KORN setup? KORN sound? still trying - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:00 PM

From the first clip it sounds kinda like my problem (which is probably a scale-length or string guage problem) but not as bad as mine

As for the distorted sample, you've definitely got the early (fuzz/disortion pedal) Korn sound from their first album.

Without a big half/full-stack tube amp (Diezel, Hughs & Kettner, Mesa/Boogie Dual/Triple Rectifier/Road King, even Marshall, take your pick Korn's used them at some point) I don't think you'll get it perfectly. Darren had a good point that it has a lot to do with the two guitarists combining. While it sounds like a big wall of distorted sound, they're very good at picking different tones that work well together.

But overall, I think your tones are just way too solid-state/distortion pedal sounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 PM

i have the same problem...

The 7th string is constantly going in and out of tune when hitting it hard aswell.

Im thinking about getting a 27" neck which would probably help
post #18 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/apguitargset

there is a pretty cool software guitar tuner here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Softw...targsetup.html

if you set your recording device as the wave input, you can use my mp3 to get a reading on the tuner.

try it. it works
post #19 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 01:00 AM

Personally, I feel that no matter how much you tweak, you'll never get a sound exactly like your favorite recording.

Why? Because the typical music cd can have 2-4 tracks of guitars on it.. Double(Triple-Quad-etc) tracked guitars can sound massive all on their own.

I used a .060 for a low Ab once, hated it... It was far too 'boomy'.. I prefer a .056 for B(and Bb) or a .058 for drop A(and Ab) on my RG7620.. I'm not going for korn's sound, though.. I do play gallop riffs on the low string, and I have no problems with tension..
post #20 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 AM

As far as uneven pitch response, I'd say that you probably need to move up in string guage. I use a 60, and I'm tuned to B flat. Maybe a 65 would work. If you tune a string a couple of frets lower than whatever the standard pitch is for that guage, you can see that the shape of the vibration of the string changes. It gets slightly smaller, then larger. That affects the pitch stability. This is particularly true for the open notes.

The lower you tune, the more problems you'll have with intonation. Thicker strings will help, but what you really need is a longer scale length. If you don't have adequate scale, you'll have to compromise your intonation. If you think about it, you're tuning you're low string to the same note as the A string on a standard-tuned bass. Look at the difference in scale length between the two.

Chorus may help you to come closer to the tone that you want, but any professional CD that you listen to has lots of guitar tracks - at least two playing each part.

Don't give up. As you get used to playing in the lower tuning, your technique will adjust to what you're hearing. It gets better.
post #21 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:39 AM

Try using heavier strings and make sure your intonation is bang-on. Get a good-quality accurate tuner and follow Rich's intonation guide. Also make sure your pickups aren't too close to the strings.

I'm not sure what's causing that "beating" sound on your low string. It sounds like some kind of phase problem, but i'm not an audio engineer, so i can't really be more specific than that.

Overall, i find your tones to be far too buzzy and solid-state sounding, likely a result of the particular distortion you're choosing to use and the amount of gain. My philosophy is to use the amp gain as much as possible, then add a distortion pedal in tiny amounts just to enhance and slightly colour what i'm not hearing in the amp model alone.
post #22 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input. I have actually just gone back to standard B tuning, with D'Addario XL 10-56 gauge, and its sounding great.

All of what your saying could be right, perhaps my pickups were too close to the strings?

I am not sure, maybe if you detune to A from B, you might have to adjust the pickups to be further away from the strings?

has anyone ever heard of that?

but as for my sound now, it sounds great.

i've also just put new D'Addario strings on my Rg270, which is now in dropped C - also sounding AWESOME.

That little cheap korean mande thing is AWESOME

CGCFAD rocks!
post #23 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM

Filth...?
Well, at any rate, I love Korn , and there's a FEW (read-FEW) more on this board who dig 'em, too, but I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of agreement on that statement, Joshka.

Glad you're happy with your setup, tho.
post #24 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshka
I am not sure, maybe if you detune to A from B, you might have to adjust the pickups to be further away from the strings?

has anyone ever heard of that?
It wouldn't surprise me. When you lower the pitch, especially on guitars in that range, you lose a fair bit of tension, so pickups that are too close to the strings might "tug" on them a little more than normal, which could possibly give you an unstable sound and tuning difficulties.

The expanded string excursion on the lower-pitched strings also produces a lot more vibration in the pickup's magnetic field, so backing off the pickup a bit helps keep the signal from getting too hot and garbled.
post #25 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 PM
dex

Just want to add that the 3rd try on the recto sound clip was almost spot on.
There's this warmness and smootheness in Korn that just projects and it's the exact oposite to Metallica's tone which is what you sound like in that Phat.riff thing.
Just start doing it at 160bpm like Jaymz and it's like you are playing on the StAnger album.

Also keep in mind that not only Head and Munky guitar sounds intertwines but also there's huge rhythm section and the bass acts as a very solid background that makes everything sound even huger (made up a word ).

Try the 3rd setting with your neck humbucker or try rolling the tone off a bit but if you ask me you are never going to get real close even if you have the exact same equipment because what you hear from your stereo has been mixed, produced, EQ'd and tweeked to sound great on an average stereo with 5" speekers.

ilia
post #26 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
but I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of agreement on that statement, Joshka.
Wordwolf, which statement?
post #27 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Try the 3rd setting with your neck humbucker or try rolling the tone off a bit but if you ask me you are never going to get real close even if you have the exact same equipment because what you hear from your stereo has been mixed, produced, EQ'd and tweeked to sound great on an average stereo with 5" speekers.

ilia
I'm not sure that's true about their new album, maybe it's just my laptop, but it sounds like things are clipping all over that album...great songs IMHO, just sounds like it's clipping a lot...
post #28 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I like their sound frm the first 4 albums
post #29 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 AM
dex

I've only listened to Untouchables a few times and that was a year ago and still have not heard the new album.
I'll probably get it at some point but after the last one I'm not in a hurry to get the most recent one.

ilia
post #30 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 05:26 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but this is my idea of a decent 7string tone:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/toshiro77music.htm

Look for the clip titled 'Death-Thrash Metal Idea'..

(Warning, sorta big file for a clip, at 2meg)

B tuning, .056 low string, RG7620 using the bridge pickup(Evo7), J-Station -> Line in... Definitely flat the EQ if you play this clip, though..

Tags
addario strings , amp modeler , amp settings , beautiful guitar , boogie road king , bridge pickup , bridge pup , bridge saddles , chorus pedal , clean tone , combo amp , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , death metal , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio super distortion , distorted tone , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl powerball , ernie ball , fender strat , fret buzz , guage strings , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , johnson millenium , les paul , les pauls , locking bridge , low strings , lower strings , mahogany body , maple neck , markley blue steel , mesa boogie , mesa recto , neck humbucker , neck position , palm mute , piezo system , power amp , ron thal , schecter revenger , scooped mids , squier strat , string guage , string tension , super distortion , thrash metal , tone zone , triple rectifier , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode