Korean quality improvement - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Korean quality improvement

Yo.
Before I go on, I did a search for this topic and didn't really find anything about this (the closest I could find was something comparing them to the Japanese models in 2001 and I think the situation has changed since then).

I've played a bunch of Korean Ibanezes lately with the new trems and holy moley I was impressed. I've always held out to save the extra cash to get the Japanese ones, but now I'm confident enough in the quality of the Korean stuff that I'd be happy to own a bunch (provided I can try a few in the store of course, there will always be duds no matter what you're talking about). I played a sparkle-silver RG 370 the other day and the playability, pickups and everything were just so good for a guitar nudging the medium-to-high-edge-of-the-medium-price-bracket *LOL*

How do you guys feel about the quality of these instruments over the last year or two? Are Hoshino now going to have to outsource their lower-priced lines to Nauru or Tonga or something since the Korean stuff is starting to catch up? Or did I just luck out and find a store who set up all their guitars perfectly before putting them on the shelves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 11:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i see 51 matches for a simple search of korea quality. they're getting alot better, but lack resale value. Most here are not real excited about MIK ibanez axes. they have up and down fit and finish well below the MIJ models. Very playable but very ho-hum is how i'd call them. Your mileage will vary... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, good point about the resale value.

Most of the other topics were pretty outdated (and most weren't discussions about quality, but may have included mentions), given that the improvement is an ongoing thing.

I like their playability. Wonder if they last.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 11:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
they have a much improved ProEdge-II trem (over the TRS), but i don't think their quality has doubled or anything close in the last few years.

It's just that ibanez has shifted more production to Korea, given the guitar market segments and expected retail pricing... glen
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Vendor

It's improved dramatically with the upgrade of the trem alone, fit and finish have also improved. But they aren't making anything as good as a Prestige neck [or I should say a good Prestige neck, they're not all finished equal of course].

I ran across this the other day.

You know where. Samick obviously, and sweet, right up until you see the shot of the back of the haed, then notice the profile behind the nut.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 06:21 AM

I've already seen 3 MIK Ibanez necks turn to pretzels. I don't know if this is common in MIK Ibanezes (probably not), but it's enough to keep me buying only MIJ Ibanez.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
It's improved dramatically with the upgrade of the trem alone, fit and finish have also improved. But they aren't making anything as good as a Prestige neck [or I should say a good Prestige neck, they're not all finished equal of course].

I ran across this the other day.

You know where. Samick obviously, and sweet, right up until you see the shot of the back of the haed, then notice the profile behind the nut.
Do you thin that's a real wood finish...almost looks like that fake stuff. If it's real, it's certainly attractive...one piece figured maple neck.

On the whole I think MIK guitars are improving...but not sure about cathing up. It's gonna take some amazing quality to wean me off of MIJ.
Greg
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 11:01 AM

FWIW, I've got a Peavey Wolfgang, MIK, top-notch quality all the way thru. I actually like it better than my US-made Wolf I used to own.

I have no doubts about buying a MIK Ibanez in the future...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 11:26 AM

BTW, had a chance to visit the Ibanez booth at the guitar show on Saturday and played the Mushok model and an MIK S with the ZR trem. I was fairly impressed with the S...that trem is great...nice and smooth, and it really does work at fixing the bending/tuning issues. I'm not at all into the baritone thing, but the mushok was nice, had the neck volute...just not finished with the refinement of the MIJs.

Also saw Andy Timmons...played the first tune or two on his new Ibanez S (this one appeared to have block inlays), and then did the remainder of the show on his previous Rg-based model.
Greg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 12:53 AM

pshaw......

Here is my guitar timeline

MIM Fender strat, epi LEs Paul, Ibanez RG320QS, PEavey Wolfgang (USA) Jackson Soloist SL2h, Ibanez RG421

That Ibanez RG320QS was a FINE guitar. Nice quilted finish, the neck was straight, the TRS trem was set up RIGHT and stayed in tune fine! I wouldnt say there is ANY difference between the 421 i just sold, and the 320QS.

THE TRSII is considered [email protected]#it on this forum, but mine served me well after I learned how to tune it up and set it up right!

I learned my lesson after buying the PEavey and the Jackson. You dont need to spend crazy amounts on guitars to be happy. Going from the JAckson Soloist (1500$) to the 421 (500$) was easy. IT IS just wood and strings, and it all sounds fine to me.

Sometimes your paying too much for names and where guitars are made.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:33 PM

I've only had my Korean RGT42 for a couple days so I'm not going to give it a full comment until I've played it live for a few months and see how it sounds and holds up. However, I do own 2 other non-Ibanez, Korean guitars and they've been great for me over the last 6 years. Granted you may have to do some improvements like electronics and hardware but I got me a great piece of wood to work with and I really like them a lot. I understand resale value and what have you but I'm just a guy who keeps my stuff and not worry about things like resale value. I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla and I've been told it has poor resale value. Well I don't care about that because I'm just going to keep the car for 12-15 years until I need a new one. Same way I feel for my guitars. Now I do have a Japanese Talman from 1995 and that thing is the Bees Knees. I love that thing!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: Korean quality improvement

I play with my MIK rg7321 for about two years and I'm so in love with this guitar that now I don't want to play with nothing else...before that i had a second hand US made Fender and I was totaly unhappy with that guitar...so I don't care about the origin of the guitar...but after all if I could have a chance to buy rg7621 or rg15271 I won't miss it...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:03 PM

I have a 2005 RG370DX and I'd say that it's excellent quality. I'm really happy with the Edge 3 trem as well because it came perfectly set up out the box and it holds it tuning great. I haven't had to re-tune my guitar since my last string change which was about 3 weeks ago while I have to tune my other guitar that has a standard trem that I never use atleast once a week. I will give props to the MIJ Ibanez guitars because they are very nice instruments, but for me they're not necessary worth paying so much extra for. But I could definitely see myself getting one used...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 PM

I think the build quality, fit and finish of the current MIK guitars is excellent. Hoshino is confident in it enough to shift their Prestige models over to Korea. Where it is still lacking for me is in the fretwork, they just aren't there yet. I haven't tried the new MIK Prestige guitars, but the webmaster at Ibanezrules said in his NAM report that one of the prestiges had great fretwork, and the other was mediocre. So it may me hit or miss. But if you're willing to spend a couple hundred to get it set up right, you will be in the same league as the later MIJ models in my opinion.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026 View Post
That Ibanez RG320QS was a FINE guitar. Nice quilted finish, the neck was straight, the TRS trem was set up RIGHT and stayed in tune fine! I wouldnt say there is ANY difference between the 421 i just sold, and the 320QS.

THE TRSII is considered [email protected]#it on this forum, but mine served me well after I learned how to tune it up and set it up right!
Another proud owned of a RG320QS here! Same opinion, great tone out of that big chunck of mahogany once t

Tags
andy timmons , block inlays , epi les paul , fender strat , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jackson soloist , korean guitar , les paul , maple neck , peavey wolfgang , prestige guitar , prestige guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode