Les Paul freaks - your advice please. - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Les Paul freaks - your advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea
Why don't you just spend the $3000 + on THIS, instead:

RR
5 reasons really:
Because:
1. I want a fixed bridge.
2. I don't like to control layout.
3. The ones worth having are a hell of a lot more than $3k in the UK.
4. To my eye there is something not quite right about the shape.
5. I want a Gison Les Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM

The controls vary with different models, and I am sure you could find something to suit you. And PRS, of course, makes fixed bridge instruments as well.

However, I can't argue with points 3-5. If it isn't right for you, then it just isn't. Guitars are very subjective, aren't they.

RR
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

5 was tongue in cheek.

I like them, just not as much. I have specific and private reasons for the Les Paul search which I'll share once I find one.
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
This stuff about seventies and eighties Les Pauls is nonsense - I worked for several years in a shop here in Sydney which sells more CS Gibsons than any other shop in Australia, along with being the biggest "vintage" guitar shop in Australia - the new LP Standard (from 2004 onwards) with the nitro finish, burstbuckers and flamed tops are the best "new" guitar Gibson have done in ages - they are a vast improvement over just about anything that came from Gibson in the seventies, eighties, and for that part I might as well throw in the nineties as well
I must agree the late 70s models and early 80s models are trash. They got better for a while in the late 80s to the later portion of the 90s, but back then about one in three or more non custom shop Les Pauls would have a straight neck after setup. That is a ratio that is about 100 times higher than the Les Pauls Gibson is producing today. Additionally, the smaller stuff was done better as well - the neck binding was usually a hackjob but still much better than on any of the current Gibsons I have seen. The LP standards in the late 90s sometime had Grover tuners? (or something like them) which were a bit of an improvement over the Klusons.

I know a guy who owned a 1970 thinline Les Paul and loved it but needed money and sold it. He bought a '79 and hated it and sold it. I played a '79 thinline LP that was probably the same one from his description of its condition - a typical late 70s Les Paul, and despite the bad rep that their low quality of the later 70s Les Pauls to today got them, it was much better than anything Gibson is putting out today.

On the plus side, every now and then you will find a good non custom shop Les Paul and it will be better than a late 70s model. They have also done other stuff right. The BurstbuckerV and T pickups are great sounding CLEAN pickups and capture the classic Les Paul sound, but the 498/490s gained up much better and their cleans were not bad. They replaced the narrow bridge on the LP Classic, a mod that many classic owners had to perform themselves (thankfully I have not had intonation problems on the thin bridge piece on mine). They also stopped using the small, poorly sized (in relation to each other) frets that they used on Classics until the late 90s which never made sense to me as the classic comes with fairly loud ceramic magnet pickups designed to target the hard rock community, many of whom like to play hard and the frets were designed for playing light jazz.

The custom shop models I have played were all very good, and the '58 or '60 are worth the extra $300-$400 but the '59 is way overpriced to get the neck that is inbetween. One '58 reissue stood out above the rest and was near perfect - even the little things like the binding being aligned to the fretboard. There is a guy I see around at local stores who both collects vintage gear and buys, repairs and sells it. He played the guitar too and he said that it might be the best Gibson from the 50s until now that he has ever played. However, I picked up a few LP Standards and Classics after that and could not believe the price tag was over $400. There was absolutely no comparison between the two even despite the fact that the '58 neck is way too fat for my liking.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
5 reasons really:
Because:
1. I want a fixed bridge.
Understood.

Quote:
2. I don't like to control layout.
Me neither. The pickup selector switch is convienently located on a LP!

Quote:
3. The ones worth having are a hell of a lot more than $3k in the UK.
They are here too. Custom shop Les Pauls I've seen are much better and cost less.

Quote:
4. To my eye there is something not quite right about the shape.
It does not look right... agreed!

Quote:
5. I want a Gison Les Paul.
Someone should start a company named Gison and make quality Les Pauls for $1500!

Here's my thought. Instead of having different level models with binding, we have one basic trim, like a LP standard or whatever and different models will vary the neck size from thin to fat (probably skip super fat), give choice of n ebony or rosewood fretboards and quieter cleaner PAF style pickups, louder pickups that will do it all, and really loud pickups.
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
My theory is that Gibsons (and PRS, but they're similar markets) have been highly fashionable for the last 10 years. These things are cyclic (noticed the increase in strats in music videos recently?) so Gibson need to ring every $ out of the product that they can now.

Who knows, the super strat may become cool again in 5 years or so!

Teles seem to be the guitar of choice I see lately... anyone else?
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 PM

I just bought a Tele! It's on order from Fender right now. Teles absolutely rock, and have tons of gain from the bridge single coil (I guess it's all the treble). I think I am going to just leave it stock and play the crap out of it.

This is what I ordered:

American Deluxe - Aged Cherry Burst with binding, maple board, noisless pups and S1 switching system. I can't wait!
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Very nice, and today I found my Les Paul. Photos etc soon!
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen
Teles seem to be the guitar of choice I see lately... anyone else?
My friend had a tele. He had a Legacy and we both thought it sounded like ass with all of our guitars with humbuckers, but it did sound killer with his telecaster. So he played thrash on a telecaster.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
My friend had a tele. He had a Legacy and we both thought it sounded like ass with all of our guitars with humbuckers, but it did sound killer with his telecaster. So he played thrash on a telecaster.

That's too cool.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea
That's too cool.
I know, I'm just waiting for someone to play thrash on a banjo!
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 AM

Nice tele but one thing i hate about stratocaster and telecaster, they look dam big, and lp is body is really small, btu the neck joint is really a thorn. Anyway threadstarter already got his lespaul? Im considering over agile les paul, they do look attractive for the specs, and the PRICE!
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:42 PM

gibson quality is crap imo.i have looked at many lp's in this last year,and i have seen glue oosed out of the inlay,loose jack,wobbly tuners.when i went shopping for a les paul i was gonna buy a standard or a studio.and after i looked them over(bout 40 or so guitars)then i looked at the epiphones,i could not find anythig wrong on the epi,nothing!so for 2$ less and not a thing wrong yet the high$lp were in bad shape,it made me sick.one guitar was 3300>beautiful top on it and wha????glue ossing out of the inlays.best thin i ever did .so i bought an epi,changed out the pups,tuners,and the control switch at a cost of 150$
\and voila my favorite guitar,2 years later and i will never sell this guitar
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Jukes, I have to disagree with you. Gibson quality has certainly been crap, but is now no worse than most other major manufacturers.
My thoughts having played loads before I bought mine (pics soon btw):
1. Play loads - they all sound different.
2. Watch out for old stock labelled as new - I found loads of "2005" models in finishes that were discontinued years ago. They were usually the crap ones. Stands to reason that if they have been in the shop that long there is a good reason why!
3. Ignore the 50s/60s neck stuff. Generally 50s are bigger, but not always and both were very variable in profile and size.
4. The new humbuckers are a lot more versatile than I expected. They are surprisingly good at high gain stuff.
5. The factory set up matches Ibanez for crapness.
6. Don't even think about not using some form of strap lock.

I'm sure I think of more stuff after a few gigs!

Right now I'm seriously impressed with the LP I bought.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 PM

i am happy that you are happy:0,but..if i am going to spend 2500-3000$(canada)every guitar should be perfect!meaning no flaws.you ever see a prs with noticable flaws?i have looked and i can't find any and i am fairly new to guitar so my eye is not as experienced as others who know guitars inside and out.meaning a new guy to this instrument "would " probably miss some flaws.my epi build quality was excellant.could not find any flaws(cept the cheaper hardware)
cheers
norm

Tags
alder bodies , custom shop , custom shop gibson , david mccarroll , fixed bridge , fixed bridge ibanez , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul standard , grover tuners , guitar shop , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local luthier , mahogany body , maple neck , maple necks , neck binding , neck joint , output pickup , pickup selector switch , pro pickups , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , straight neck , strap lock , super strat , tobacco sunburst , truss rod , upper fret , upper fret access , warped neck , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode