UV1000 that looked like it was entombed during the Crusades. But, perfect inside!
Anyways, the HOG rocks. Man, have you ever seen so many awesome Strats in one place?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

It does rock! I keep trying to get them to sell me the UCMD leopard skin for $600 w/ case and they won't budge. They still have NOS USA customs, a Power, an RG1200 hardtail, a silver snake but the edges are totally beat, they had a silver pea****, and this wierd bright orange one with a triple humbucker!!!

That place is a fire hazard for sure.

Ever go through the tunnel to the t-shirt room? Holy crap.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:27 PM

>>> They still have NOS USA customs, a Power, an RG1200 hardtail, a >>> silver snake but the edges are totally beat, they had a silver pea****, >>> and this wierd bright orange one with a triple humbucker!!!
They had a J-custom on a trade-in I'd never seen before about six weeks ago but haven't seen it recently. Maybe it was an archtop (ARCH-1) but I don't know. And they've got RG's up the wahzoo.

>>> That place is a fire hazard for sure.
Your're telling me! If it went up it would make the Hindenburg look like a barbaque.

>>> Ever go through the tunnel to the t-shirt room? Holy crap
Oh yeah. They actually have T-shirts that must have been pre-worn because there's yellow stains under the armpits. How about the poster box! A six-foot high collection of ripped up crinkeled posters from every imaginal band in the known universe - I even saw the Bay City Rollers! Have you ever seen such a disorderly humogous collection of CD's and albums scattered all over the freakin place like that in your life? Believe it or not, similar to the guitar room there is one guy there that can find anything! You've probably seen him. Looks like Alice Cooper, wears egyptian eye-like makeup, leotard pants. His name is "Crackers" and I think he is (was) the lead singer in a band called the Chesterfield Kings. He's been working there since before the beginning of time.
Man, what a cool place.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:34 PM

Thanks elfstones, I was just beginning to be envious that this shop was not here in dallas, but now I can't keep a straight face.
Greg

Tags
black headstock , jem gmc , jimmy page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez usrg20?
Ibanez usrg20?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode