Just toured the PRS factory... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Just toured the PRS factory...

Just got home from a 8+ hour drive from Maryland. The drive actually wasn't that bad, but I have to owe that to the "Magellan" my other guitarist let me borrow.

That thing is freakin sweet. G.P.S navigation. Its amazing. Full colorful map display,tells you how many miles to the next turn, how many miles for the trip, how long its gonna take you. You can search for the nearest anything from A.T.M's to gas stations to you name it. We easily drove around Baltimore and a lot of Maryland with absolutely no problem. Miss a turn, it re calculates its route to get you back on track. Just wonderful.

So anyway about the PRS factory. It was awesome. The guy who runs the accessories shop there, Drew, was just awesome. Took us through everything and gave a great tour. Even the workers were chiming in here and there willing to eduacate us on how they make their guitars.

They pay such incredible attention to detail. Its actually a VERY small factory. A lot smaller then I thought it would be. I would actually call it more of a "shop" then a factory.

They now have about 200 employees. Each worker has a very, very specific job. And really spends as much time needed to perfect what their doing. The shop was very clean, very organized. The operation was running very smoothly. And everyone seemed pretty cheerful. At least everyone I encountered.

As for them using CNC machines. I have seen first hand that they really only rely on machines for very basic tasks which actually, are better off being done by a machine! Basic cavity routing and shaping the violin shape into the tops, its all done so accurately. Then they hand do almost everything else. From the frets to tons and tons of hand-sanding and wet sanding. It really was very impressive.

Oh the racks of guitars I saw. They looked like candy!! I have pictures maybe I'll post somewhere with a link. I saw everything from the nicest Customs to Modern Eagles. We saw a double neck 6/12 string DRAGON!! It was insane!! I asked how much that guitar would sell for and he said somewhere between 25-40 grand. It really was a work of art.

But the cool thing is, really they put just as much love and care into their CE models as they did with that Dragon. Sure the Dragon needs more attention for the intricate inlay work, but quailty wise they are all held up to very high standards.

I also bought some VERY reasonably priced accessories. A sweater,poster,calender,lanyard. And I got a free T-shirt!! Awesome experience all around. I'am even more so proud to own one of their instruments. I actually grow more fond of it everyday.

Any questions feel free to ask. Like I said I'll post a link to pictures some point tommorrow. I still have 3 or 4 days left of vacation! Peace!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Re: Just toured the PRS factory...

Sweet... looking forward to the pictures!

Makes me feel good to hear that they really put that much time & attention into all the instruments... I got a copy of the PRS DVD a couple of years ago, which included interviews with Paul & the private stock team, a virtual factory tour, and demos of Paul playing pretty much every guitar they made, and I remember thinking after the video "Wow... either they really do put a lot of effort into everything they do OR they've just produced the world's biggest piece of marketing fluff." Glad to hear that it's more of the former than the latter.

I used to travel up to Baltimore about once a month on business, and I don't know why it never dawned on me to try to squeeze in a tour of the PRS factory. Hmmm... sounds like I might need to find a good excuse for a business trip. Then again, I'm sure I'd probably blow my entire budget on t-shirts & accessories, if not get arrested for trying to steal a doubleneck Dragon.

--B
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ibyrgd...dude/my_photos

There ya go. Im actually pretty upset I didn't take more. I was pretty overwhelmed at the time and was trying to take in everything at the moment.

Notice the Hard Rock Cafe's guitar! Its even got bird inlays!! It was so sweet. I never knew that existed. It makes sense of course but when I first saw it I was blown away. Pretty cool.

Im especially pissed I didn't photograph any of the Dragons or Private Stock guitars I saw. I actually saw 3 or 4 Dragons being worked on. They were being worked right along with all the other models.

We got a good laugh parking in Paul's parking space. I asked how often Paul was there and Drew said daily. Pretty much anyday hes not off on a business trip or something. To bad he wasn't there when I was. That would have been a trip!

I saw a good amount of Singlecuts as well!! We spoke of the lawsuit for a few minutes. Drew said if Gibson had won the lawsuit, it would have been "a very sad Christmas for everyone." He even said they wouldn't have a chance if they took it to the Supreme Court. Which he highly doubted they are going to do. I was surprised to hear that when the ruling to cease production of the Singlecuts first came about, they really had to stop THAT SECOND. There were many many Singlecuts that were stopped in every phase of construction. They were forced to store whatever they had 'Singlecut' untill a new ruling was decided. Its good to see they can now finish what they started!

Last edited by ChrisReedSmith; 10-27-2005 at 03:51 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 AM

This just yet again reminds me that I don't really want any other type of guitar...

I want a PRS.

I played my friends pre '95 PRS Custom 24 and its probably the nicest thing I've ever played.

Joe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Awesome, I own a PRS custom 22 and its a perfectly made guitar, they really put a lot of dedication into each instrument

Tags
double neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode