Les Paul freaks - your advice please. - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Re: Les Paul freaks - your advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
Some cheap Les Paul copys may have alder bodies instead of mahogany body.

I would give a try for a Tokai Love Rock, they are great guitars. Many people say that Japanese made Tokai Love Rock models like LS80F or LS85Q are on par with real Gibson Les Paul Standards. Les Paul Standards cost usually twice as much as Tokai Love Rocks.

And then there is always those Custom Shop Tokai's which cost from 2000 to 3000 euros but they are as good as Custom Shop Gibsons.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/

http://www.tokairegistry.com/
I've gotta try their PRS copies (MIJ) those are supposed to be as good as PRS.

Regards

André

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I was intending to buy new, unless I find a good one one the way. Desert Burst is my favorite of the current finished.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Did that last msg sound like an advert for cottaging eep

Rob
If it was, I'm really not interested!
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
If it was, I'm really not interested!
Thank f***

Seriously, Desert Burst does look just a little sweet, Let me know how you get on with the newer models bro, Just may have to sort my shiat out quicker

Rob
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Photos will be posted!

Any other comments from anyone about where the QC has gone wrong with Gibsons of late?
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 AM

As Rob mentioned, I am seriously considering selling my 1981 Tobacco Burst Custom. Latest bought of 7-string GAS has left me needing a little cash. As this don't get played much, I am be willing to sell for the right price
Anyways, a pic of my LP Custom
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:39 AM

Mmmm, Is that My, erm, Your PMC ya know drop me a price on the LP bro

Rob
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Damn you Gurj!

Send me your price asap please!
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:26 PM

I think you need to go over to the Les Paul forum and ask there. Those guys live and bre4athe LP's, and their opinions will be more throughly considered. LPs cost a bundle, you should get eh best advice you possibly can if you are looking at the guitar as an investment.
And if you are looking for an investment, an original, mint condition LP Deluxe from the early 70's will likely be as much money as a new one and appreciate faster as well.

jim
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Agreed (partly) on the forum, but I know and trust people round here so I'll ask here as well as my Gibson obsessed mates.

Example: If you ask here what's wrong with Jems, you'll get a torrent of people telling you they are perfect then find a little truth in between (neck joint paint cracks etc). I figure there are not so many people blinded by the Gibson name here so responses might be more honest! Just a theory.

Not interested in investments, I'm interested in a guitar to play, and I'll almost certainly buy new.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:53 AM

To be honest, I had a 2004 Gibson Standard and it rocked. the quality was fine and I actually like the newer Burstbucker Pro pickups better than any other Gibson pickups (save for vintage PAFs). It got sold to help pay for the arrival of my son, but I would have no problem buying a new Gibson again. Like anything else, you just need to try them out before you buy.

I think the cause of the current "bad reputation" for Gibson has to do with their pricing. At the level they charge, people expect near-perfection... and who can blame them? With all of the cheap knock-offs out there with similar construction/materials to a Paul, you need to truly provide something great for the 3-5x price increase. This feeling magnifies any flaws, IMO.
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:02 AM

gibsons aren't bad, but two things i dislike the most about Lespauls. 1 they are heavy. 2. the neck joint is absolutely awful for upper fret access. so uncomfortable. they need to make a neck through and scallop that neck joint down!!!
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 PM

I am looking for a paula since some time now, and what i found is that first you need to decide on one of the many models they have, and narrow it down from there. The only thing i have found is that sometimes the paintjob is not that great, but all of the surely played nice and sounded nice too, depending on model. And everyone should one one
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:37 PM

If you play 100 standard line Les Pauls, you may not find one without a warped neck. Additionally, Gibson sends them out of the factory practically without any tension on the truss rod so it makes it tough to tell if it's warped or just overly bowed.

However, I have never played a custom shop Gibson that is any less than perfect. They cost a bit more but are well worth it. The 60 and 58s do not cost all that much more than a LP Standard or Classic (the '58 has a super fat neck where the 60 has the slim-taper which is nice!).
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Where to start with the problems at Gibson? Understand that I'm a Gibson freak, been my favorite guitar maker since 1976 when I saw Ace playing a Tobacco Sunburst Standard. Back when he only had 2 pickups in his LP's...

First problem I have with them is thier sales policy. I cannot support any coompany that will willingly screw over the small "Mom and Pop" stores then get in bed with Musicians Friend. Reason #1 why I won't buy a new Gibson...

Second, I don't trust them. Hang out in the Les Paul forum and read for a couple of weeks. You'll hear some interesting things. Like Gibson necks stamped "Made in USA" being shipped over here from China. That is an interesting rumor, I don't know if I belive that one but if you look at their policy regarding the posting of pics on the internet, I wouldn't doubt it...

Next, they have started to whore out the Gibson name. Product placement in new car Commercials? Gibson advertising on TV? Huh? When did that become nessassarry?

Next is weight relief holes. I use to not have a problem with this but I now do. If you buy a new production line Gibson has drilled 13 holes in the mahogany, to make it weigh less. What? Aren't LP's suppose to be heavy? I think so. But others bitched so in go the 13 holes. Don't believe me? XRay your new production line LP and post the pic...

Quality control. Gibson has had a problem lately with LP's and quality. Gouged fretboards due to improper cleaning of the frets. Poor inlays. improper position of the studs for the stop tailpiece. Saddles installed crooked. Unaccepable "lemon peal" finish issues, most apparant around the neck where it meets the body. Crappy use of wood. I've seen some pieces of rosewood on $5000 Custom Shop LP's that shouldn't be on a Harmony. One question though, why do LP's have most of the quality control problems? SG's seem to come right out of the box ready to go. I would estimate 4-10 LP's to be good, 8-10 SG's. That's my expierience anyway...

Don't get caught up in the anti 70's (Norlin era) LP's. They get trashed because of the way they were built but I've played many a good 70''s LP's, Customs included. I think they can be great guitars, rivaling the Custom Shop...

Like I said, I love Gibson. I don't like to see what they are doing now. But it won't change until the president steps down. Harry is not a musician, guitar lover or anything like that. He's a total businessman. He's doing what he knows. But I don't think that's a good idea for a instrument company, maybe a dot com but not Gibson...

Tags
alder bodies , custom shop , custom shop gibson , david mccarroll , fixed bridge , fixed bridge ibanez , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul standard , grover tuners , guitar shop , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local luthier , mahogany body , maple neck , maple necks , neck binding , neck joint , output pickup , pickup selector switch , pro pickups , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , straight neck , strap lock , super strat , tobacco sunburst , truss rod , upper fret , upper fret access , warped neck , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode