Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

...no, not the Moderne or Thunderbolt that may not exist, but the next closest thing.

That would be, for starters, a 1959 Les Paul Model, but not only that but the botched one that Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac used. Either from the factory or a later repairman, the neck pickup (first and last photos in link) was put in backwards making it sound a little like a Stratocaster when put in the middle position.

By putting the switch in the middle position of a two humbucker Gibson, you usually get some frequencies cut out allowing for a thinner sound overall, but if you have one of the pickups put in backwards, the resulting sound is so thin that it's as close to a Stratocaster that a non-tapped Gibson humbucker can sound when used in the middle position.

Peter Green would often play the same songs with his Stratocaster anyway and the solos would sound almost the same.

After Peter Green got it, it was sold to Gary Moore who used it like that and also with the neck pickup returned to its proper alignment, and at some point it was returned to its backward position again as in Kirk's photograph.

A regular '59 is hundreds of thousands but it's made many times more pricey by the ownership of two guitar greats and all the recordings from that one guitar. If used for Metallica on their next album it can become even that much more precious.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/101...l--video/51872

Note: Two main theories on getting the Green sound exist. First, which is the simple mod, is to take the neck pickup and turn it around. This does make the middle position somewhat brighter and does change it into a more Stratocaster like sound.

Secondly, besides simply twirling the pickup, you can also take the magnet in the pickup, by taking it apart, and twirling the magnet itself like in some DIY youtube videos. This also makes the middle position sound brighter but may damage the pickup if not done carefully.

With the aid of your two volume knobs on Les Paul, SG, or similar guitar, you can dial in that strat sound from either a twirled pickup or twirled magnet. Of course you can't sound exactly like a Stratocaster unless you have a single coil pickup but this is the best way other than putting in a coil-split switch or putting in an actual single coil pickup.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-05-2016 at 11:46 AM.
63Blazer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,186
Reviews: 120
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

He's had this for a while now, pretty sure it was early 2014 when he bought it.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:29 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 377
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Yeah, he has had it for a while now. There is video footage from That Metal Show of him talking about it. One good thing about him owning it is that he actually plays it live on stage when they play Whiskey in the Jar.

According to Guitar World.com, he apparently paid 2 Mill for it.

http://www.guitarworld.com/kirk-hamm...t-action/25904

Its a great looking guitar
Dutchie is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,604
Reviews: 10
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

2 million for a guitar?! you someone has too much money when...
doriangrey is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
2 million for a guitar?! you someone has too much money when...
It's a ton of money, but it will go up, way up. This is usually not the case consistently with any 1959 Les Paul as value can dip with economic hard times. But this guitar being owned now by three guitar legends, and with a large body of recorded work by Peter Green and Gary Moore puts it into its own category. It certainly won't hurt if Kirk puts down some tracks with this guitar and bring in a whole legion of Metallica/speed metal fans in on this un-Metallica like, sunburst Les Paul.

It's an instrument but as an investment being one of one it's recession proof. Only stuff like Pink Cadillac owned by Elvis, or Marilyn's famous white dress ($4.6 million), and such fare will always find a buyer who will pay top dollar, even when other antiques take a dive in tough times. In guitar speak, perhaps only a Beatles guitar or Hendrix guitar (white Woodstock Stratocaster) may be worth more money. But the grand prize in value goes to the $400 dollar Mexican Fender Stratocaster made nearly priceless ($4 or $5 million, or more) by the many rock royalty signatures on it for tsunami aid. http://quinaults.com/worlds-most-expensive-guitar.html It's always cool to get a guitar signed by a famous star, but 19 of them with the caliber that they achieved in music? This will never happen again unless you get a rock star who knows just about every rock star and then there happens to be a once in a century disaster to raise funds for.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.
63Blazer is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,589
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Nothing is recession proof. In a recession even the most desirable masterpieces take a dump. Even the filthy rich get pinched hard in a recession.
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: 60174
Posts: 99
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Jeeeeesuuus.

Do rich people really not understand the amazing good that $2 million can do? But instead, buy a guitar... a piece of wood and wires.

I mean, I always thought Kirk was a mediocre player, but now I just think he's a mediocre person, and that's me being way too nice. Such entitled waste. Napster bad, waste $2 million on a guitar, no biggie!

Gotta go download some Metallica to feel better now haha
aesthyrian is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:19 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 6,200
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Wait, this is a guitar forum, and we're complaining about people being wasteful by buying expensive guitars?

I don't care one way or the other - his money, he can do what he chooses with it.
Drew is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 377
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Wait, this is a guitar forum, and we're complaining about people being wasteful by buying expensive guitars?
Not only that, it's an Ibanez Jem site...

As you said though, its his money, he earned it and can spend on whatever he likes. I'd have a bunch of them if I could afford them or even one of them for that matter.
Dutchie is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: 60174
Posts: 99
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Wait, this is a guitar forum, and we're complaining about people being wasteful by buying expensive guitars?

I don't care one way or the other - his money, he can do what he chooses with it.
Not we, just me. I know I am an most likely the exception, but that's fine with me.

Meanwhile, seems like Metallica's team of lawyers is hard at "work" again.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/13...an-cover-band/

yeah, stuff like that is why Metallica is such a joke. I mean what the hell. It especially does not seem like decent human behavior either especially with the timing of Kirk's latest waste of money.

Shame on them.
aesthyrian is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Not only that, it's an Ibanez Jem site...

As you said though, its his money, he earned it and can spend on whatever he likes. I'd have a bunch of them if I could afford them or even one of them for that matter.
These aren't the type of guitar you can have a bunch of. ('59 Greenie and Gary Moore guitar).

What makes this guitar worth 2 million, or the tsunami relief Fender Stratocaster worth 3 or 4 million today is that there's just one of them. There's only one strat of any kind, Fender or otherwise (this one happens to be Mexican made and otherwise not worth a lot on its own) that has more than just a few signatures and it's the amount of signatures and from who for this particularly rare one. This probably won't ever happen again and by the time it does, many more classic rock royalty personnel will have moved on. Look at just who died in the last few months (BB King, Lemmy, Natalie Cole, David Bowie).

There's also just one white Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster and you can't quite put up a show equal to Woodstock nor find quite a pioneer like Jimi. There are quite a few burst Les Pauls out there but none I can think of that had two legends record so much on it making this THE Les Paul from the '58-'60 lot of bursts. The list of guitars this special that are considered truly unique and impossible to replace runs no more than a dozen, ever.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner...rs-ever-so-far

I couldn't see buying this guitar and would rather put better uses for the money. Kirk Hammett's wealth is probably in the tens of millions, if not way, way more so it's all relative. I think his movie memorabilia collection is worth more than his guitar collection and it's astounding what he has from horror flicks. His collection is so massive that he is known in the horror/sci-fi/fantasy community so much to the level that some don't know or care that he's in Metallica. If you think a guitar is a lot, I don't think the mask from Nightmare is exactly cheap, and neither is Dracula's first cape.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-13-2016 at 07:09 PM.
63Blazer is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post
Not we, just me. I know I am an most likely the exception, but that's fine with me.

Meanwhile, seems like Metallica's team of lawyers is hard at "work" again.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/13...an-cover-band/

yeah, stuff like that is why Metallica is such a joke. I mean what the hell. It especially does not seem like decent human behavior either especially with the timing of Kirk's latest waste of money.

Shame on them.
Shame on you for being ignorant about how the law works. If they don't defend their IP then it means it is harder to defend their IP in the future.
Stealthtastic is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,645
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

that is straight dumb. Guitars are just tools. they are wood and metal. Who gives a **** who owned the guitar before you. I could care less about that. I wish i could find an old original les paul, i'd sell it in a second.

I'll also never spend more than 2k on a guitar. I use to say i'd only ever spend 1500 but carvin changed my mind when i got a DC800.

He isn't that good a of guitar player either. I respect metallica for their success and how much influence they have but they aren't the greatest musicians in metal and never have been. They are certainly the most well known metal band.
j.arledge is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 377
Re: Kirk buys Gibson's Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
These aren't the type of guitar you can have a bunch of. ('59 Greenie and Gary Moore guitar).

What makes this guitar worth 2 million, or the tsunami relief Fender Stratocaster worth 3 or 4 million today is that there's just one of them. There's only one strat of any kind, Fender or otherwise (this one happens to be Mexican made and otherwise not worth a lot on its own) that has more than just a few signatures and it's the amount of signatures and from who for this particularly rare one. This probably won't ever happen again and by the time it does, many more classic rock royalty personnel will have moved on. Look at just who died in the last few months (BB King, Lemmy, Natalie Cole, David Bowie).

There's also just one white Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster and you can't quite put up a show equal to Woodstock nor find quite a pioneer like Jimi. There are quite a few burst Les Pauls out there but none I can think of that had two legends record so much on it making this THE Les Paul from the '58-'60 lot of bursts. The list of guitars this special that are considered truly unique and impossible to replace runs no more than a dozen, ever.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner...rs-ever-so-far

I couldn't see buying this guitar and would rather put better uses for the money. Kirk Hammett's wealth is probably in the tens of millions, if not way, way more so it's all relative. I think his movie memorabilia collection is worth more than his guitar collection and it's astounding what he has from horror flicks. His collection is so massive that he is known in the horror/sci-fi/fantasy community so much to the level that some don't know or care that he's in Metallica. If you think a guitar is a lot, I don't think the mask from Nightmare is exactly cheap, and neither is Dracula's first cape.
Clearly its impossible to own more than one of one guitar... I just meant that if I had the means, I'd have a bunch of Bursts guitars. That's not that impossible. There is a dude named Dirk Ziff (son of a billionaire) who is rumored to own nearly 300 of them ('58s '59s &'60s). If you have the money, nothings impossible

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vint...ollection.html

If you can afford it, why not. I doubt $2mill is bugger all to Kirk. I wouldn't pay that much for that one as I dont really care that much about its past. I liked GM, but not that much. Dont really care for PG though. I just like that guitar. Its beautiful.

There are other Burst with as good or even better history than this one. Jimmy Pages #1 was owned by Joe Walsh before he sold it to Page (for $500). Keith Richards old '59 has an incredible history. Everyone from Page, Clapton, Beck, Mick Taylor And a bunch of others have played and recorded with it. Plus, Keith recorded all those old classic Stones songs with it. Cant imagine what that would go for if it ever was put up for sale. The Joe Perry/Slash '59 was also owned briefly by Eric Johnson too. SRV's #1/first wife strat was previously owned by Christopher Cross too. Thats probably why SRV got it cheap

Like someone mentioned, its only wood and wire. Its amazing what people will/would pay for it though. Billy Gibbons turned down $5 mill from a Japanese collector for Pearly Gates a few years ago. Nick Mason (from Pink Floyd) turned down $50 Mill for his Ferrari 250 GTO in 2010 (that's just steal & rubber). Must be nice to be able to do that...

Again if I had the means (which I dont) I dont know how much I'd pay for EVH's original Frankenstein guitar, but I do know I would make the top of that list you posted...
Dutchie is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Clearly its impossible to own more than one of one guitar... I just meant that if I had the means, I'd have a bunch of Bursts guitars. That's not that impossible. There is a dude named Dirk Ziff (son of a billionaire) who is rumored to own nearly 300 of them ('58s '59s &'60s). If you have the money, nothings impossible

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vint...ollection.html

If you can afford it, why not. I doubt $2mill is bugger all to Kirk. I wouldn't pay that much for that one as I dont really care that much about its past. I liked GM, but not that much. Dont really care for PG though. I just like that guitar. Its beautiful.

There are other Burst with as good or even better history than this one. Jimmy Pages #1 was owned by Joe Walsh before he sold it to Page (for $500). Keith Richards old '59 has an incredible history. Everyone from Page, Clapton, Beck, Mick Taylor And a bunch of others have played and recorded with it. Plus, Keith recorded all those old classic Stones songs with it. Cant imagine what that would go for if it ever was put up for sale. The Joe Perry/Slash '59 was also owned briefly by Eric Johnson too. SRV's #1/first wife strat was previously owned by Christopher Cross too. Thats probably why SRV got it cheap

Like someone mentioned, its only wood and wire. Its amazing what people will/would pay for it though. Billy Gibbons turned down $5 mill from a Japanese collector for Pearly Gates a few years ago. Nick Mason (from Pink Floyd) turned down $50 Mill for his Ferrari 250 GTO in 2010 (that's just steal & rubber). Must be nice to be able to do that...

Again if I had the means (which I dont) I dont know how much I'd pay for EVH's original Frankenstein guitar, but I do know I would make the top of that list you posted...
Frankenstein would definitely bring in more than Greenie. Along with Metallica and Jimi Hendrix, I can't think of a guitar and its sound that influenced more guitar players than Eddie with it. Some songs were recorded on his yellow and black parts stray he built and modded Ibanez Destroyer, but Frakenstein is what Eddie is remembered for.

I still want to see the tsunami guitar more than any single guitar because the Hard Rock Cafe has made rock star guitars commonplace. The guitar also raised a further one million dollars and before recession it was valued at 4.2 million dollars. As we have seen in recent months, rock stars leave us at an alarming rate and there will probably never be a time again that such rock and roll royalty could ever be on one guitar again. Something tells me I wouldn't be as exited by a similar guitar signed by Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, and One Direction.

Just for kicks imagine what a single guitar signed by Sinatra, Elvis, Crosby, Buddy Holly, and Les Paul would be worth!
63Blazer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGD 6 of 6, a holy grail RG Version_6 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 19 01-25-2016 11:12 AM
The holy grail (For me anyway) MatiasTolkki All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 54 08-28-2013 11:26 AM
I have attained the holy grail WYLD STALLYNS All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 32 06-13-2013 11:53 PM
The holy grail !! shredmaster Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 10 03-15-2012 01:02 AM
FS: Holy Grail Reverb! spkenn5 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-24-2007 09:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome