Late NGD: Gibson Les Paul 1960 classic - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 39
Late NGD: Gibson Les Paul 1960 classic

So after I saw Peties NGD thread it reminded me I needed to post a NGD thread of my own! This wonderful axe I have used off and on for a long time and often drooled over more than any other LP (yep - even the $$$$ ones). I've used it on a bunch of recordings, especially now that I de-waxed the pickups and it sounds ESPECIALLY tasty!

It's a honey burst 1960. One of the early classics (thin period correct nitro finish, un-chambered body, ABR-1 bridge...the works). This particular guitar was once a gold top and he didn't like it (he wanted a big flame top so he had gibson re-do it and it so happened it was the PERFECT guitar for me!) so there is sat on his wall collecting 3-6 packs of cigarrette smoke a day for years and years, seeing little play time. This is why all the binding, plastic and metal is now yellow and bronze. The lacquer is also starting to check like a 40+ year old LP would (even though its only 13 years old).

It is very hard to capture it's color with it's subtle flame in various parts of the maple cap, so i'll leave you with some shoddy cell pics for now:

Again, the color is hard to capture. The back is darker and more red. I'll try and get better pics tommorrow.

And the lacquer is aging beautifully and adds such amazing tone to the guitar. Again, hard to capture with the cell camera, you kinda have to see it.

Last edited by SonicProvocateur; 05-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Late NGD: Gibson Les Paul 1960 classic

Nice guitar but who is "he" that had it refinished by Gibson?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Late NGD: Gibson Les Paul 1960 classic

Don Wakely. Prior to the Historic shop being open they did do refinishing and repairs (still do I think), but it's high priced work and takes forever to get your guitar back.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for being late one the pics (working like crazy!) I took the LP down to the lake with my fiance and snapped some day shots so you can see the color better and the fade on the nitro. Also the inlays aren't actually as green as the first pics show (again, cell camera pics and filters ). This is an awesome classic!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM

i love the plain tops as much as i love the flamey ones.... i would love to try out a sixties neck. i have a 50's neck on mine and i dont mind it at all....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 13

Love this, i bet its super heavey though! Great buy!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it is. It weighs in at 9+ pounds.

I did a shootout against my buddy's GORGEOUS R9 last night and the similarities are about dead on with mine having more push and breakup but less clarity on the bridge, but much nicer overtones and sweeter on the neck. The R9 took the cake on the bridge position but the sounds were similar. It could be that I have 300/500 pots and ceramic caps and his are the 500/500 pots and the bumblebee repros. The R9's neck was far too mushy compared to mine, and the alnico II sag is just too much and not bright enough. It's kinda like the pickups were switched on both. The R9 was also a good pound+ lighter with thinner fretwork.

That said - the neck on mine is very slim and flat. Straight mid 60's and his R9 is just a good bit beefier and rounder, but super playable in my hands - unlike R8's to me. Both are fantastic. It's the sound of rock and roll.

Tags
gibson , les paul , les paul classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode