K7 fretboard replacement. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

K7 fretboard replacement.

Anyone experience with doing this. Any pics available of result?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Re: K7 fretboard replacement.

Why are you wanting to do this?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:27 PM

because of the inlay, would like to see it all plain :-)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM

woah, stop, ok its a little gawdy but hell once you play it you'll never notice it i think it looks quite cool now... i would think seriously about doing this as its a major undertaking which would most likely require you to take it to a luther which could get very expensive.

best thing to do is keep it and if anyone takes the piss out of you for having a korn guitar just pull out the shred licks and sweeps or hell even some awesome jazz lines, that'll shut em up anyway korn arent that bad :P
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post

best thing to do is keep it and if anyone takes the piss out of you for having a korn guitar just pull out the shred licks and sweeps or hell even some awesome jazz lines, that'll shut em up :P
wow! just right!
don't touch the inlays man. unless you're rich enuff to sell it later for $99 plus shipping.
rock on!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 6

If you really wanted you could remove the inlay and put in rosewood inlays or whatever the fretboard is made of in the space. It would at least make the inlay much less noticeable. Not sure how you'd go about doing it but i know it can be done.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
woah, stop, ok its a little gawdy but hell once you play it you'll never notice it i think it looks quite cool now... i would think seriously about doing this as its a major undertaking which would most likely require you to take it to a luther which could get very expensive.
The binding is only thing that worries me.

Last edited by Jemmm; 02-13-2007 at 04:25 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM

Cool Re: K7 fretboard replacement.

My opinion:
1) leave it as it is
2) put on another neck: Universe's , RG's, whatever
2) change the inlays with similar texture rosewood inlays + dye the whole fretboard in dark color
3) you may try to shave of a thin layer of fretboard at frets 11-13 and put a new thin veneer of similar texture rosewood + dye the whole fretboard in dark color

Anyway, I don't think it is worth to start modifying the guitar just because of the K-7 inlay, in my opinion it is quality guitar made of quality woods and such modifications will only reduce it's sound...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM

I hate that inlay too, but you might be better off selling it to a Korn fan or someone more tolerant of the inlays and getting yourself an RG1527 or some other 7 string that you like as-is. If you really want to try replacing the fretboard, go to projectguitar.com and look in the tutorials section. I don't recommend that you learn how to do this on a K7, but it's your axe. Good luck withwhatever you decide. Keep us posted!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyta View Post
My opinion:
1) leave it as it is
2) put on another neck: Universe's , RG's, whatever
2) change the inlays with similar texture rosewood inlays + dye the whole fretboard in dark color
3) you may try to shave of a thin layer of fretboard at frets 11-13 and put a new thin veneer of similar texture rosewood + dye the whole fretboard in dark color

Anyway, I don't think it is worth to start modifying the guitar just because of the K-7 inlay, in my opinion it is quality guitar made of quality woods and such modifications will only reduce it's sound...
Best bet is going with No. 2 IMHO.

Regards

André

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Had thought of turning K7 into something like this:

and/or this (right one):

Saw K7, and thought it would be good starting point.

Currently have JS-7, RGT-7, 540Pii-7 (540Pvii), and RG-8 Fanned in the works, so not very intimidated with replacing fretboard and binding.

I was interested hearing from people whom have done it. Cause just a new Ebony fretboard and a new binding are relative easy jobs.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm View Post

Currently have JS-7, RGT-7, 540Pii-7 (540Pvii), and RG-8 Fanned in the works, so not very intimidated with replacing fretboard and binding.

I was interested hearing from people whom have done it. Cause just a new Ebony fretboard and a new binding are relative easy jobs.
Pics!!!!

Btw, you want to take a K7, a $1000 guitar, and replace the body and fretboard!?!? That'll just leave the back of the neck lol!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Btw, you want to take a K7, a $1000 guitar, and replace the body and fretboard!?!? That'll just leave the back of the neck lol!
And the trem, pups, all hardware, and electronics. If going that route, I would have kept the mahogany K7 body (incl. the neck pup).

But as building a new mahogany RG-7 body is relative easy, I opted to buy some new body blanks today.

Here's pic of 540Pvii neck and body waiting for primer.

RG-8 body

JS-7, currently at painters getting her Candy Apple flame job.

RGT-7

Oh, and an Axxion type body I finished up for my brother.

Last edited by Jemmm; 02-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Nice projects man!!!!!!!
That 540pII 7 string is gonna be well cool.
What colour are you gonna' do that one?

It's gonna cost you a fortune in hardware dude.

You gonna' be doing any bodies or necks to sell at all ?

I'm pretty sure i'd take one of those 540-7 bodies if you were,and a neck possibly if the price was right.

Did you do all these by hand or have you got CNC gear ?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice projects man!!!!!!!
That 540pII 7 string is gonna be well cool.
What colour are you gonna' do that one?
The 540Pvii is gonna look like this:

But then with a tripple bucker set-up like this:

With a simple all black Ebony fretboard without the sharktooths or binding.

Quote:
It's gonna cost you a fortune in hardware dude.
Couple of OFR 7's and Lo Pro 7's laying around the house. I think for the two RG-7 I have in mind, I will get a TOM 7, ETS 7, or Kahler 7's. Just something different, I already have too many Tremolo equiped guitars. (On top of that, Ibanez is such a pain ($$$$) to deal with in relation to ordering parts.)

Quote:
You gonna' be doing any bodies or necks to sell at all ? I'm pretty sure i'd take one of those 540-7 bodies if you were, and a neck possibly if the price was right.
It's all hobby. No intention of selling any. I just want to create some awesome guitars.

Quote:
Did you do all these by hand or have you got CNC gear?
No CNC here. It's all done by hand, templates copied from real JS, RG, or 540Pii. That means lots and lots of elbow grease.
If you have to spec that out, it simply impossible.

Tags
alder body , ebony fretboard , mahogany body , neck pup , quilted maple , reverse headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode