KORN setup? KORN sound? still trying - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 03:10 PM

I did, as a matter of fact. I love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Drew, how did you guess that?
post #48 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 12:17 PM

Because I sold it to him.

Hahaha, self-pity aside, glad the guitar's treating you well. It's still one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever had the good fortune to play, much less own, and while I'm not a huge fan of the sound of mahogany, the Evo7 absolutely KILLED in the bridge of that thing. Overall, my 7620 sounds more "right" for me to my ears, but every once in a while i still find myself missing that thing. Anywa, didn't know you posted here- cool to run into you.

-D
post #49 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I only post every once in a while, but I'm usually lurking..

Anyway, yeah I love the sound of it, and the evo in the bridge is pretty killer. I've got a 7421 as well, with a Blaze II in the bridge, and I don't like the sound nearly as much. The 2027 just has soooo much more body to it. Must be the mahogany. Maybe I'll take the ToneZone that's in the neck position on the 2027, and put that in the bridge of the 7421.. see how that sounds.
post #50 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 01:56 PM

Yeah, a tone zone in basswood's a pretty sweet sound- through a marshall, it's got this very vocal, almost wah-like inflection to the midrange for leadwork. Idunno, it's tough to describe... but either way, it gives you a really thick, chunky rhythm tone on those lower strings, especially through that Dual of yours.

God only knows what it's doing with a TZ in the neck, though... I'm wondering if maybe the luthier screwed up?

-D
post #51 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 10:43 AM

Yeah, the TZ in the neck position is a little odd. I think I will take it out and put it in the bridge of the 7421. That'll be my project for the weekend. I wasn't sure how well it'd work for me, because I'm not a lead player at all, but I like the sound of "think chunky rhythm tone on those lower strings" so I'll give it a shot.
post #52 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 PM

Well, A tone zone into a mesa, at least in mahogany, is more or less instant Godsmack... That was my impression, anyway. Basswood should be a little more open, but still pretty cool. Let me know how it goes.

You're not *gasp* playing solos on my old guitar???!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!! that poor thing!!! lol

Seriously, if it's lack of ability and not lack of desire, drop me a line and i'll give you some stuff to work on. and if it's just lack of desire, well... hopeless case. Kidding, i listen to a lot of riff-based and groove-based music with minimal soloing too- i'm a huge tool fan

-D
post #53 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 04:51 PM

haha.. well your guitar seems to be pretty happy in it's new role providing the low-end crunch for my band.

When I was in high school, I was a HUGE Satriani fan, and spent hours learning his songs and solos.. but i lost interest in that (and guitar in general) and didn't pick one up for about 6 or 7 years. Now that i'm back into it, I haven't got any desire to solo anymore.. I just like playing songs with wicked riffs in my band.

-chris
post #54 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 PM

Drew said he's a huge tool... (fan). Heh heh... (jus' playin')

Yeah, he's right on that TZ/Mahogany Godsmack sound, tho. I have the TZ7 in my 2027, and it's definitely that same vibe. Good thing I like that sound! I'd say their sound is just a BIT more treble-y, however, and just a tad less mid-y, but pretty close overall. I think it's those Les Pauls.

BTW, Tool is a great band. What do you think about A Perfect Circle, Drew? That song 'Judith', wow! And they have a new single on the radio, about a drama queen, (sorry, don't know the title. I could Google it, but eh... I'm lazy) but at any rate, the song is fantastic.
post #55 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 02:34 AM

Wow, you're behind on A Perfect Circle, they've got a whole new album since Mer De Noms (the one "Judith" is on). It's called The Thirteenth Step, and it's friggin' amazing Very different from their first album though.
post #56 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:15 AM

sound

You're problem rests in with a few things. You have the guitar already, and you have their strings just make sure the guitar is setup correctly intonation wise etc. I think the big problem is the amp. Korn is using Mesa Boogie Road Kings for their sound as well as various effect pedals. You're not going to get that sound from a metal zone and many people have the same problem as you are. When you tune that low you don't need much gain at all, many bands don't put the gain past 4 on a numbered knob, or 1 o'clock max on mesa style. Keep in mind the pickups have a lot to do with it. Korn uses PAF's which have lower output as to not get muddy sounding, and have an overall warmth through the sound. Sound's like you'd gain a lot sound wise from changing pickups, and for korn sound dead on like you want look into a Mesa Recto.

just listened to your clip sounds like part of the problem is you're playing it wrong that doesn't sound right at all on that song.. off the top of my head I want to say it's open A and 7th fret on the d then for the last part it slides the 7 up to 8 and 9 on next 10 on next string. I have a ****ty Gio my bassists old guitar player left with him that's floppy/no tension what so ever, but I can get that thing to sound almost dead on even so that could be part of the problem.
post #57 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:26 AM

Keeping in mind in the past Korn's guitarists have used:

Guitars:
Ibanez UV
Ibanez RG-7 (basswood, long before PAF-7 was made)
Ibanez K-7
Ibanez S-7
Fender Strat (clean stuff on records mostly)
and now Munky's using a Gibson SG with P-90s for one or two songs live.

Effects:
too many to list, but used to use a custom-built Fuzz/Distortion pedal for a lot of stuff, and whammy, delay, chorus, flange, etc. very important.

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Road King (only on new album/tour)
Mesa/Boogie Triple Recto.
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto.
Hughs & Kettner (something or other)
Marshall (something or other)
Line6 Flextone II HD (Munky had one in his rig around "Follow The Leader")
and some random others in the studio I'm sure.

Still think the Road King and PAF-7 are the be-all-end-all of their tone?
post #58 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Rest assured you always like to start an argument... The point was he said he just saw them and their sound was KORN. That's what they are using on tour now, and I was just with the Mesa Boogie Rep all day thursday going over a bunch of bands setups. Trying to help the poor kid out here not frustrate him even more with all the **** they've ever used. They've been with Mesa for a good while now and there's a obvious reason for it (the sound) cause everybody pays for Mesa, even Petrucci.
post #59 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShredder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Rest assured you always like to start an argument... The point was he said he just saw them and their sound was KORN. That's what they are using on tour now, and I was just with the Mesa Boogie Rep all day thursday going over a bunch of bands setups. Trying to help the poor kid out here not frustrate him even more with all the stuff they've ever used. They've been with Mesa for a good while now and there's a obvious reason for it (the sound) cause everybody pays for Mesa, even Petrucci.
I'm not starting an arguement, my main point is: Ibanez 7-string --> Mesa/Boogie Dual/Triple Recto/Road King should do the trick, especially if you've got the right technique.

However, Korn sound like Korn through anything. I've seen clips of them in a guitar shop playing a Dean guitar (the one that looks like a half-explorer, half-Les Paul) into a cheap-o multi-effects unit and a small combo amp (Marshall I think) and they still sounded like Korn.

Pay close attention to their technique, there's not many that play like they do. But for that huge tone to back up the technique: Mesa stacks, Ibanez guitars, and lots of 'em
post #60 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:39 AM

Hey...whatever happened to finding your own tone?

Tags
addario strings , amp modeler , amp settings , beautiful guitar , boogie road king , bridge pickup , bridge pup , bridge saddles , chorus pedal , clean tone , combo amp , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , death metal , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio super distortion , distorted tone , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl powerball , ernie ball , fender strat , fret buzz , guage strings , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , johnson millenium , les paul , les pauls , locking bridge , low strings , lower strings , mahogany body , maple neck , markley blue steel , mesa boogie , mesa recto , neck humbucker , neck position , palm mute , piezo system , power amp , ron thal , schecter revenger , scooped mids , squier strat , string guage , string tension , super distortion , thrash metal , tone zone , triple rectifier , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode