Just Ordered Premium RG920qm... How good are they? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Just Ordered Premium RG920qm... How good are they?

I'm not expecting Prestige level quality, or that of my '91 550, but is it a much better guitar than an RG320fm, which I also have, and is also made in Indonesia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Re: Just Ordered Premium RG920qm... How good are they?

They are pretty good. I had a 921 hard tail and it was nicely done, played good, sounded good and the QC was good on it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Got it this afternoon... Was a rough go at first, not tuned, not trem wasn't set up properly, fret edges were sharp. I set up the trem, filed the sharp edges, and it's a pretty sweet guitar, the trem is a bit stiff, I'm sure that'll loosen up with some use. I have no knowledge of this trem though.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4Life View Post
Got it this afternoon... Was a rough go at first, not tuned, not trem wasn't set up properly, fret edges were sharp. I set up the trem, filed the sharp edges, and it's a pretty sweet guitar, the trem is a bit stiff, I'm sure that'll loosen up with some use. I have no knowledge of this trem though.
Trem is stiff because of the stop-bar. It has a Zero Point to rest on to help maintain stability when bending and to assure it returns to pitch when you use the trem.
Check out the tech section of www.ibanezrules.com. I'm pretty sure Rich has information about setting it up there.
Happy New Guitar Day.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I figured that out, and looked up a PDF manual and fixed it, causing me to have to do a quick set up. What was throwing me off was that I thought the stop bar would make the trem only do dives,!so when I was able to do pull ups I figured the stop bar wasn't engaged.

Thanks for the info anyway
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the happy NGD too lol
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

I am really digging this guitar, albeit while still getting used to the narrower string spacing, I still need new strings. After the few touch ups I made, I think this guitar definitely hangs with the EVH Wolfgang Special I owned a few years ago, which I absolutely loved.

Wouldn't mind the Premium Jem

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Pretty guitar.
I don't think the strings on an EZ or EZ2 are spaced any closer than the OE or the EP. I was looking at an RG350 (I had it for a few days) I was thinking of buying, and it didn't seem any closer to me compared to the RG550 and RG1550 I have.
It does look to me, from your picture, that the neck could use an alignment. Your low E looks a bit far from the edge of the board and your high E looks a little close.
It couldn't be the angle of the photo, so I can't tell you for sure.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah I dunno where you're getting the narrower string spacing, its the same as the others.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Just saying it feels narrower than I remember, could be the overall shape of the neck making it feel that way compared to the original Wizard
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM

I guess I can see that. The fact that the fretboard is wider may give the illusion that the strings are closer together.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

It's makin me alter my technique, or lack there of, trying to play with my thumb directly under the center of the neck, which is good for me as it's making me play with a softer touch and work on my vibrato a little more... I'm usually strangling the neck, and grind the stings into the board. I have short fingers so it's hardly a problem for me.

Only thing I'm starting to dislike are the pickups, they sound a bit muddy to me. Wondering what Duncan or DiMarzio's would sound good, something with tight bass, I like the Alternative 8.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Reviews: 120

Well if you like the Alternative 8 then maybe drop that in!

If you have some pickup inquiries check out the pickups forum, and use the template to ask about pickups so we can help.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Well if you like the Alternative 8 then maybe drop that in!

If you have some pickup inquiries check out the pickups forum, and use the template to ask about pickups so we can help.
I posted over there just now lol.

Tags
rg920

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode