KORN setup? KORN sound? still trying - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/toshiro77music.htm
"No web site is configured at this address."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/toshiro77music.htm
"No web site is configured at this address."
Strange... Link works fine for me. Soundclick might've had their servers down or something...

Uploaded the clip to DSP, anyway...

New link:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000015523.mp3
post #33 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 02:54 PM

I experienced something with my 2027
tuned to B with a 0.58 its muddy, doesnt sound low at all, just a "soup". the sound got better when I ditched my guitar processor for my laney. but still, if I drop the B to an A, its a blast! it sounds lower, more articulate even though the string is sloppier etc, etc. so I dont think an overly thick string is really good. or maybe is it just that low A works better than B for mahogany
post #34 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 03:30 PM

Man, I tune low as F##K and my sound doesn't warble. I dunno... I think Darren and I are on to something, because our philosophies seem pretty much the same. Down-tuned 7's, thick a$$ strings (Elixir .068. great sound. But I was fine with a .059 Daddario. I did my own setup, and I'm pretty good at it... maybe that's it?), processors with Rectifier-type amp sims, moderate gain, and only a TAD of a pedal. Seems to work great for him, and I know it works great for me. I'd say a thicker string for A, Joshka. Why Sam's sound was odd below B on his 2027 is beyond me... mine sounds great! But, if you're happy at B, then by all means!

BTW, the statement I meant about Korn, Joshka. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people who are Korn fans on this board. A few...
post #35 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
BTW, the statement I meant about Korn, Joshka. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people who are Korn fans on this board. A few...
I'm one
post #36 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 08:37 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
That shouldn't surprise you as if I had to get tablatures and learn them and practice 3 months to get even close to "For the love of god", I can just put any Korn tune on and start playing with them from the word "go".

To put it mildly, Korn tunes are not very challenging to the average guitar player.

ilia
post #37 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:31 AM

bah, jazz fusion is one intricate genre yet its not so moving nor touching for the average guitar player
post #38 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:31 AM

My K7 with Dean Markley 10-60 sounds exactly like Korns last 2 CDs...

Korn sound is filthy....try moderate gain, lots of bass, light picks and watch your right hand tehique..

With Korn sound if you palm mute the 7th string it sounds like crap, and makes bassy "ooomph" instead of death metal "chug".

Also the mahog and PAF7 gives you a slightly scooped and nasal mid range.

Flesh
post #39 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
bah, jazz fusion is one intricate genre yet its not so moving nor touching for the average guitar player
Depends on what you call an average guitar player...

When I started out, I only wanted to play metal.
Then I got into shred
Then I got into jazz fusion.

maybe it's got to do with getting older too
post #40 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshstue
Korn sound is filthy....try moderate gain, lots of bass, light picks and watch your right hand tehique..
Korn uses heavy picks, but yea, right hand technique is important. Pick kinda close to the bridge, very rarely palm mute, in fact, don't move your hand/arm much at all unless you plan on thumping the strings for a few chords
post #41 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Also if you can, check out Marshall JackHammer distortion...

I love it for this type of tone...

Very dirty, very Bassy but also very smooth..

Flesh
post #42 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

toshiro - that sound is really good
post #43 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:19 PM

gain

all the bands you guys are talking about you htink use high gain but barely use any. Dino of fear factory (used to be in i shoudl say) uses gain on 6.
post #44 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM

My setup gives me a really good approximation of the sound on the new Korn CD. I was listening to 'Right Now' in my car yeterday, and realized that the intro of that sounds really close to my sound.

My setup is an RG2027 with an Evo7 in the bridge into a 3 channel Dual Rectifier running through a Marshall 1960B 4x12. Like others have said, it's not the extreme gain that gives you the sound.. on my Red channel, I've got the Gain at about 1 o'clock. Bass is at 1 o'clock, Mid at 8o'clock, Treb at 12 o'clock, and Presence at around 10 o'clock..
post #45 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 01:16 PM

Hmm... going way out on a limb here... You didn't buy that 2027 from a guy named Drew who was in school up in Middlebury, VT, did you?

-D

Tags
addario strings , amp modeler , amp settings , beautiful guitar , boogie road king , bridge pickup , bridge pup , bridge saddles , chorus pedal , clean tone , combo amp , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , death metal , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio super distortion , distorted tone , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl powerball , ernie ball , fender strat , fret buzz , guage strings , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , johnson millenium , les paul , les pauls , locking bridge , low strings , lower strings , mahogany body , maple neck , markley blue steel , mesa boogie , mesa recto , neck humbucker , neck position , palm mute , piezo system , power amp , ron thal , schecter revenger , scooped mids , squier strat , string guage , string tension , super distortion , thrash metal , tone zone , triple rectifier , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode