Kiesel Edition Vader (Carvin) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Kiesel Edition Vader (Carvin)

I thought instead of me picking most of the specs, it would make way more sense for Jeff to pick them because he is the master luthier with literally generations of experience. I just showed him some of my favorite tons and some of my least favorites, so he picked specs on that.

Some specs like the scale length, and fret size I locked in because those are more of a personal thing.

A few of my close friends that I have trusted over the years when it comes to taste in gear said that the Kiesel Edition guitars were easily on par with their pricier gear --- so I am really reallllllly excited for this build.

Here is a picture of the fretboard that was sent over today:

I will keep this updated as more pics roll in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Kiesel Edition Vader (Carvin)

I like the idea of the luthier choosing some of the specs, that's how I feel about the JEMS; who knows more about guitar playing than Steve Vai? So correspondingly who know more about guitar building than a master luthier?

Is that board stained or is it naturally that colour?

I'll be following this build and it'll be interesting to see whether Jeff picks the right construction for your tones, or if he misses completely.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Yeah exactly. I don't even like Vai tone that much but early 90s jems are my favorite for leads. Insanely liquid and most of my favorite musicians used them at some point. Death metal and UVs/Jems go hand in hand!

For this one I'm shooting for a more modern and aggressive tone. Kind of a Decapitated/Psycroptic deal.

I'm going to be doing a proper video with a friend of mine and the KSR/Vht setup to demo it too. He has a friedman now too so maybe we will use it as well
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I like the idea of the luthier choosing some of the specs, that's how I feel about the JEMS; who knows more about guitar playing than Steve Vai? So correspondingly who know more about guitar building than a master luthier?

Is that board stained or is it naturally that colour?

I'll be following this build and it'll be interesting to see whether Jeff picks the right construction for your tones, or if he misses completely.
It's stained. It's kind of a translucent stain so the fingerboard wood shows up.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yeah exactly. I don't even like Vai tone that much but early 90s jems are my favorite for leads. Insanely liquid and most of my favorite musicians used them at some point. Death metal and UVs/Jems go hand in hand!

For this one I'm shooting for a more modern and aggressive tone. Kind of a Decapitated/Psycroptic deal.

I'm going to be doing a proper video with a friend of mine and the KSR/Vht setup to demo it too. He has a friedman now too so maybe we will use it as well
got the Kiesel lithium pickups right?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 08:20 PM

I've never liked the Kiesel stained fretboards, they just look so weird to me.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 AM
SYL

Quote:
I thought instead of me picking most of the specs, it would make way more sense for Jeff to pick them because he is the master luthier with literally generations of experience.
Great Idea - and what a great marketing exercise - bespoke guitar design - someone who knows their stuff guides a customer to making a selection suited to their needs - i know custom shops have come and gone and some companies are still doing it in to a degree ( and charging the world for it) but this is great to see - cant wait for the finished product!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYL View Post
Great Idea - and what a great marketing exercise - bespoke guitar design - someone who knows their stuff guides a customer to making a selection suited to their needs - i know custom shops have come and gone and some companies are still doing it in to a degree ( and charging the world for it) but this is great to see - cant wait for the finished product!
Compared to a standard carvin build, the Kiesel editions get an upcharge of $2000 iirc. The upside is, Jeff Kiesel builds your guitar, selects some insane woods, does some insane flame or quilted tops and gives you an instrument that looks 100000 times better than most custom shops can offer... At a price that absolutely destroys other custom shops. For scope, a Kiesel edition will run you probably around 4-5000 bucks, but that same exact spec guitar, through a maker like ESP, would easily cost triple that.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 PM
SYL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Compared to a standard carvin build, the Kiesel editions get an upcharge of $2000 iirc. The upside is, Jeff Kiesel builds your guitar, selects some insane woods, does some insane flame or quilted tops and gives you an instrument that looks 100000 times better than most custom shops can offer... At a price that absolutely destroys other custom shops. For scope, a Kiesel edition will run you probably around 4-5000 bucks, but that same exact spec guitar, through a maker like ESP, would easily cost triple that.
I'm a big fan of the PRS Private Stock guitars...mainly as works of art...( some of those with amazing flames - on front, back and neck - just blow me away ). So if Jeff is doing something similar for 4-5K....i think he's on a winner!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
got the Kiesel lithium pickups right?
Yessir! They are very lundgren-esque so that should be perfect for this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
They look insane in person. I wasn't huge on them until I saw them at NAMM.

Quote:
Thank you, and yeah, it just makes so much more sense!

Quote:
I'm expecting this to be on par with some of the PRS PS I have had, we'll see how it ends up being.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the PRS Private Stock guitars...mainly as works of art...( some of those with amazing flames - on front, back and neck - just blow me away ). So if Jeff is doing something similar for 4-5K....i think he's on a winner!
Yeah they are good guitars. I've had 2 PRS Private Stocks before and they sound great, but the radius and necks were not from me. I'm expecting this to be of the same quality.

Last edited by Stealthtastic; 05-10-2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Yessir! They are very lundgren-esque so that should be perfect for this beast.

I'm expecting this to be on par with some of the PRS PS I have had, we'll see how it ends up being.
I'm curious about them, but I want the high output versions. I dunno, I just like High output stuff more, you can roll off the volume (with a decent pot) and clean up the sound pretty well, like the M22SD.

I would expect this to be better than a private stock, only because the face of the company is personally making it for you, and both Mark and Jeff sign the inside and number it for you. The PRS Private stocks don't have that iirc.

Speaking of a PRS private stock, there is a 10,000 USD one here... Brazilian rosewood
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
A few years ago Fender's master builder Yuri Shishkov built some Strats with dyed green fretboards and gold hardware and I thought those were pretty cool. Especially given that Yuri had built them. I'm not digging the Keisel's either though. But, not everyone wants a snakesking painted guitar either so whatever floats your boat

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I just can't get into it. I like my maple fretboards grungy and well played, and not stained.

Think how ****ty that will look once you start to wear through the finish.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Its not a normal stain. You can't wear through it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode