Korean Ibanezes - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Korean Ibanezes

What the groups current feeling towards Korean made Ibanezes on their own, not versus Japanese made Ibanezes. Do people like them as a whole or individual models (like the SZ series, whcih I have one and like after changing the pickups). Do they have something not up to snuff on them, like the pickups or is that something that's poor across the whole Ibanez line? of my 14 guitars, 2 are Korean (a RG450DX unmodded and a SZ520QM modded with Sperzels, a DiMarzio PAF Joe in the neck & a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge). I know against each other, the Korean models may not stack up, but on they're own, some models are very good. Any opinions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Korean Ibanezes

I haven't had much problem with them, I think they are generally pretty good for the money
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Most are very nice for the money. I think the hardware is a little cheaper. The electronics and the finish, like fretwork may bot be quite up to par. But for the money the Koreans are making great useable guitars.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Vendor

Korean guitars =
the frets are over leveled and not recrowned
the ends are over beveled so they don't have to be dressed
the neck profiles are not as comfortable [and no doubt intentionally]
the clear used on the necks is not silky
the finishes have plenty of blems [usually]
the hardware is also MIK and made from "Korean mystery metal" [as it's been called, it's just a cheaper spelter]
the electrics are "cheap"
the cut and fit of all parts is not bad though.
I've seen great players playing MIK and you'd think it was the finest guitar made.
I've seen hacks playing great expensive guitars and sound like crap.
Bottom line, the guitars are inferior, but it's the hands that play them that really matter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 PM

I agree with Rich in that it's all about who's playing the guitars. I would say for the money, the Korean-made Ibanez guitars are pretty good. The only real gripe that I have with the Korean guitars is that they aren't very uniform. On my RG370DX, there is a slight blemish on one of the inlays but the neck profile is FLAWLESS and everything else about the guitar is great. However, on my RG321 the neck feels different from my other Ibanez even though they SHOULD be more or less identical. I've also played tons of korean Ibanez guitars in local stores and at Guitar Center and I've run into at least 6 different feeling versions of the Wizard II neck. So my advice if you plan to buy a Korean Ibanez guitar would be to buy it from a store where you can test drive the guitar and judge for yourself if that is the one that you want because apparently no two feel the same.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 PM

agreed with rich final sentence
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:57 AM

i don't think the korean models are too shabby for the price, but definitely have their flaws, as mentioned above. but i think its stupid when people get really picky about guitars; if your technique is solid, you should be able to play on anything. who's really that amazing that they HAVE to play the best instuments, exclusively?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:40 PM

I just purchased an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul made at the Fuji-Gen factory, and while its a very nice guitar, the fretwork was not as good as that of my Korean Ibanez SZ models. The fretwork on my SZ720 and SZ2020 is perfect, while the Elitist has a few minor high spots on the 4th and 5th frets, and the fret ends are rough compared to the SZ models.

I had to replace the pickups in my 2004 SZ720, but otherwise it's outstanding in every way. With the exception of a sloppy jack installation, my SZ2020 is also an outstanding guitar.

The SZ neck profiles have a nice medium profile that I find comfortable, and that's a deal-breaker for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:13 AM

when i first saw & played the SZ2020, the Korean origin got me in a fix because i really love the playability & tone from this guitar but the price could've gotten me a Prestige Jap Ibanez easily. what won me over was the fact that it's a splendid guitar per se so i paid for it willingly. no regrets.

however, the Korean QC's consistency needs to be improved upon, i've been keeping track of the Korean Ibanez models WEF 2003 (the year that matters IMO, pertaining to Ibanez & Korea) & found that quality differences are quite marked between 2 identical models, implying that on certain days, over at the Korean plant, the inspectors do have their days off...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 AM

I have a korean made RG350DX in hand & it is serving me well. Not much problems with the quality of the neck & sound actually. Feels "shiok" to play it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Ive seen a korean bass...the neck was great!But the quality wasnt that good.All over the body I mean.Sound was ok.

Tags
dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf joe , dimarzio super distortion , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , korean guitar , les paul , paf joe , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode