KORN setup? KORN sound? still trying - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 AM

yea

right on.... Also Just a note Petrucci is now using Road Kings for distortion and Lone Stars for his clean tone according to the Mesa guy. very cool amp...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
bah, jazz fusion is one intricate genre yet its not so moving nor touching for the average guitar player
Depends on what you call an average guitar player...

When I started out, I only wanted to play metal.
Then I got into shred
Then I got into jazz fusion.

maybe it's got to do with getting older too
getting older? one among many explanations. but it doesnt always work.
t'es francophone dis moi?!
post #63 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot
Hey...whatever happened to finding your own tone?

Yes, back to original topic!

FYI:
I put on '74 string on my 2027, with a 10-52 and that finally did it for me.
Tuned A-D-G-C-F-A-D.
I' tried 59 & 66 on the 7th string and they went very bow-wow, and wasn't working at all. I am hitting strings pretty hard so I' got to go with the 74.

Try that, and good luck finding your tone

Tony
post #64 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShredder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Keeping in mind in the past Korn's guitarists have used:
Still think the Road King and PAF-7 are the be-all-end-all of their tone?
Trying to help the poor kid out here not frustrate him even more with all the stuff they've ever used.
I'd hardly say telling him to buy a $1500 guitar and a $2500 head is going to be any less frustrating than pointing out that through all the different gear they've ever used, Korn still sounds like Korn.

wordwolf- actually, i have yet to grab either Perfect Circle CD's. I've liked the singles I've heard, but while it's reminiscent of tool, it's a totally different beast. APC strikes me as a bit more groove-oriented, while Tool is more polyrhythmic and textural. I read an interview with Maynard once where he was quoted as saying that Tool was his "feminine" side, while APC was the "masculine" one... I'm not sure how that relates, but worth noting. Either way, AEnema is one of the lyrically most brilliant CD's i've ever heard, and maynard's a frickin' genius.

-D
post #65 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I read an interview with Maynard once where he was quoted as saying that Tool was his "feminine" side, while APC was the "masculine" one...
It's actually the other way around.
post #66 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I read an interview with Maynard once where he was quoted as saying that Tool was his "feminine" side, while APC was the "masculine" one...
It's actually the other way around.
I was gonna say, something doesn't seem right there, especially comparing, say, "Ticks and Leeches" to "3 Libras" or anything on the new album.
post #67 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:30 AM

Very cool, Drew. Yeah, Tool is more complex, more the "album" type, where APC seems to be more "radio" and single-friendly.

I'm glad you guys pointed out the masculine/feminine thing, though. I was gonna post something, until I read what you guys wrote, Bucket and Two hands, asking about that. Because Tool seems to fit that stereotyped idea of methodical/masculine/intellctual mold better than APC, which seems more organic/feminine/emotional. Drew's left/right dyslexic like me I bet, getting his mix all talked up!

Two hands, whatever that new single is, it's from the new APC album. I know Judith is older. Just comparing how much I liked these radio singles. That new song grows on you!
post #68 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 12:22 PM

haha, well, to the best of my knowledge I'm not dyslexic, or if i am only VERY slightly, but I am completely aedirectional. I mean, I've got a great "sense" of direction, but when it comes to tying that to names... When i'm driving or giving driving directions, it's always, "ok, turn to your side of the car" not "take a left," because i'm one of those "which left?" types. So, yeah, you're probably right... Eh, they're just words.

I'll have to add APC to my list of CD's to buy. i guess they passed through providence on tour like a month or two ago- i only heard about it a day or two prior, or i might have gone.

Isn't James Iha, formerly of the Smashing Pumpkins, playing with them now?

-D
post #69 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Yep, James Iha's in there, and they've got Manson's old bassist on bass now

And I think the single you're talking about is "The Outsider".

Singles I can remember at the moment:

From Mer De Noms:
Judith
3 Libras

From Thirteenth Step:
Weak and Powerless
The Outsider
post #70 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Drew - I'm totally the same way with left/right. "Your OTHER right, dumba$$!" If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard that. When I was a kid, the pledge of allegiance was terrible! Fortunately (I think. ) I cut my finger on my left hand real good, and got a whompin' scar there. When we had to stand, I'd always feel both my middle finger finger tips, 'cause I knew the scar was on the left, so, that made the non-scar the RIGHT hand for the pledge!

Two Hands - thanks, that's pobably it. Maynard sings about a drama queen who's suicidal, or at least threatens it, and he's like, If you're going to pull the trigger, do it someplace far from here. I love that!

APC got rid of Paz? Trip! I thought it was so cool they had a female bass player (like White Zombie used to. Sean Yseult. YUM! I had the biggest crush on here back in the day. I remember seeing them live, and she was looking right at me while they played Thunderkiss 65. She wanted me! (Yeah, dream on! )
post #71 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:38 AM

Yep, checked the CD, and it's definitely "The Outsider" off their new CD.

Paz was with Zwan before they broke up, now I'm not sure what she's doing. All I know is, APC's new bassist is really good (but I doubt he can play violin like Paz could )
post #72 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:50 AM

post #73 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:20 AM

For me that wasn't really a problem, as i got in the habit of using a certian side for that.

However... You know that trick where you make L's with your pointer finger and thumb, and the one that's a regular, forward L is your left hand? I gave up on that. I could never remember which one was the correct L, and which one was backwards.

Strange diversion for a thread on how to nail Korn's tones, no?

-D
post #74 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:16 PM

I've had the same problems as everyone else when tuning a 60 down to A. I don't do it for the Korn sound, though. For me it's all about Nile, which is much worse to try and emulate . Like them, I'm doing it on a regular 6-string guitar.

The guitar has to be set-up for this. For such a big, floppy string, the nut slot has to be widened and set higher, otherwise you'll be doomed to constant buzzing and out-of-tune string attacks. The bridge saddle also has to be raised, and obviously reintonated. Also, the player has to get used to playing on such a low string. You just can't hit it like a standard tuned guitar and expect it to stay in tune. Learn to pull the string, bend the neck, etc. in real time while playing, especially if you're gonna attack the string hard. From there, it's nothing but fun riffage and headbanging .

Okay, I'm done stating what most people have already stated.
post #75 of 170 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
You just can't hit it like a standard tuned guitar and expect it to stay in tune. Learn to pull the string, bend the neck, etc. in real time while playing, especially if you're gonna attack the string hard.
That's actually interesting advice, and something I've sorta noticed myself doing a bit without quite knowing why... I always just thought I was doing it for a vibrato, but... I'll grab my 7 when I get home tonight and start paying attention to what my hands are doing when i'm picking.

-D

Tags
addario strings , amp modeler , amp settings , beautiful guitar , boogie road king , bridge pickup , bridge pup , bridge saddles , chorus pedal , clean tone , combo amp , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , death metal , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio super distortion , distorted tone , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl powerball , ernie ball , fender strat , fret buzz , guage strings , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , johnson millenium , les paul , les pauls , locking bridge , low strings , lower strings , mahogany body , maple neck , markley blue steel , mesa boogie , mesa recto , neck humbucker , neck position , palm mute , piezo system , power amp , ron thal , schecter revenger , scooped mids , squier strat , string guage , string tension , super distortion , thrash metal , tone zone , triple rectifier , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode