Les paul Black Beauty Coming... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Les paul Black Beauty Coming...

I'm actually having to chance to buy 1 of 2 Les Paul custom Black Beauty in my town 2 differents guitar shops have 1 each and I need some advice from you guys out there plz. I didn't see the real guitars yet only the pictures. After I decide I'll go play them.

1- 2450 $ CAN a 1993 Reissue, 2 PUs, looks clean and the gold is not worn anywhere.

2- near 1800 $ CAN ( 2 or 3 PUs I can't tell ) I don't know the year of reissue and the finish is beaten quite a bit from what I saw on the photo.

Now what I need to know is : Do you think fakes of these exists or I can be quite assured they are real ? Serial example ? Because I've seen some with gold plated tuners and some with green keys and a couple different knobs installed on pictures all around the web. Is it normal because of the year reissue thing ? I heard they are pretty rare now, do these guitars actually have a value and raise as time goes ? Maybe not because of the reissue models still in production. And finally, which one would you pick up personnaly

Hugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Les paul Black Beauty Coming...

I would usually offer advice, but perhaps you should visit the Gibson forums. Seems like our forums exist partly on expanding our knowledge, and sharing it. I think they could answer you more accurately. Probably faster too. Do you live in Quebec city btw?

J'suis de montreal - bonne chance avec ta guitare. 1800 ca d'laire pas mal bon comme prix, si sa te derrange pas dacheter une guitare qui a plus dusure
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

cool c'est vrai j'avais pas pensť aller sur leur forum Thanks
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow125 View Post
I'm actually having to chance to buy 1 of 2 Les Paul custom Black Beauty in my town 2 differents guitar shops have 1 each and I need some advice from you guys out there plz. I didn't see the real guitars yet only the pictures. After I decide I'll go play them.

1- 2450 $ CAN a 1993 Reissue, 2 PUs, looks clean and the gold is not worn anywhere.

2- near 1800 $ CAN ( 2 or 3 PUs I can't tell ) I don't know the year of reissue and the finish is beaten quite a bit from what I saw on the photo.

Now what I need to know is : Do you think fakes of these exists or I can be quite assured they are real ? Serial example ? Because I've seen some with gold plated tuners and some with green keys and a couple different knobs installed on pictures all around the web. Is it normal because of the year reissue thing ? I heard they are pretty rare now, do these guitars actually have a value and raise as time goes ? Maybe not because of the reissue models still in production. And finally, which one would you pick up personnaly

Hugo
Is the 1993 a 1958 Reissue?

Fakes can exist, but if you get the serial numbers and call Gibson they can verify it for you no problem. Tuners and knobs can be changed easily, so Im not suprised you have seen different knobs and tuners in pictures on the web. For the most part I wouldnt count on the value rising too much, but you can easily get what you paid for out of them if you want to sell it later. I'd pick up which ever one played the best. If you plan on reselling though, the cleaner one would probably be your best bet. I wouldnt bother joining the Gibson boards unless you want to be beaten over the head with
1)Gibson vs Epiphone
2)Difference between Standard, Custom, Studio, etc etc
3)What EMGs should I put in my LP.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
. . .
2)Difference between Standard, Custom, Studio, etc etc
. . .
Something I've always wondered. The whole mess confuses me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 PM

The main differences are neck shape, pickups, and dress (inlays, binding, etc) . Some of it depends on year, and generally Customs are the only ones with ebony boards while the others have rosewood, though for a while studios had ebony boards.

Deluxes were basically Standards with mini-humbuckers.

For awhile in the begining Customs didnt have a maple top. A 1958RI Custom then should be solid mahogany without the maple. I can PM you more if you have questions, I dont want to take over this thread with it.

Last edited by elcid; 05-28-2008 at 10:09 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The main differences are neck shape, pickups, and dress (inlays, binding, etc) . Some of it depends on year, and generally Customs are the only ones with ebony boards while the others have rosewood, though for a while studios had ebony boards.

Deluxes were basically Standards with mini-humbuckers.

For awhile in the begining Customs didnt have a maple top. A 1958RI Custom then should be solid mahogany without the maple. I can PM you more if you have questions, I dont want to take over this thread with it.
Alpine White studios still have ebony boards. Others are rosewood. But yea, it gets confusing and the specs can vary a LOT depending on year, model, etc.

Can we get some pics?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 AM

Talking Re: Les paul Black Beauty Coming...

Quote:
3)What EMGs should I put in my LP.

The ones with Seymour Duncan written on them???
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Dude, thats cheap, LP Customs would run you over 3.5k US around here! 1.8 and 2.4 canadian, id get them both and flip 'em
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Are you serious ? 3.5 k !!! for a new one of course.... well I'm going to see them this saturday. Pics to come soon I suppose...

Tags
ebony boards , guitar shop , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode