Late to the ZR trem party - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Late to the ZR trem party

I played an S520? (black one, black emg-looking pickups) and I really liked the ZR. I am surprised these aren't more popular; it's pretty cool.

Anyone here have any long term ZR trem experience?

Ibanez could stand to make more of these, MIJ preferably. *cough*S7420 w/ ZR *cough*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 PM

Re: Late to the ZR trem party

I liked the ZR a lot too after playing an S470 in a store for a bit, but, like you, I have no long-term experience with those. If I was to buy a new Ibanez these days, it would either be the S470 (because of the trem), the SZ320, or an AR300.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:22 AM

Well, it looks like ill have to set you fellas straight.
I Bought the S470QMDX about 3 or 4 months ago and after a lot of love and excessive whammy use, the arm started to wobble. i researched heaps mainly on this forum but eventually when i took it to a repairer, it turned out to be the nut that sits just below the arm holder. so when it starts to wobble, you simple slacken the strings slightly, raise the crap out of the bridge (somewhere in there taking the springs off, cant remember) and tighten it with a standard wrench. apart from this small design flaw, i love this trem. It stays in tune really well, even with lots of divebombing and raising of pitch, also it is very smooth and a pleasure to use. I think it kills the sustain a little though, although it might also be due to the sheer thin size of the sabre. well thats all from me.
Peace out.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:37 AM

I'm loving my ZR so far after about 4 months. Smooth action and very stable. I haven't had a problem with sustain, sure it's no les paul but it lasts as long as I can ever see myself needing it to last.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
I played an S520? (black one, black emg-looking pickups) and I really liked the ZR. I am surprised these aren't more popular; it's pretty cool.

Anyone here have any long term ZR trem experience?

Ibanez could stand to make more of these, MIJ preferably. *cough*S7420 w/ ZR *cough*
looks like you played the S520 alright, the EMG-like pickups are actually passive, covered INF humbuckers, which sounded more pleasant than the uncovered version IMO.

although i am an S-series fan & that the ZR vibrato bridge is stellar, it adds on weight to the guitar. if you ever come across the Lo-Pro/ Edge equipped S-models, you'd feel the difference in weight. some people find the weight issue acceptable but it's not what the S-series is all about...

too late, Ibanez has moved the S-series to the Korean factory, even the Prestige models.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM

thats messed up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 PM

I've had my S470DXQM CN for about a month or so now, and I couldn't be happier. The ZR trem is a godsend, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really like the bodyshape, it's comfortable. And the weight is very pleasant IMO. I haven't tried the Lo-Pro and the Edge equipped ones, so I can't compare the weight difference.

I still get excited when i see the QM top on my guitar... Gotta love those quilted maple tops!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweRocker
I still get excited when i see the QM top on my guitar... Gotta love those quilted maple tops!
Is it just a thin veneer or is it a photo quilt top?

Tags
arm holder , les paul , quilted maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode