Kevan's USA flag guitar - Oooooh Purdy :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Kevan's USA flag guitar - Oooooh Purdy :)

I saw Kevan's array of Customs and at the end, a USA Flag guitar with what looked like chrome DiMarzios.

Come on Kevan, (or anyone else) gimme the scoop on this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:17 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

RG-USA1? *1 of 1? *DAMN nice axe! * Great story behind it too, but...that's Kevan's to tell. *
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:42 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

Sorry I didn't put this up earlier guys! *:-) *Here's more info on the J-Custom RG-USA1:

NOTE: *"RG-USA1", "RG-USA2" & "RG-USA3" are the model names *I* came up with for them. *There is no official name for these models according to Hoshino. *Also, these are not available from any dealer; don't bother asking.

As stated before, it's the only one made. *
There are two "sister" guitars: the RG-USA2, at Guitar Gallery in Orlando (It's 'stars part' is angled in the other direction), and the RG-USA3, who's paint makes it look like the stars and stripes were 'bolted' onto the face of the guitar. *I'll post pics of all three very soon. *I don't know if #3 is available, but I know that #2 is for sale from Guitar Gallery- $3999...I think.

The body on this one is airbrushed- all sides, cavities and the covers are painted to match. *The finish is a VERY thick satin finish. *It's not the normal few coats of clear; this is more like a shell over the body. *I really like the finish; it would be cool to see it on a production guitar. *

The hardware is chrome (not the new 'vintage silver'). *The knobs are the types usually found on the FGM's or S-series. *A nice change of pace; the rubber ring + metal knob combo makes them grip nicely when your hands are all sweaty from that 20-minute solo break. *

The pickups are indeed chrome (a la the JEM10's) in an H-S-H setup *From looking at the screwheads on the tops of the pickups, they do NOT appear to be the familiar ToneZone/AirNorton setup as found in most J-Customs. *I haven't checked the backs on these (yet), but I'm going to guess that they're Evolutions because that's what went into the JEM10's.

The neck seems to be a typical Wizard 2 with the volute. *The headstock is airbrushed to match the body and has that same satin/shell finish. *24 frets on a nice and tasty ebony board, with a sole inlay of offset abalone double-dots at the 12th fret. *No truss rod cover.*

Here's the kooky part: *on each of the cavity covers, and inside the neck joint, is Japanese writing. *Now, my Japanese is about as good as a North Korean chef's judgement at the Westminster Dog show...so I can't read it, but- it's like nothing I've ever seen. *Sources tell me that it's the luthiers "notes" on what finish/hardware/neck that this guitar is going to become. *It's pretty cool. *I'll post some pics of it.

There's a VERY funny story behind my acquistion of this one. *I'll check to make sure it's cool to post it. *It should give you a chuckle. *:-)

More pics coming soon! (I promise!)

P.S.- Many folks thought that this was a special "9.11.01" guitar from Ibanez. *It's not. *The serial number on the back of the headstock (F9754823) tells us so.
post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:16 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

couldn't find
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

#2 was not on display in Orlando as of 2/21 - I looked for it and noone there seemed to know anything about it. *Their high(er) end (usa, j-custom) inventory was pretty thin, which was disappointing. *Hopefully #2 found its way to someone who cares!

- Chris
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:12 AM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

As promised, some pics:

RG-USA1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * RG-USA2

RG-USA3

Now ya know.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:15 AM
site founder 0% owner

Kevan's USA flag guitar

#3 looks downright silly... like an old Dallas Texan's jersey.

Were all of these painted in Japan? The irony ...glen
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:39 AM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

I kinda like #3, looks like a WWII plane.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:40 AM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

I think Kevan's is by far the best looking of the three, but they're all great looking guitars.

Number 3 seems like it would have looked better if they had positioned the stripes so a white stripe was running behind the pickups, instead of the red. That way there would be more red visible on the front of the guitar.

Still, they're all cool. *

Bill
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:25 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

I like Kev's the best too, but I wouldn't turn any of them down.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Vendor

Kevan's USA flag guitar

I actually like the way the blue curves in on #2 a little better, but for the difference in price, I could live with #1 :thumbsup:
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:49 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

Now is that guitar a USA Custom, or a J Custom, or both?

I know it's made in Japan, hence the J, but it has an American flag on it, hence the USA. Damn, those guitars are a ripple in the Ibanez time/space continuum (sp?) :biggrin:
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:59 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

All three are J-Customs.
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Kevan's USA flag guitar

I like #2 for reasons Rich stated, followed by Kevs closely.

#3 i'd have made the guy repaint if i were in-charge at the JC shop. hehe...

not to start a production total debate, but wonder if any others were painted ...glen
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Kevan's USA flag guitar

To end any thoughts of a production total debate:
Quote:
Kevan on 7:42 pm on Feb. 25, 2002
As stated before, it's the only one made.

Tags
beautiful guitar , bob oakman , body shape , cavity cover , custom exotic wood , custom ibanez , custom shop , custom shop guitar , ebony board , ebony fretboard , evolution pickups , headstock design , hoshino usa , john petrucci , john petrucci model , neck joint , neck shape , petrucci model , prestige guitar , truss rod , truss rod cover , usa custom exotic wood , usa flag guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode