Klein BF-96 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Klein BF-96

I just ordered a Klein BF-96 this week. Chambered swamp ash with Duncans (JB and Jazz) with steinberger S-trem. Honey Blonde (old tele look) with tortise shell pickguard. Expected to come over the summer. Uber psyched brohans!!!!!

If anyone hasnt played one (theyre rare) i strongly suggest trying one out. Its perhaps the ultimate instrument (very subjective but i love em). And Lorenzo German, who builds them, is a great man whos willing to talk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 AM
dex

I know Eric (babahi) is a big fan and he's played and owned most cool guitars out there so there must be something cool about them but I've never played one.
I couln't get onboard with Steinberger as they don't feel right to me.

ilia
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:51 PM

Re: Klein BF-96

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer096
I just ordered a Klein BF-96 this week (...) Expected to come over the summer
Wow, great ! Didn't know you could still get them - albeit custom made. Care to tell us how much they are going for ?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

o yea, you can still get em. Theyre each made one at a time, so i guess theyre all kinda custom made. im paying about 3800 including shipping, his prices are goin up tho in 2005.

addressing the feel issue. I find the Klein to be a significant departure from the steinberger feel. Its kinda odd at first but the ergonamic design is just incredible. its like a natural extension of your body after awhile. its even when sitting down, as the neck is at the ideal angle. The sound is out of this world too. and plus its great that it can fit in an overhead compartment on a plane.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:06 PM

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

Only the most amazing guitar I've ever player... I started out with a bunch of Steinbergers and ended up checking out Kleins. I can honestly say that you don't know what you've been missing until you pick up a Klein. It's like you never knew it could be so good. Two of my "serious musician" friends who have tried my Kleins have bought one as well.

Funny story: a little over a year ago I was in Japan, browsing a 2nd hand guitar store with a local friend. I came across a Klein and freaked! I already had one at home but had to pick it up -- they are pretty rare! My friend played it for the remaining two weeks I was there, commenting that it was unreal that any guitar could play like that. And the next time I came to Japan he had bought one himself.

I have a couple of Kleins now; one of them is the white one that was given to Allan Holdsworth as a gift from Klein, which he never even played...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Good god man!! A former axe of holdsworths!!!!! thatd be like holding the sword of God.

The instant i played one, i was shocked that one instrument could sound like an es-175 one instant, and a telecaster the next, then a superstrat the next. It was love at first touch. Im pretty much exclusively a jazz player now and everyone i show a picture to comments on how ugly they are. I think theyre great looking and the design out weighs any aesthetic shortcomings.

IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO PLAY A KLEIN, DO IT. its a life changing experience.

great to see another klein player.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 03:30 PM

Congrats on the great guitar, please post some pics when you get it.

I would love a klein, at the moment I am in a headless "phase" I am loving them all. Just got a GM4S by steinberger (even though its no match for these mighty beasts!)

In sort of non-related but none the less interesting "news" I just heard Carvin is going to be making Holdsworth a headless instrument of some kind, has anyone heard anything? If they do I may have to sell my body on the streets to pay back for the steinberger and get this new carvin!

Congrats on the great guitar, please post some pics when you get it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Oh believe you me, there will be pics aplenty!!

yea, ive heard rumours about the holdsworth headless model by carvin. Ive heard him mention that he hates headstocks so he probably got sick of seein that small one that the cavin has now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:35 AM

I heard something more along the line of him liking how the headless guitars balance when playing standing up...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
I heard something more along the line of him liking how the headless guitars balance when playing standing up...
Quite true, that's one of the ergonomic considerations that went into that aspect of the design. They figured there was no point in having that much weight on the end of the neck, especially when you could have all the bridge at the other end of the guitar where -- get this -- the big metal bridge assembly would add to the sustain, even in a double locking trem design!

So this way, the guitar hangs in the correct position by itself, allowing the player to put his entire energy into playing. IMO it certainly does make a difference.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 AM

Question Re: Klein BF-96

Hi spencer,

I fell in love with Kleins long ago after seeing Bill Frisell playing his BF-96. Congratulations, playing this guitar must be a real blast.
I've been a semi-professional player for 15 years now, and I'm on my way to eventually purchase one. I wrote Lorenzo German an e-mail to the address I found on Klein Electric website but got no answer so I was wondering if there's another address where I can contact him. May you please help on this?

Good vibes anyway!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM

I think it's near impossible (or at least very difficult) to order a new Klein electric. I think Spencer himself gave up on it after quite a fe substantial delays.

Keep trying though, it might be worth it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:29 AM

You're right, Lorenzo German seems to be unreachable from some time, and Klein Electric is not making guitars at the moment.

Hope he'll come back soon...

Tags
allan holdsworth , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode