Les Paul 50's neck vs. Fender/ JS necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Les Paul 50's neck vs. Fender/ JS necks

I have not played a Les paul guitar, but I am thinking about getting one as a back up to my Ibanez Js

Can anyone tell me what a 50's LP neck feels like compared to a fender or Js neck?? If a JS neck plays very easy for me, how will a 50's LP play?

What is the radius on the LP's? And are you stuck with the humbucker sound on a LP standard, meaning that you can't get a single coil tone?

I am eyeing a Les Paul standard limited edition.......but it has a 50's neck on it, and i'm not sure if that will even be close to the feeling of my JS neck.

Or am I better off with a Les Paul with the 60's neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 AM

Re: Les Paul 50's neck vs. Fender/ JS necks

57, 58, and 59 neck profiles are all a bit thicker than just about any Jem or JS model. Think deep "D" shape. 57 and 59 are considered "big" by most guitar players and the 58 is the biggest of all. 60 is the year Gibson switched to the Slim Taper neck and the reason why Les Paul Classics (modeled after a 1960 roughly) will have some of the slimmest Les Paul necks you will see. Later in the 60's the necks got thicker again as the SG and Les Paul lines diverged.

Also remember the fretboard radius on an older Gibson will be flatter than the typical Fender American Strat of the same period or the compound of the JS.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Last edited by eelblack2; 10-19-2005 at 01:52 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:31 AM

Totally agree with last post - the '50s big neck is a beauty, and while it feels big at first it is incredibly comfortable when you get used to it - only thing is you MAY start to find the more modern Ibanez profile just feels too insubstantial after a while - if you are looking for a Les Paul closer in feel to a JEM, go for the 60's profile, I'm pretty sure the Les Paul Classic also has this profile, but they looka bit ho-hum compared to the flametop Standards, and you get a nice thick poly finish on the classic, compared to nitrocellulose lacquer on the Standards.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM

And you'll have to install a coil cut, they don't come that way. So make sure the pickups that you're getting in the guitar have 4-conductor cabling. The 4xx series all have 4-conductor if I'm not mistaken, while the '57x series have braided single. Thre might not even be an LP with covered pickups out there with 4-conductor. But I'm no LP buff so don't quote me. There are some LP's with coil cuts, like some signature models.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

anyone stick in PAF pro's and Fred's with a coil split in a LP?? I just purchased a sweet LP Standard limited Edition with the 60's neck (i've got small hands), still in shipping though.

How versatile are LP's tonewise??? They have two tone and two volume controls, but i dont know how many different tones you can get with these...if there is no coil splitter. I mean, can you make LP's sound anything like Fender single coil tones, with a stock LP? How do the tonal changes sound like when using the 3 way switch??
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Why not rewire your Les Paul like a JS?? ditch the two volume two tone setup and go with a master volume master tone with push-pulls to do the coil tap and the high pass filter. Then you have two more pots to play with. Maybe a low cut and a mid cut filter?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2
anyone stick in PAF pro's and Fred's with a coil split in a LP?? I just purchased a sweet LP Standard limited Edition with the 60's neck (i've got small hands), still in shipping though.

How versatile are LP's tonewise??? They have two tone and two volume controls, but i dont know how many different tones you can get with these...if there is no coil splitter. I mean, can you make LP's sound anything like Fender single coil tones, with a stock LP? How do the tonal changes sound like when using the 3 way switch??
Stock Les Paul will sound way different from Strat or Tele, it has mahogany body/neck so that effects to sound also alot. Without coil split you won't sound anything like Strat.

Tags
coil split , coil tap , fretboard radius , guitar players , high pass filter , humbucker sound , les paul , les paul classic , les paul standard , mahogany body , master tone , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode