Les Paul Confusion - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Les Paul Confusion

I've been thinking about getting a Les Paul recently but there are so many bloody variations of the guitar. Can anyone care to enlighten me which Les Paul comes before the next? (Special, Studio, etc) What model can compare to the quality/build of a JS1200 or a Jem7v?

Thanks,
Lost guitarist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Re: Les Paul Confusion

I think it goes: Junior, Special, Studio, Classic, Standard, Custom, Supreme... I'm not really sure where to place the special models like the BFG, New Century, etc., though.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
I think it goes: Junior, Special, Studio, Classic, Standard, Custom, Supreme... I'm not really sure where to place the special models like the BFG, New Century, etc., though.
The Custom (Custom Shop made now) is better than the Supreme, which is factory produced like the Standard. I shose a Standard over a same-price black Supreme because the extra money only pays for decoration, and I wanted a 'burst goddammit!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:57 AM

get a classic or a standard.. I prefer the classic myself.. Stay away from stupid things they put out like the menace, etc etc, If you buy a classic, standard, custom, or supreme they will hold there value down the road.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Any of the standards (Classic, Faded, regular) are the best choice. Just make sure you get a one piece back.

FYI: Gibson is raising prices again soon.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm currently trying to hunt down a classic or a standard myself to ease my "I wanna sound like Doug Aldrich" syndrome

Ben
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Any of the standards (Classic, Faded, regular) are the best choice. Just make sure you get a one piece back.

FYI: Gibson is raising prices again soon.
+1 Just get a sexy one
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Check out this Standard

And she's all mine !!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I LOVE my custom class 5 Purple Flame (custom color, BTW), I was just polishing it up last night. . . I'll post a few pics with my 'fleet' later, but it's definetely worth checking out. If that's a bit prices, the Classic's are very nice, as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Also theres the Deluxe in between the Classic and the Standard. I own a Standard and a Custom and have had a few Classics. If you like the thinner necks then go with the classic it has the 60s neck but I always preferred the 50s neck (like a baseball bat). If you can afford it go with the standard (you can get a 50s or 60s neck) because its just a better guitar than the Classic IMO. I never liked the tuners on either guitar but I really hate the aged fretmarkers on the Classic, they look way yellow. The deluxe is basically a classic with the mini humbuckers in them and for what I play I just couldnt get the tone I wanted. No matter what you get make sure it has Burstbucker pickups in it because they absolutely rock.

Peace
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Dag

I highly recommend Faded. Now I bought my second one. It's cheaper but as good (if not better) as stnd/classic. The only difference is look. Get it !

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM

The Supreme is a completely different LP. Chambered body, carved top and back, no access plate on the back for the electronics...THe menace, bfg and so on are basically just modified Studios
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM

Reviews: 1

The Classic Plus or Premium Plus is very sweet if you can find one. They were discontinued back in 1998 so you'll have to look for one used. Fleabay is one place to check. It's where I got mine.

If you want something with a neck sort of like a JS or Jem, look for an LP with the 60s (slim taper) neck vs. the 50s (rounded profile) neck.

Have you checked out Gibson's website? They have all sorts of specs on their guitars there.

Tags
custom shop , doug aldrich , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode