les paul - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
les paul

Lately I've been getting this big itch for a les paul. I think I might get one instead of another hellraiser FR(black this time). I think they're really comfy to play, with the scale length and everything, and the tone is great. For some reason the whole trem/24 fret thing isn't such a big deal anymore. Don't get me wrong, I use the trem for effects and a bit of flutter, but for 2, maybe 3 songs. It's also such a bitch to change tunings. I go from standard(drop 1/2 step) to drop c#(drop d down 1/2 step) pretty consistently. If it were a true gibson, just a studio model would suffice(maybe a used standard) but I've actually considered picking up an epiphone lp custom for $699. What do you guys think of the epiphone model(the nicer customs w/ flame top)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 PM

Re: les paul

I have been told by a couple of Les Paul owners, that it is better to get a nice Epiphone rather than a cheap Les Paul. I have no experiance with that, but I was told that more than once.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM

If you're thinking on Gibson (or Epiphone) because you want a fixed bridge and change tunings I suggest you to try a Gibson SG before decide. I was playing the SG Reissue and it really impress me. (and I'm not a Gibson fan)
If you still think that the LP model is better for you I will say no, don't go for an Epiphone lp Custom and go for a used Standard. My comment is based on its quality.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM
tTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I have been told by a couple of Les Paul owners, that it is better to get a nice Epiphone rather than a cheap Les Paul.

A guitar mag I was reading today said the opposite; an LP Studio is a huge improvement over an Epi. Besides, what's the difference between a Studio and a Standard other than figured woods and fancy binding?

Again, no personal experience with this, so don't sue me I'm wrong.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 PM

I really don't know, but they were basically saying the upper end Epis were nicer than the entry level LPs.

I think this is where you have to just go and play several and find one you like.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 PM

I am a stupidly-big Les Paul Custom fan. I have never owned one, mainly because I cant afford a Gibson yet. But I have played Epiphone, Tokai, and whoever else - and nothing even touches a good Gibbo. I know the QC on the new Gibson models is shocking. But if you find a good one, they are the best.

Bottom line is if you want a Les Paul, 99% of the time you want a Gibson. And nothing quite matches them from what I have played.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 05:40 PM

I know I will never get that itch for a les paul. Simply not my type of guitars but I am gassing for a PRS .

Regards

André

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I really don't know, but they were basically saying the upper end Epis were nicer than the entry level LPs.

I think this is where you have to just go and play several and find one you like.
Maybe they were referring to the Epi Elitists? That would make sense, seeing as they're made by the same fine folk who make MIJ Ibby's.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3

I went up and tried out a few epi's and gibsons. I've never really liked sg's. Still don't. I tried the epis and the only one I really liked was the custom model, it was heavier than the other epi lp's. It felt better, sounded better. I also tried an LP studio which was the winner. It is definately not a cheap gibson, though only about $1300. It's just not as flashy. I thought the ruby red stain was beautiful.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 AM

A friend of mine still has his 1989 Gibson LP Studio (wine red) and aside from it needing new frets, it still plays very nice.

My favorite LP of all time is Randy Rhoads' vintage white LP Custom.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM

Anything from a LP Classic and up is the good stuff. The high end LP Studios that are almost in the Classic price range dont do a thing for me.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 AM

are you set on a gibson or epiphone, cuz I have three michael kelly patriot models that I love very much. I would own either over a epiphone.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 AM

if you want something different from an epi or gib, there is plenty out there. Not all of its any good though. Tokai, Greco, Burny, Heritage, all good copies according to reports. But again.......they're not a Gibson! But if your not bothered by the name, those mentioned above are well worth checking out. Greco and Burny can be found "used" of course.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 AM

I actually have a Gibson LP Custom and a Epi LP Custom. Tone is completely different, Pickups on the Epi are not all that great.But the he Epi plays and feels nice, is heavy, solid and with a pickup change definately has alot of potential .The Elitist Models are as far as i know discontinued and they are insanely heavy.

BTW http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50935
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
I actually have a Gibson LP Custom and a Epi LP Custom. Tone is completely different, Pickups on the Epi are not all that great.But the he Epi plays and feels nice, is heavy, solid and with a pickup change definately has alot of potential .The Elitist Models are as far as i know discontinued and they are insanely heavy.

BTW http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50935
The Elitist line still exists, although a few models have been discontinued.

An Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus can be purchased for around $1100 with the case. Very nice guitars.

Tags
fixed bridge , gibson les paul , guitar mag , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , mahogany body , michael kelly , randy rhoads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode