Just joined the 7-string community - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Just joined the 7-string community

I bought my first 7-string guitar in the form of an Ibanez RG7321 friday from my local music store. I bought the guitar used for $250 and it was definitely a good buy. The guitar couldn't be more than a year old and aside from a lot of minor scratches on the body it's in very good condition. When I first played the guitar at the music store, it was set up horribly. The action was WAY TOO HIGH, the neck was bowing so much you could shoot an arrow with it, and it was just kind of dingy-looking. Yet despite all that, I saw the possibilities of the guitar and was looking for my next guitar anyway.

When I got the guitar home, the first thing I did was to cut off the old rusted strings. Then I went through and slowly cleaned the whole guitar, front and back. The previous owner of the guitar really didn't treat it very well or use it to its full ability because the frets were barely worn and judging from the wear pattern and the tuning it was in when I bought it (AEADGBE) I'm guessing that the previous owner was the type who liked to stick to the 3 low strings. After I finished cleaning it, I noticed that every single tuner was loose. I don't even know how the guitar stayed in tune. I tightened them up and then re-string the guitar. After that, the guitar looked almost brand new.

I tried to adjust the neck and the action myself, but obviously I didn't know what I was doing so I took it back to the shop and had the owner adjust it. He does free work on every guitar he sells and it only took him like 3 minutes to set it up perfectly, just like my other guitar. This guitar makes the transition from 6 to 7 string effortless and it just SCREAMS to be modded. I'm going to doing something to spruce up the exterior of the guitar as well as change the stock pickups to a Dimarzio Blaze Custom and Blaze Neck.

Now if I could only find some 7 string songs to learn....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Re: Just joined the 7-string community

Congratulations! The RG7321 is a great guitar - I should know because I've got one. I'll also be modding mine, switching the pickups to an Air Norton 7 and a Blaze Custom. I've also been toying around with the idea of getting chromed tuners for it... har har har!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Chromed guitar tuners, eh. I think it would work as long as you also change the bridge (or atleast re-paint it) chrome as well.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Nope, not necessary. I photoshopped a picture I had taken of my guitar cranking up the brightness and contrast on the tuners to mimic a chrome-look - and it looks sweet! Also tested what a white Blaze Custom would look like, and the outcome was equally sweet.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Doesn't sound bad at all. Just make sure that you get good tuners.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:37 PM

7strings are fun, enjoy!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 AM

I always wanted to try these:

http://members.aol.com/intertunei/LSR.tuners/
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarone
I always wanted to try these:

http://members.aol.com/intertunei/LSR.tuners/
Hmm, seems interesting...if not a tad bit ugly.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:41 AM

those are ugly
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:03 PM

I'd have to concur with guitarshredder7.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 PM

Congrats on the 7, they are a lot of fun. You can start by just getting used to playing all of your 6 string songs on the 7, and go from there.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Congrats on the 7, they are a lot of fun. You can start by just getting used to playing all of your 6 string songs on the 7, and go from there.
Playing 6 string songs on a 7 string kind of defeats the purpose of having a 7 string. I need some actual 7 string songs to learn so that I'll figure out exactly how this instrument should be used.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I bought my first 7-string guitar in the form of an Ibanez RG7321 friday from my local music store. I bought the guitar used for $250 and it was definitely a good buy..
Good buy indeed! Congrats and welcome to the 7-string community.

I've been playing 7s since '98 and still am. By the way www.sevenstring.org
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
Playing 6 string songs on a 7 string kind of defeats the purpose of having a 7 string. I need some actual 7 string songs to learn so that I'll figure out exactly how this instrument should be used.
a few DT songs:

A Change of Seasons
Lie
Mirror
Dance of Eternity
Just Let Me Breathe

probabyl more.. can't think of them off the top of my head
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 PM

7 string song: uhm let me see

DT:
This Dying Soul
Glass Prison

John Petrucci:
Jaws of Life

Just about any Korn song...(Come on you know you want to!!!)
all the songs stated by Adam are good songs to start with...just start with the main riffs

Stop thinking that a 7 string is a totally different instrument...it is not. I didn't get a 7 string because I wanted to learn how to play a 7 string...I got it because the width of the neck fits my hand better and it doesn't feel like a toothpick. and playing 6 string songs on a 7 string does not defeats the purpose of having a 7 string...it feels different ...As you may hear some of us play nothing but 7 strings. But I can surely tell you I play better on a 7 than on a 6 string.

and Congrats in you purchase....use it well my son....

Tags
air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , blaze neck , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio blaze custom , fixed bridge , fixed bridge ibanez , john petrucci , local music store , low strings , music store , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode