Les Paul alternative...... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Les Paul alternative......

So here's the deal guys. About a year ago I bought a Les Paul Studio deluxe, sunburst, no binding or pickguard, and coil-tapped. I changed the bridge pickup to a JB, and really enjoy the sound. The thing is, I have never fallen in love with this guitar like I thought I would. This was to be my main ax, the one that I would keep forever, but i find it sits in the case more often than naught.

The main problem I have is the heel. I do not have huge hands, so playing past the 14th or 15th fret is near impossible. The other thing, and this may sound kinda silly, is that its just too preatty. I find that I'm constantly wiping finger prints off of it and trying to maintain its original sheen. Finally i've never got the action to feel just right. Its either too high and cumbersome to play, or too low and buzzes everywhere.

So I need some ideas for a replacement. Have tried some SG's and like the sound and feel, except for the super thick neck. I also really enjoyed the Music Man Reflex, but I cannot afford the price tag right now.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Les Paul alternative......

It would help to know some of your required specs and features, besides a thinner neck. Does wood type matter? What pickup configs are you considering? Any particular body shape?

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

The studio deluxe has a 60's neck which I really liked, coming from playing RG's. Looking mainly towards dual humbucker config, but not concerned about stock pickups as I can change them for something else. Body shape is not a big deal, I just need something with a cutaway so I can access the upper register of the neck.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 120

PRS SE with the wide-thin neck. Looks nice and pretty, but isn't really expensive, so you wont be worrying so much about how it looks, and you can spend more time playing it.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've played those and thought they were good for the price. My budget is around $1000 - 1500, so I would like to get another US made guitar
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

In all honesty, I know the guitar I want...... its the Les Paul Axcess. I just don't want the Floyd, and cant afford a $3000 price tag.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzuncc84 View Post
In all honesty, I know the guitar I want...... its the Les Paul Axcess. I just can't afford a $3000 price tag.
You and me both Brotha!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Yeah, I've played those and thought they were good for the price. My budget is around $1000 - 1500, so I would like to get another US made guitar
Does it really have to be a US made guitar? If a guitar plays well then it must be decent. You'll be able to save some money, do your pickup and tuner upgrades and still have money over. And what a kick-ass guitar you will have too.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You could get an old Ibanez Artist AR-300 for that much, or a newer AR-2000.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 AM

i have my Edwards to appease me in this turf:

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Les Paul alternative......

give an austin lespaul a try , they have a wider neck than the wizard and play awesome.
and they are cheap and well made and have an ibanez quality to them .pickups are the only weak part and gotoh tuners fit them.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Reviews: 10

At that price tag, look into getting a used EBMM Axis or Axis Super Sport if you want a hardtail, especially if you liked the Reflex.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

yea i've had my eye on the axis for a while, but i've never got to actually play a real one (played the sterling model, and thought it was quite good for the price)

do you think the axis can get a "ballsy" sg like tone since its basswood?
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 AM

Reviews: 1

Price range?
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

Reviews: 19

ESP Eclipse...

Tags
alternative , gibson sg , les paul , music man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode