Just what sets a JPM apart? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Just what sets a JPM apart?

Did Petrucci do the same thing Vai did? They're not my style visually and look rather plain... are there some super awesome secrets under the surface?

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:22 PM

Well, I'll assume you're referring to the Ibanez JPM - if I'm wrong - sorry. However, plain is the last word I'd use to describe the way they look. Gaudy is how many folks refer to them with the Picasso design and all.

Other than its appearance, it is really a simple guitar. 3-way switch, some nice Dimarzios and the lo-pros and that's pretty much it. It has a nice neck shape, but that doesn't make it extraordinarily unique. The main thing that sets it apart for me is something very simple - the knob layout. I love having the switch out of the way and I prefer the 3-way toggle over the usual pickup switches. But other than that, nothing special under the surface.

Paul
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Well seeing as this was posted in the "Non-Ibanez brand" section, I'll assume it's to do with the EBMM JP model rather than the Ibanez JPM.

But if AlexBHome would clarify which Petrucci guitar he's on about it'd be cool and I or one of the other mods will make sure this topic ends up in the right place
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 AM

After playing the EBMM JPM, I think they really took it to the next level.

The piezo pick up is sweet, and the neck is awesome.

THe only thing I don't care for is the neck pup.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:19 AM

Jono makes a good point that this was posted in the non-Ibanez brand section. But what did Vai do with Ernie Ball or what do you mean that JP did the same thing as Vai? Sorry - I'm just confused as to what the question really is about.

If it's about the EB model, then the main differences between his older Ibanez models and the new EB models are #1 - the trem and #2 - the piezo addition. The Dimarzios have been hot-rodded a little more, but there isn't a huge difference. Output options are great for the piezo/magnetic PU's. You can go with two mono cables or with one stereo. The neck finish is awesome, but many have found the neck to be a little small. It's a little smaller than how I would custom make one, but it still plays very easily. The 7-string is by far my favorite - it's just perfect for me.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 5
a lot of stuff sets it apart.

* Cosmetically, the paint job is quite unusual. The big JP inlays are a bit different. The scoop on the lower bout is unusual also.

* In terms of play- it's not that unusual. It plays like any other EB/MM. Which means- if you like EB/MMs, then you'll like it. It has the trademark eeny-weeny tiny neck with the 3x3 tuner setup. It's got a pretty standard non-locking trem and DiMarzio pickups. So, if the question is What sets it apart from other EB/MM guitars, the answer is, the pickups and cosmetics. If the question is What sets it apart from Ibanez guitars, the answer is, cosmetics, and the neck profile.

The only warning I issue is that anyone with really big hands (such as myself) may experience cramps while playing on that tiny neck.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I must be blind, thanks for clarifying... I'm indeed referring to the Ibanez JPM. Never been good at filing, myself
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:38 AM

Quote:
with the 3x3 tuner setup.
The 6-string is actually 4+2 (7-string=5+2), as is the norm with EB/MMs
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome
I must be blind, thanks for clarifying... I'm indeed referring to the Ibanez JPM. Never been good at filing, myself
OK topic moved to the "Other Ibanez Guitars" forum
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:50 PM

6100 series frets as well, that, to me, makes a diff.

Bamm
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:05 PM

kinda sad, tho. i would have liked to had seen the JPM100 with a doulbe edge setup and a flip flop picasso. i would've gave well more than the EBMM to had that.

rich
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:23 PM

this question has proly been answerd but here goes...

so why did JP switch from ibanez to ernie ball?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:40 PM

Re: this question has proly been answerd but here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
so why did JP switch from ibanez to ernie ball?
Educated Guess #1: $$$$$$$$$$
Educated Guess #2: "My hero plays EB/MM...I want to be JUST LIKE HIM. I want it in blue too."
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Vendor

Educated Guess #3 : They're market a 6 and 7 string, I'll sell more guitars, and all my fans will buy the new model!

Educated Guess #4 : Camo was a mistake and they aren't selling, what was I thinking, maybe it's time to bail!

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 05:05 AM

Educated Guess #5: It's better to be a big fish in a small pond... higher clout means more say in the design (newly designed bridge w/ piezos, tweaked pickups, body design, etc.)

Educated Guess #6: Smaller company and production lines equal a higher quality guitar.

Educated Guess #7: At the very least it'll piss Kevan off to the degree that the subject will still get to him nearly two years later.

Tags
buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , double neck , ebmm jpm , ernie ball , feiten tuning system , headstock design , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , ibanez models , john petrucci , neck finish , neck pup , neck shape , pickup switch , production model , steve morse , tuning system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode