LA Custom Shop 7 Auction - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

LA Custom Shop 7 Auction

Check out auction 3718676703. Pretty interesting piece. I'm not big into cherry sunburst but if I were in the market for a Universe, I'd be very tempted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:12 AM

That's a very reasonable price.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:51 AM

A couple of things strike me as "not quite right" on that one.

1. Aren't LA Custom Shop serial numbers stamped into the wood of the headstock? That serial number looks like it was applied with one of those electronic label makers.

2. LA Custom Shop models don't usually have scarf joints, the stock black Ibanez headstock with the swoosh, chrome logo and "RG Series" marker.

My guess is it's a 7620 with an aftermarket body, HSH pickups and a fake serial number label. Not a bad price for what it is, but i don't think it's an LACS model.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:15 PM

I agree with Darren. Probably started out as a 7620 form 99 or something. Although Dave Weiner's orange LACS has thet same kind of serial # sticker. Curious. It would be helpful if the seller posted who it was made for etc...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Vendor

Looks like LACS to me. They've used decals, stickers, and wood impression to mark serial numbers. The maple capped body without arm contour is typical of bodies made in LA, no vacumn former there
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 06:07 PM

Reviews: 1
I emailed the seller. Body is mahogany. He said he recieved the guitar in trade from someone who obviously wasnt the person it was made for. He has no info as to the original owner.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:21 PM

I dunno... it still looks like a 7620 with a custom body to me.

I mean, who would custom-order a cherry sunburst body with powder cosmo hardware?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
it still looks like a 7620 with a custom body to me.

I mean, who would custom-order a cherry sunburst body with powder cosmo hardware?
Looks like a custom body? LACS makes custom bodies. Maybe the only thing custom is the body being semihollow?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:
1. Aren't LA Custom Shop serial numbers stamped into the wood of the headstock? That serial number looks like it was applied with one of those electronic label makers.
actually, my David Fiuczynski LACS S7 has that same printed-on-paper, "LA" plus mo/day/yr serial number. however, it's under an assload of clear coat, kind of like that Dino LACS neck that someone (LGM?) sanded down to mate with a custom body for a jemsiter.

Quote:
2. LA Custom Shop models don't usually have scarf joints, the stock black Ibanez headstock with the swoosh, chrome logo and "RG Series" marker.
exactly -- that is obviously a stock RG7 neck. my Fuze LACS is neck-thru, so i can't compare specifics on how LACS bolt-on necks are different, but at the least you'd expect the LACS necks to be multiple pieces of maple with the volute at the locking nut screw holes, like the prestige necks. the neck on that ebay guitar even says "RG Series" near the point of the headstock.

Quote:
My guess is it's a 7620 with an aftermarket body, HSH pickups and a fake serial number label.
i wouldn't go that far, but the neck is certainly not very custom. maybe it was built for a low-level endorsee or something?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Vendor

Or maybe it was built for somebody that wanted a neck like on his 7620 but with the maple capped bound body. Don't think LACS doesn't have a nice selection of MIJ parts lying around to use how they wish
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:25 AM

I think Rich is correct...looks like an RG-7 neck was mated with the custom body at the shop, which justifies the LACS serial number.

I was the guy who contracted the LGM work on the dino neck customized body guitar. Same type serial number on that neck, printed on paper but under a load of clear coat. That neck was more typical of the LACS 7 string necks that I've seen, bubinga stripe all the way through the head stock, no scarf joint and no volute. Mark DY is the current owner here on the forum, unless he's passed it on.

Tags
clear coat , cosmo hardware , custom shop , darren wilson , dave weiner , locking nut , prestige necks , scarf joint , string necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode