Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Korean/ Japan made - what's the big diff?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Scott 74 
#1 ·
I know the Japanese made guitars come with the Edge trem and better pickups, but does the wood quality differ alot? How will a high end Korean compare with a low end Japanese made Ibanez?

#2 ·
Korean/ Japan made

I have a Japanese RG and a Korean one:
I think the wood quality is almost the same, but the Japanese one is better built (better routings, high-end wood-cut, better chamferings etc.).
The necks are almost the same in quality and crafting.
IMHO the p-ups are NOT SO different: ok, Japaneses might be better, but NOT SO better. Korean p-ups are very powerfull with plenty of harmonics and sustain!
The Korean bridge is kinda crappy! If you got one, NEVER touch the bar! You better watch out for a used Edge and slam it on (no routings required)!!
I've put a Lo-Pro Edge on my Korean 270, and dudes... it kick-asses!

Anyway, I think there's not an high-end Korean and a low-end Japanese. Koreans are all low-end, and Japaneses are all high-end.

(my $0.02)

nuno

#4 ·
Korean/ Japan made

Right, man

if you replace a TRS/Lo-TRS with an Edge/Lo-Pro Edge, you WON'T need any routing jobs!

I talk for experience: I replaced a TRS with a Lo-Pro Edge, and I hadn't routed anything!

The only thing I disliked, is that the TRS cavity is bigger than Lo-Pro's, and that looks a bit bad.

Trust me, NO routings at all.

nuno

#8 ·
Korean/ Japan made

I personally do not care for Korean Ibanez guitar. I owned a JS100 and ran into problems because of the craftsmanship and the Lo Trs trem. I can feel the difference in quality when I pick up a Japanese model. Now as far as an Edge trem fitting where a Lo Trs once was usually requires some routing. Personally I think Bloodyswirl has been lucky to fit 2 for 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.