K7 Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

K7 Question

I have a rather odd question regarding a K7 that my son wishes to purchase.

He is moving over from 6 to 7 string and he loves the K7 being a fan of Korn and 15 years old.

The guitar in question has not been used and is in mint condition and can be seen here http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G03764

The problem is, that it has a tone control, and all the others I have seen do not have one.

The lad selling it, says it was like that when he bought it in 2001 and it was one of the first to be made.

Any ideas why this should be ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Re: K7 Question

Looks legit, but the tone knob is kinda odd. I'm pretty sure the 2001 catalog features the K7 without a tone knob. Maybe the seller just installed one. Ask for the serial no. Many guys here can tell from the serial if it's real or not. If Rich sees this, maybe he'll shed more light
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Looks legit indeed, but no K-7 came with tone control so it has to been added by a previous owner. The placing looks a little bit 'off' too if you compare it with other RGs that do come with tone control.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Even if the tone control is a homemade install, it's still a good deal. But just in case, be prepared to have these modifications undone, as people sometimes get them wrong and mess up the tone of the guitar.

But the seller is misinformed:
1) these can still be found occasionally (NOS) usually going for 1400eur.
2) the successor model APEX1 is still in production (list 2090eur).

Also, don't expect to easily resell it if your son finds the seven string is too difficult. I know people (professionals even) who just couldn't deal with sevens and gave up within weeks.

Lastly, even at 1,90m & >100kg, I found the K7 too heavy for my liking. The RG shape is quite thick and combined with the mahogany this make the K7 quite a beast to lift.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Reviews: 4

Looks legit to me.
The tone knob appears to have been an aftermarket mod. Which is ok. But notice that the positioning of the knob is a bit "upwards", closer to the volume knob than on RG7s and UVs.

Anyone else agree? Mr Rich?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Even if the tone control is a homemade install, it's still a good deal. But just in case, be prepared to have these modifications undone, as people sometimes get them wrong and mess up the tone of the guitar.

But the seller is misinformed:
1) these can still be found occasionally (NOS) usually going for 1400eur.
2) the successor model APEX1 is still in production (list 2090eur).

Also, don't expect to easily resell it if your son finds the seven string is too difficult. I know people (professionals even) who just couldn't deal with sevens and gave up within weeks.

Lastly, even at 1,90m & >100kg, I found the K7 too heavy for my liking. The RG shape is quite thick and combined with the mahogany this make the K7 quite a beast to lift.
As others have said, the tone control is VERY likely to be an aftermarket modification rather than "pre production" or "1st run" difference. If done correctly, there'll be no problems if it's done incorrectly you may need to have a guitar shop sort things out.

Don't worry about the seller's information on the market, one man's rare and out of production is another man's unwanted and discontinued. I'd have to agree with the seller though, I think these are becoming increasingly hard to find, regardless of whether the sucessor is still available. (Think PMC vs 7VWH )

I'm a similar eight and weight to eviltwin and didn't have any problem with the weight of the guitar, but if the player is a slightly built 15 year old, it is something to consider.

Personally I'm a big fan of the guitar apart from the cosmetics, but I'm not a Korn fan. If yor son is a fan then this is very likely a great guitar for him. But ys, it will likely to be hard to sell on should his tastes change as there's apparently little market for these guitars and one that's likely to diminish further as Korn are no longer "flavour of the month"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Reviews: 15

You could also have a look at the RG1527. It's available in a very similar blue to the K7 and it's lighter in weight as the body is basswood rather than mahogany. They tend to go for around the 400 mark in good used condition with an original hard shell case.

Apologies for the off-topic reply.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the replies.

The lad with the guitar came down on the train and my lad had a go with it.

Fortunately he is a big lad (6 feet 4 and 17 stones) like me so the weight is not an issue.

He has wanted a seven string for a long time, and when he tried one out a few weeks ago he found it easy to play and absolutely loved it.

Given Korn are his favourite band (and have been for a couple of years) he is over the moon with the guitar.

We paid 550 for the guitar and it is absolutely mint, no scratches at all even on the back.

The lad selling it is insistent that it came with the tone control on it from new, and it was one of the first produced.

The thing is, there is no reason for him to lie, it wasn't a deal breaker or anything and the lad was completely truthful about everything else, so I guess it will remain a mystery how it got there.

Thanks again for all the replies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster-pasties View Post
Fortunately he is a big lad (6 feet 4 and 17 stones) like me so the weight is not an issue.
well, that's similar to my stature and I *did* think it was too heavy...I wouldn't dismiss it that easily.

It's an awesome guitar, but people do give up on 7s quite often, for one reason or another. Myself included, I contemplated a UV way back when ('92), but I didn't think it would work well while taking lessons, since they were very uncommon.

Tags
k7 tone , tone control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode