Ibanez JEM Forum banner

just ordered a new RG770DX reissue -- what kind of TLC will it need?

Tags
rg770dx
4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  wicked_lester 
#1 · (Edited)
edit: sorry Im a new member and I'll admit I wasnt paying close attention, I didnt realize there was a prestige forum, and posted here, sorry for the mixup, I'm tired and its 5:50 AM, bad excuse, but the truth nontheless

I was surprised some people still had them in stock online. I placed an order for one -- from a big online retailer... I would've much rather gotten one from ibanezrules.com, as I've heard great things about Rich, and I'm sure it wouldve been well taken care of there. but sadly I already had clicked the checkout button before I checked to see if ibanezrules had any in stock, and I wrongly assumed there were none.

but considering it's coming from a big online retailer and not a private shop, almost a year after production (I'm assuming they dont do any work on it at all, and its been left in a crate somewhere), what kind of work should I be expecting to make it a real player?

I mean theres obviously stuff like truss rod adjustments and setting the action/intonation, and setting up the spring tension for the edge bridge (I can easily do all that)

Im not sure what to expect out of it, as it's going to be the first ibanez guitar I own. How is the fretwork on the prestige/reissue guitars from the factory? I've heard the edges arent rounded, but I'm not concerned with that, I'm more worried about the leveling/dressing. If the edges bother me I can smooth those down myself, but if it's gonna need a complete level/dressing out of the box, I'll have to send it to get plek'd.

anyway, cheers to my first ibanez. I've played a bunch of them in stores and they really felt right to me. Hopefully this will live up to my expectations of it :)

edit: didnt know other sites names were blocked sorry for the mistake, I wasnt endorsing them (quite the opposite actually)

See less See more
#3 ·
don't know about that big retailer standards but usually guitars from stores need any kind of works, especially truss-rod, action and intonation (and stud-lock locking...). probably, being it a MIJ Ibanez it won't need a fret level, unless you're expecting Rich's deluxe standards on it.

#4 ·
well to be honest I dont know what I'm expecting out of it. I guess I'd like to be able to get some low action out of it, I've played a bunch of ibanez guitars in shops and they all felt great to me (at least the higher end MIJ ones).

If I need to, I can spend the extra couple hundred to level/dress the frets. I probably would've got the deluxe setup option had I gotten it through Rich, but Im not so sure I really need it -- I've played on cheaper guitars for a long time. My other guitars are a godin freeway classic, a jackson DK2M, and a strat I put together. As long as it plays as well as or better than the jackson I'll be pretty happy.

#8 ·
yeah I know, I just figured there were a lot fewer of the guitars left than there are. There still arent too many of them left, or at least thats what it looks like to me, but its surprising to me there are any left almost a year later. guess a lot of people will just get the originals used when they show up for cheaper.

so is it considered a prestige series guitar or not? if not, are the fret edges the only thing not held to a high standard? just wondering because I've heard they were prestige from some places, and that they werent from others. Not that it matters, really. I'm sure it'll be pretty decent quality coming from japan. I haven't played too many japanese guitars that didnt rival American quality.

aside from the fret edges I havent heard too many complaints about them.

#15 ·
MIne played good out of the box, but a slight action adjustment(& I took a shim out from under the nut) & it's become my favorite axe, right after my J Custom. I have not needed to intonate or adjust the trussrod (though I usually need to when getting a new Ibanez since Ibanez can't seem to set up a guitar properly).

#16 ·
I got it yesterday, and Im guessing the people who sent it mixed up my shipping and gave me overnight instead of the free shipping. IDK im not complaining, order was sent out the day before yesterday, and I got it the next day.

anyway, the axe seems to be in great shape, aside from some EXTREMELY minor imperfections... as far as I can tell, nothing noticable is wrong, and it plays pretty well... It plays amazing actually. it was in tune when I got it too, and the bridge was parallel so I didnt have to set it up.

the only issue I have with it is that the low E string is slightly buzzing (so lightly it wont show up through an amp), but I havent brought it in for a proper setup yet. the action is about 2.0mm on the low E, and 1.5mm on the high E.

god this thing is AMAZING. It plays fast and smooth, and the Original Edge is the best trem I've EVER played on. It feels so solid when using it, and you can really control the pitch bending and vibrato. I'd say its better than an OFR personally, and a thousand times better than an LFR.

havent been able to play this through a real amp yet -- my JSX gets here in the mail today, but I tried it out through a cheap digitech multi-effects box and it was pretty cool (but everything sounds the same outta that thing :p)

I'd post pics but no camera!!! I'll try to snap some with the webcam attached to my laptop screen, but no promises

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.