Just purchased first Ibanez (prestige). Few questions. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rush--21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Just purchased first Ibanez (prestige). Few questions.

I've been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now (Rich and Jemsite, you guys are hilarious; there should be a forum dedicated to you guys debating). I've been looking at buying an Ibanez for a long time and the RG652AHM generally seems to get a lot of praise. I wasn't able to get my hands on one as nobody around seems to have one in stock. I'm not sure if it's because demand is high or stores generally just don't stock prestige models due to people wanting them brand new. I ended up purchasing one through MusiciansFriend being that they had a 15% off discount going on.

A few questions:

It's on backorder with an ETA of June 5th, I'm assuming because it's currently sitting in a ship container either at sea or at a dock. Are ETA's generally accurate or are they a shot in the dark by retailers; might I be waiting weeks or months? I've heard that containers can sit at the dock for a long time before being unloaded into Ibanez's hands in the states. Also, wouldn't the humidity and temperature of sitting in a container for months on end have an effect on the wood?

Lastly, why is the 652AHM (really any 2015-2016 prestige model) such a highly praised guitar? I was reading here that someone thought they were the best models to come out in over a decade. If that's true, what makes this line so unique?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Just purchased first Ibanez (prestige). Few questions.

LOL. While the pic below better depicts Rich rest assured I take it in stride.

Of course shipment from Japan effects the wood and setup but ask MF if the axe is in Hosh USA or in transit.

I'd personally cancel and order from the hot angry guy if his page is accurate some to choose from
IBANEZ RG652AHM RG652AHMNGB NEBULA GREEN BURST
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Vendor

That's obviously Glen and his girls, and they obviously get their looks from Glen.

I won't beat the drum again but you're buying a guitar that will not be touched from a source that takes anything they're sent. I'd never buy anything I couldn't at least see pictures of exactly what I'm buying first.

As for the backorder, nobody can tell you when your container will be released from customs. If it was due in June it's more likely to be in Bensalem in September.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush--21 View Post
Lastly, why is the 652AHM (really any 2015-2016 prestige model) such a highly praised guitar? I was reading here that someone thought they were the best models to come out in over a decade. If that's true, what makes this line so unique?
I would not say highly praised. I would say popular as they have been the best selling MIJ RG for many years. If it's the more interesting woods or whatever the reason, it sells very well. Quality wise [shut up Glen] no, there is no fret end finishing except the sharp knocked off the ends in Bensalem. Nothing with a maple fretboard non signature has been up to Prestige standards in nearly a decade.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Lol, thanks for the replies. I saw that multiple retailers were projecting June availability dates. Why would they state June if it might not even get to Bansalem until possibly Sept? Can you explain the transit process? Ibanez's are shipped from Japan by cargo ship and then shipped to Bensalem (is this where Ibanez distributes from in the US)? Does anything happen to the guitars at Bensalem to re-resetup and tune the guitars after a long trip over? Or is the inventory merely accounted for and immediately shipped out?

I guess my confusion is what takes so long between getting a shipment from customs to Bensalem? Or are you saying that the shipment might spend all of that time just sitting at customs?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Vendor

CITES Delays File
With so many question about the same delays I’m prompted to write a file to explain.
If it wasn’t in stock at HUSA before the rosewood ban went into effect 1/2/17, nothing more has come in. Not a single container has cleared the ports. I am told all the permitting is finalized but the ports are strangled with 1000’s of held containers and the ports are now the logjam. Which will quickly turn into the distributor being jammed when they get 4 months worth of shipments nearly all at once. Then every dealer will be the backlog when they dump 4 months worth of inventory in our laps basically all at once. And at this time I still have 2 weeks work in the tech line and around 65 sold guitars waiting to come in.

Since I wrote that 1 Japanese container came in.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 PM

I'm patient. Would rather buy from you than one of those big boxes...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Vendor

It definitely takes patience these days unless you find what you want in stock already somewhere. I'm just hoping they can get the procedure streamlined to where the goods are coming in on time again, they'll just have to start the process 3 months earlier.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Highly praised model? Ha..ha.. According to who?

As far as I know the nebula green seems to be lacking in sales. And I can see why. Personally I think it looks half done, I mean the back. I could've been stained darker. The orange one...not so bad, it'd be better with black hardware.

With ash body material and transparent finish all over the body I think it's kinda out of place compared to the RG line.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Canceled my MF order and purchased through Rich. Can't wait. Thanks!

Glen, keep the distractions to a minimum pls, Rich has an important order to fill. :P
jemsite and Cina like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Vendor

I had to start some CITES info on my site so I've been screwing around putting off the JS platinum ends I'm supposed to be doing. That said, back to the grindstone! Yours will be up eventually!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

LOL @Rush--21 , sorry unlike MF, Rich never lets work interfere with blowing hot air
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Vendor

Imagine how much work I could get done if I didn't have to constantly correct bonehead!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 PM

I'm curious to know what percentage of the total forum posts are you two bickering?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

too high a %

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode