koa ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

koa ibanez?

Does Ibanez use Koa wood in any of its guitars? I saw a picture of a koa ibanez here, http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/fi...ion-48252.html

I did a little searching, but couldn't find much info. I'd be pretty interested in a Koa Ibanez. If anyone has any information regarding that I'd appreciate it. I'm not really sure if I posted this in the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Gimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 AM

Re: koa ibanez?

they used it in the Reb Beach Voyager

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 AM

Obviously Reb's RBM2 was Koa. There were also two other electrics Ibanez made with Koa, limited run J-Custom RRG3 and a Prestige 2120-KKB. Both had mahogany bodies with flamed Koa tops. Here's a pic of those guitars including my Suhr Reb Beach NAMM 09.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 AM

RG2120 prestige KOA top, mahogany back. Japan market version, somewhere in 2000-2002.
various RG J custom with KOA top, mostly special / exclusive Japanese retailer model.
and finally...
RG 470 MII, with koa top, for 2009... but sadly for some people ( not me), it's still japan market only.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Some absolutely stunning axes there! Wow!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Those guitars look awesome. I'll have to keep my eye out for some used ones, but I'll bet they don't come up that often.

Thanks for the info
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Jimbo, beautiful guitars you got there, good taste!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 AM

I've always wondered what tonal properties Koa brings. I looked at getting a Koa Fender Strat once. Does it have a fattness like mahogany? or more bright like maple
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyOFG View Post
I've always wondered what tonal properties Koa brings. I looked at getting a Koa Fender Strat once. Does it have a fattness like mahogany? or more bright like maple
In general (very much in general).
Koa sounds a lot like mahogany but a bit brighter, a bit more high-end response.
It is also a bit heavier then mahogany, somewhere between mahogany and maple (soft).

It makes itself best as a top and not a complete body, in my opinion (like the RBM model, for example).

I have, for my personal taste, never played a Koa body or top that I really liked the way it sounded. This is a shame, because I really love the way it looks.

/Magnus
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 AM

I had the 2120K sold on e-bay last year, I think I sold it for around $1200USD...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo72 View Post
Obviously Reb's RBM2 was Koa. There were also two other electrics Ibanez made with Koa, limited run J-Custom RRG3 and a Prestige 2120-KKB. Both had mahogany bodies with flamed Koa tops. Here's a pic of those guitars including my Suhr Reb Beach NAMM 09.

that's awesome!

where da hee you get the flamed koa guitars???!!! warmoth? custom shop? pls let me know (send me p.m)

Last edited by g.milko; 11-14-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Tags
ibanez , koa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode